Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
very well said

have you known someone to put on a simple addition to a deck, or a shed or a sun room , and had to take it down ?? because it wasnt "approved"?
I have seen that happen out in Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 79,188 times
Based on your post I think you might be a little happier if you moved to NH rather than Maine. NH is the most conservative and practical state in New England. Maine is a great place but the reason we chose to buy our home and raise our family in NH rather than Maine is the day to day concerns. There are more jobs in NH, more nearby hospitals stores etc etc etc

There are a lot of great quiet semi rural towns in southeastern NH which would provide you with privacy yet be close to jobs and stores. if you're honestly willing to drive 20-60 minutes just to reach a Supermarket I'd say you have a lot of options in both states though.

We can tell you this or that about what it's like to live up here but you really need to come experience it for yourself.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Pissah View Post
Based on your post I think you might be a little happier if you moved to NH rather than Maine. NH is the most conservative and practical state in New England. Maine is a great place but the reason we chose to buy our home and raise our family in NH rather than Maine is the day to day concerns. There are more jobs in NH, more nearby hospitals stores etc etc etc
More jobs, does not mean more conservative.

Reduced gun-rights does not mean more conservative.

More urban does not mean more conservative.

Higher taxes, higher home / land prices does not mean more conservative.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM

56 posts, read 79,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
More jobs, does not mean more conservative.

Reduced gun-rights does not mean more conservative.

More urban does not mean more conservative.

Higher taxes, higher home / land prices does not mean more conservative.
What's the point of your post?

Are you claiming ME is more conservative than NH?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,207,858 times
I've lived in both. For cost of living, I prefer Maine. For good paying employment and reasonable taxation, NH is better. They're different. Live Freeze and Die Baby! I think NH is definitely more "conservative", but practical? I don't think so. The "citizen legislature" can be pretty nutty at times. Maine's got way more road maintenance cost and is much farther flung than NH. Heck, I'm halfway up and nearly north of NH. I like 'em both, but overall prefer Maine because the property taxes in NH are insane. I have friends just over the border in the same business I'm in, they grew up there, and they wouldn't leave NH. I could go back over there, but my property taxes, for the same thing, would probably quintuple. It might all work out in the balance, but I grew up in Maine. They're just different states.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,395,502 times
I didn't have time to read all the posts so I started with the OP's post and used the old Evelyn Wood's on it and this is what I got...

NEEDS...40's...kids...Physician Asst' hospital/clinic...acreage...food and coast close...conservative...pay cut...visiting later...NH compare...feel up the state...

I may have some wrong...and I'm kind of ignorant about beautiful NH...but anyways, I always feel on these threads that the "Maine Highlands" gets no respect. (I have an uncle in Skowheagan named Rodney too.) Land is cheap. Houses are cheap. Medical services are plenty. The pike in Newport is 25 miles away from Dover and the pike in Howland going north is 35 miles away. You would find all sizes of lakes, ponds, rivers, old abandoned buildings and factories, old cemeteries, gravel pits, moose country, edge of the big wilderness, remoteness close or quick access to the deep woods, nature and animals of all types, lower land costs and some of the scenery that to me Maine should be known for is when you are driving around in central Maine, you will see hills and views, hills and view, over and over. It is pretty country and you always feel like the season is within you when you drive around Maine to explore and familiarize with the land.

But I do understand about living closer to the coast. Just like in Maine where my family homestead is in Dover, I live hours from the ocean here in Sac just like in Maine. Most of my relatives in Maine solve this dilemma by having a camp on a lake.

I hope that you will drive all around Maine and not forget the best part, I mean the 2nd or 3rd best part of the "real" Maine.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I've lived in both. For cost of living, I prefer Maine. For good paying employment and reasonable taxation, NH is better. They're different. Live Freeze and Die Baby! I think NH is definitely more "conservative", but practical? I don't think so. The "citizen legislature" can be pretty nutty at times. Maine's got way more road maintenance cost and is much farther flung than NH. Heck, I'm halfway up and nearly north of NH. I like 'em both, but overall prefer Maine because the property taxes in NH are insane. I have friends just over the border in the same business I'm in, they grew up there, and they wouldn't leave NH. I could go back over there, but my property taxes, for the same thing, would probably quintuple. It might all work out in the balance, but I grew up in Maine. They're just different states.
I do not pay income taxes, and I have not paid them for decades, so I tend to think of taxes in terms of property taxes. It is very hard to find property taxes lower than treegrowth here in Maine.

I like how pro-gun Maine is, likewise I find it hard to imagine anyone claiming a state to be 'conservative' with restrictive gun laws.

All that being said; simply because a state is more urban, has higher taxes, higher taxes, higher home and land prices does not mean that that state is more conservative.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM

49 posts, read 105,127 times
I'm in the Mid Coast region just outside of Rockland (about 7,200 residents). From what you explained, you will do well in many parts of Maine. Since I live here, I can tell you more about it than other parts. There are always listings for health care professionals needed. We have a hospital, Pen-Bay Med Center as well as many health care facilities in the area. Miles Memorial is about 30-40 minutes away Damariscotta and there are many doctors offices in the area. Oh and of course, we have high speed internet. HA HA!! There are many areas up and down the mid coast where one can homestead quite comfortably. Take a trip up here and see what's out there. We really like it here. We are mid to late 30's but have no kids so I can't comment on the schools. There are a good number of home schoolers here. Also, Portland is a very small city, with about 66,000 residents and Augusta has about half that. I wouldn't discount the outskirts of these areas. You really need to come out here a few times and check it out. That's the only way you can decide for yourselves. And you stated your husband will be taking a pay cut? Like I said, there are ads upon ads for medical professionals here. More so than non medical jobs it seems. I wouldn't be too sure about him taking a pay cut. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM

506 posts, read 685,244 times
Augusta has the best hospital in the state now (all new, all private rooms, latest tech) and has most of the big retail and restaurant chains that Portland and Bangor have. Within 30 minutes of Augusta is a huge selection of small Central Maine towns including many lake areas (Belgrade Lakes, China Lake, Cobbosseecontee Lake). And all of these areas are within an hours drive of the Mid-Coast (Bath/Brunswick, Rockland, Camden, Belfast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine