Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:07 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,254 times

Advertisements

Recently we took a several day trip to Maine that was very positive. We visited the Waterville-Skowhegan area and got together with a realtor to view several properties there. The weather was outstanding, sunny and warm and not too humid. The people we encountered were quite friendly and helpful. One lady, when we pulled up to a small post office to purchase stamps, was on her way out to lunch. Instead of telling us to come back in an half hour or hour, she re-opened the post office, sold us what we needed and then locked up and went to lunch and did not appear upset at all (we were NOT insistent either and were ready to leave and come back later). I did not notice very much of a "lobsta", "chowda" accent there except in one or two people we encountered. And the overwhelming majority of license plates that we saw there were Maine license plates. The restaurant that we dined at in the area had good, home-cooked food with generous portions and made their own potato chips there. The stores that we shopped in were good, I especially liked the Mardens. Our hotel room had been recently renovated and was clean and equipped and the manager and staff were friendly and helpful. The price was right too. Waterville was a bit bigger of a city, business-wise, than we had expected but I am not saying this to be critical. We wanted to make a trip to Bangor but didn't get the opportunity this time. All in all it was a good, relaxing trip. Thank You Maine and Mainers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:36 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
You're welcome, but you realized that on your own. Maine needs visitors. I don't like the term "tourist". We have visitors and in an old fashioned way we still try to make them feel welcome. Many are surprised at this until they realize it really is a genuine Maine thing.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
thanks for sharing, its good to hear some positives!!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:43 AM

332 posts, read 504,746 times
Dauntless Dan, it's nice to hear positive impressions of my hometown, Waterville. It is none of my business, but I'm real curious about the properties you reviewed. I've been obsessed with the mls listings because I am hoping to relocate back to Maine as soon as I can. And even though I am retiring in three days (!!!!), I don't think I'll have my house ready for sale any time soon. I am very impatient to get back to Maine. Sigh.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
It is wonderful to hear that you had such a nice trip

Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,858 times
Once school is out you will notice many out of state plates. As far as the accent goes, come to the mountains.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM

37 posts, read 53,652 times
We made a recent visit to Maine and primarily the Skowhegan area and noticed most of the people we talked to had a heavy accent. We had a rental car with Maine plates so we didn't look too out of place. Did you find a property to purchase?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,685 times
Default tapping rubie slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thanks for sharing, its good to hear some positives!!
It is!!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,685 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Once school is out you will notice many out of state plates. As far as the accent goes, come to the mountains.
Accent...... wee wee

Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM

56 posts, read 78,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Accent...... wee wee

I prefer "you can't there from here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine