Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

114 posts, read 137,677 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's different in other cities or states, but here in L.A. if you go and warm your car up on a cold morning and it's stolen, your insurance will not pay to replace your car because you left the keys in it. In Maine I'm sure you have no choice over there. A friend had his car stolen when we had that cold snap because he was warming his car up. Told you it was a dumb question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 AM

642 posts, read 1,269,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
I don't know if it's different in other cities or states, but here in L.A. if you go and warm your car up on a cold morning and it's stolen, your insurance will not pay to replace your car because you left the keys in it. In Maine I'm sure you have no choice over there. A friend had his car stolen when we had that cold snap because he was warming his car up. Told you it was a dumb question.
You start your car remotely with your car starter. It locks automatically. When you're ready to drive you unlock and go.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM

114 posts, read 137,677 times
Default That's if you have a new car......

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
You start your car remotely with your car starter. It locks automatically. When you're ready to drive you unlock and go.
If you have an older car they don't have the auto lock on them. His was a classic car and stock so he didn't have the auto lock. Terrible loss for him. Anyways the news of here in Cali is that you guys had a pretty bad ice storm, so stay warm and stay safe.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 PM

642 posts, read 1,269,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
If you have an older car they don't have the auto lock on them. His was a classic car and stock so he didn't have the auto lock. Terrible loss for him. Anyways the news of here in Cali is that you guys had a pretty bad ice storm, so stay warm and stay safe.
Yes, here in Hancock County some 6,000 of us are still without power. PS when I take my old car I start it with my spare key, lock it with my regular key and let it run 'til I'm ready to drive

Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM

321 posts, read 492,488 times
As American girl said, you can use a spare key. But in most parts of Maine, certainly outside of the larger communities, you don't have to worry too much about someone stealing your car. I live in Bangor now, but I lived in Presque Isle previously, and I never worried about running my unlocked truck in the morning. Unless you're in downtown Portland or someplace like that, it really isn't that much of an issue.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,962,687 times
One of the most unlikely things that can happen is for your car to be stolen in rural Maine after you've left it running. That said, with my dumb luck I was the exception to the rule when my running car was stolen in Presque Isle one cold evening. (I got a call from the state police later that evening saying they caught the guy when he got it hung up in the puckerbrush while trying to evade John Q. Law).

Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,729,268 times
If you dont have a fancy car starter, just do what i do..... start your car and lock it, use your spare key to get back in. Very simple.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,588,761 times
It gets cold enouth in LA to have to warm up your car? We never do that unless it is below 15 degrees,

Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,835,963 times
They warm it up to run the defroster to take the dew off their windshields on the Inside! I just use a ShamWow.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 AM

37,747 posts, read 61,972,200 times
I see cars sitting running in every parking lot. It is very common here.

I have gone through a few vehicles since moving to Maine. Mostly I kept the key in them. My truck has it's key in it.

My Dw's fancy car has a fob. It will not run without the fob being in the car. With the fob you can lock/unlock the car remotely [I am not sure if we have ever tested that feature]. Just because your in the car, and it is ready to drive, does not equate to it's engine running. The engine starts and stops controlled by a bank of computers, according to when they think the engine should be running. Half the time, when I am driving it, the engine will shut down [to save fuel].

I think that most Mainers do not really consider the idea of their car being stolen.

Crime is not the big thing here, as it was in most other places where we have lived before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine