Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times

Advertisements

"Does the same logic apply to State & municipal jobs, as well."

Most state and local jobs go to sons, cousins or brothers of people already employed or related to local officials. That's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,975,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I'm thinking maybe you should be thinking about moving to the foothills of the Smokies in North Carolina, like maybe The Triad. It would have the stinking hot summers that you love, great salaries, and all the mountains and lakes that you like too. And going just a bit west of you takes you into the Blue Ridge Mountains which are spectacular, and very rural.
Nah, I'm not a fan of the south. I like a humid continental climate; not temperate. The more extreme highs and lows, the better.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 PM

234 posts, read 360,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Its not as disheartening as you think. There re limited jobs available to everyone in Maine. It protects the Maine population's needs by giving them only to people who live in Maine and not handing them out to people who don't live here.

I didn't understand when I lived in the Mid Atlantic States, but I understand perfectly now. Its like stealing from ourselves. I'm happy that I bring a pension from South and SS from the feds here to spend without stealing a job from a needy Mainer.
Unfortunately this keeps Maine's economy in the crapper. We have the 2nd lowest adjusted income in the country - only Hawaii is harder to "get ahead" in. We need to bring in top talent to draw in more businesses.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 PM

470 posts, read 1,842,799 times
Thank you, slyfox & Northern Maine Land Man, for your replies.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,998,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
On second thought, I'm not so sure that Portland would be the ideal place for me, long-term. I think Maine is absolutely beautiful, but it just doesn't get as warm and stay as warm as I would like. After looking at the weather charts and daily average highs, it seems like Portland averages around 79 at the highest. And most summer days are in the 70's. Coming from CT (which already has short summers IMO), that means I would lose about a month of 70+ temps.
Nep, it's NORTH! What did you expect?! Exactly the reason I crossed northern New England off my last years ago. I don't even like to vacation up there after August. Go south, young man!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM

470 posts, read 1,842,799 times
Thank you, slyfox & Northern Maine Land Man, for your replies.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-Bound View Post
Unfortunately this keeps Maine's economy in the crapper. We have the 2nd lowest adjusted income in the country - only Hawaii is harder to "get ahead" in. We need to bring in top talent to draw in more businesses.

Actually, if you look at who gets the plum jobs in the non-private sector, it is usually someone from away.
That is a real shame, and Mainers should be attacking that problem.
Maine for the Mainers! lol

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,975,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Nep, it's NORTH! What did you expect?! Exactly the reason I crossed northern New England off my last years ago. I don't even like to vacation up there after August. Go south, young man!
For some reason, I thought the climate in Maine would be only marginally cooler than that of CT, but I'm wrong. It's significantly cooler. In CT, average daily highs of 70+ start on May 15 and last through Sep 30, but in Portland, 70+ temps start on Jun 4 and end on Sep 17. That's more than an entire month less of warm weather! Even worse, the average only peaks at 79, but in CT it peaks at around 85. I can't live without a long stretch of 80+ temps and even some 90's. I love summer just as much as I enjoy winter. That's too bad.....I thought Maine was just as warm as CT

Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
For some reason, I thought the climate in Maine would be only marginally cooler than that of CT, but I'm wrong. It's significantly cooler. In CT, average daily highs of 70+ start on May 15 and last through Sep 30, but in Portland, 70+ temps start on Jun 4 and end on Sep 17. That's more than an entire month less of warm weather! Even worse, the average only peaks at 79, but in CT it peaks at around 85. I can't live without a long stretch of 80+ temps and even some 90's. I love summer just as much as I enjoy winter. That's too bad.....I thought Maine was just as warm as CT
Just so you know, summer is a bit warmer when you get inland from the coast.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,938 times
Quote:
Why would Maine be the same temperature as connecticut? New Haven is 240 miles south of Portland. Its 400 miles south of Ellsworth.

I love the fact that there are no stinking hot temps. I moved out of Mid Atlantic partly to get away from those temperatures and humidity. And the grass grows much more slowly. I only have to mow my grass about 4 times the entire summer from May through September, 5 or 6 times total. Where you live I would have to mow the grass every week starting in April. I have way better things to do that mow grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine