Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,206,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it's easy to find liberal towns,,,,just look at the tax/mil rates..

I live in a conservative town, my taxes are at least half of what the nearby towns are for the same property as i have -this was an open effort, not to tank on town/government positions, and payrolls

i had a condo in a very liberal town- the taxes on this condo was over 6k per year-ridiculous, but there is so many on the city/government nipple , it feeds upon itself..

its easy to identify liberal/democrat factions- most anyone that gets paid by taxpayers
how many bush/cheney bumper stickers do you see from any government employee??? (compared to obama)

the state of maine is maine's largest employer,,,that's sad.. and over 90-95% vote liberal

folks on welfare,....over 90% vote liberal,

workplaces that are unionized,,,,unions are for the dems/liberals

the small business owners - over 90% republican/conservative- i deal with small business owners everyday, in fact i know over 200 across the state and most lean right (yeah, i know their are exceptions)

like sub said,,

i wasnt into politics when younger,,, politicians were like snakes,,,you couldnt trust any of them,,,but the older i got,,, and labels got thrown around,
im for freedom, life liberty and happiness-for the record, i think both parties are polluted with politicians that are getting greased and only looking at their golden parachute..term limits should have been stuck with yrs ago.
when its time to pay the piper (we are 20 trillion in debt and no one cares) you are going to wish you had a large garden- more self sufficient,,and had a gun to defend yourself..

i dont think anyone is pro-war...
if north korea took out L/A with a nuke, yes, then we are pro-rataliation

mainers are more political online, than i've ever witnessed in real life..
mainers usually keep their political views to themselves.. in fact, ive given more to democrats ten times more-than to republicans... not parties ..but individuals starting a new life/thats bottomed out

because i travel alot,,i seen alot of cars off the road,,,i often stop to help or offer assistance,,,do i look at a bumper sticker first...before i offer help/? of course not!!
I agree with quite a bit of what you say, but the rest is baloney worthy of Fox News. Particularly your "percentages." Just because a muncipality has a large number of school children, and its citizens are focused on good education, and the mil rate is jacked up, that's "bad" in your book and "liberal." Not all of us have the money to send the kids to private schools that "conservatives" can afford. Likewise, an industrial area with a broad taxable property base might have a fairly low mil rate overall. That doesn't mean jack dooley to how the citizenry might vote. Silly percentages, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM

534 posts, read 905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Big freakin deal. Does she control the brains of her constituency? Stop trying to Fox News us.
"Stop trying to faux news us" should be our currency.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,798 times
Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry this thread turned political. I mean, I'm conservative in general, yes, but it's not like I scream "Hippie!" every time I see someone with a "Save the Planet" bumper sticker, you know? Live and let live, is our philosophy. We're mostly concerned that the state government doesn't try to control every freakin' thing we do.

I was hoping to be a wee bit further south than Bangor, simply to cut down on drive time when we come back to MD to visit friends/family, but I'll consider it an option. Might be worth it if it suits us.

I can't wait to visit!!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,755 times
The politicians win when we as citizens get caught up in the whole liberal conservative mantra.. I say that because I believe many career politicians are just that not because of their ideas, ability, or success as a politician but mainly because we are too confused to see what is really going on..

I don't believe Mainer's are particularly one thing or another but our voting sometimes reflects that because that's the way they want it!

For the OP... come to Maine and visit Portland and Bangor and take rt 1 between them... if I had a blank canvass that's what I would do.. Both are the largest communities in the state and are reflective of the two maine"s northern and southern..

Personally what you wrote I believe you could find in either place and I think it will come down to personal taste good luck

Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 PM

536 posts, read 846,547 times
I agree with flycessna.

I am a liberal but certainly after yrs in FL don't expect everyone to shape up and vote as I do. I don't really care about anyone's vote but my own. I would be up in arms if there was some difficulty in counting my vote, which has happened in FL. So that is my deal breaker.

Anyhow, for someone new to the state, drive around.

I am unlikely, if I move to Maine (it is between there and 2 other NE states where I have family), to move to a large town or city such as Bangor or Portland.

Drive through the small towns. Stay in places there and get a feeling of the cordiality level.

The small towns are "Maine" to me, and I will end up, probably, in one of those. Brunswick is the largest of those I am considering in Maine, and that is b/c it has bus and train svc. to Boston, where a lot of family members live.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,938 times
These are all great ideas, but the bottom line is that unless you are independently monied or are retired on a pension or three, where you actually choose to live will be where you find gainful employment.

Maine's population is less that the population of Philadelphia but spread over an area way way bigger. And I would say the jobs aren't comparable since Maine's economy is depressed compared to Philadelphia.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,061,759 times
Bangor would, probably, be a good start.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,580 times
Poland, New Gloucester, Gray. Affordable. Rural. Very commutable. 30-40 minutes to Portland, coast, inland mountains.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
She certainly does.

People seeking to buy property in Maine nearly always ask about regulations and their opportunity to enjoy the property they buy. I just give them the example of two adjoining towns. One town has no zoning. Do what you want. My neighbors had a big fireworks display for his young son's birthday. That is legal here. Want to build a south facing earth bermed house? No codes here to prevent it. Critters are welcome.

Then there is the town with 38 different zones and a crew of paid enforcers to be sure you don't violate one of their codes. You may not be able to do what your neighbor does because you bought on the other side of an invisible zoning line.

Where would you rather own property? Some people coming from a condominium where the board tells them what to do would be uncomfortable needing to make their own choices because other people have made their choices for them for their whole life up to now. Freedom is exhilarating and jealously defended one attained.

I was elected to a planning board in March of 1974. I am still on a planning board. I was invited to come to a town planning board meeting where all of their members are brand new. I explained their duties and responsibilities. Some of them were going to attend a training session soon which was put on by the Maine Municipal Association. I cautioned them the MMA is a huge zoning club that wants to increase municipal size and authority. Increases in the size of government by definition always result in higher taxes and less freedom.

Somebody earlier in this thread recommended that buyers take a look at the local tax rate. Bureaucracy is expensive. Towns with lower tax rates have more freedom.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
She certainly does.

People seeking to buy property in Maine nearly always ask about regulations and their opportunity to enjoy the property they buy. I just give them the example of two adjoining towns. One town has no zoning. Do what you want. My neighbors had a big fireworks display for his young son's birthday. That is legal here. Want to build a south facing earth bermed house? No codes here to prevent it. Critters are welcome.

Then there is the town with 38 different zones and a crew of paid enforcers to be sure you don't violate one of their codes. You may not be able to do what your neighbor does because you bought on the other side of an invisible zoning line.

Where would you rather own property? Some people coming from a condominium where the board tells them what to do would be uncomfortable needing to make their own choices because other people have made their choices for them for their whole life up to now. Freedom is exhilarating and jealously defended one attained.

I was elected to a planning board in March of 1974. I am still on a planning board. I was invited to come to a town planning board meeting where all of their members are brand new. I explained their duties and responsibilities. Some of them were going to attend a training session soon which was put on by the Maine Municipal Association. I cautioned them the MMA is a huge zoning club that wants to increase municipal size and authority. Increases in the size of government by definition always result in higher taxes and less freedom. Somebody earlier in this thread recommended that buyers take a look at the local tax rate. Bureaucracy is expensive. Towns with lower tax rates have more freedom.
very well said

have you known someone to put on a simple addition to a deck, or a shed or a sun room , and had to take it down ?? because it wasnt "approved"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine