Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 PM

48,159 posts, read 22,020,175 times

Advertisements

Jenkaye, My better judgement and my son (who lives in Maine) tells me the same thing, in fact he recommends a heated garage lol --but my partner and I both really like the house sans garage. Maybe we could put up a garage, there appears to be room for one--but in the 100+ years the house has been there....no one has felt the need, maybe we won't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Don't get me wrong. I would love a garage. But it hasn't been a big enough pain to warrant building one. Maine reason I would want one is so I could get more "stuff" you know the old saying, more space means more stuff to fill it.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM

375 posts, read 610,760 times
Hopefully you've visited Maine physically, not just virtually and know what the various regions have to offer and have seen good examples of why some properties may appear inexpensive (location, accessibility, zoning, black fly index, etc.).

In much of Maine, antique houses minus a garage are common.
Falmouth certainly is nice (the Foreside area is one of Greater Portland's most upscale, with prices to match). If you've got your heart set on a particular house w/o a garage, putting up one is highly recommended if you can afford it - remote car starter or not.

It's no secret that particularly in the Greater Portland area, housing prices are not the bargain they once were; although coming from So Cal you may find them appealing. It doesn't surprise me that people still try to sell $300K houses in Maine w/o a garage; it amazes me that people still buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am doing a fairly intensive "search" for real estate in Maine while waiting to sell my house in southern California. I find lots of homes that appear to be really nice and where we might like to live. After looking all over the state, we have pretty much settled on the towns around Portland. I have been amazed at some of the property. I see houses within my range with lots of acres (57 in one case). Another in that area has extensive river frontage and a private island! The houses seem nice--what gives? I don't really need or want all that land, but I can't help but wonder.

A more pertinent question for me has to do with houses without a garage in Falmouth. I was surprised to notice that my favorite house didn't have a garage. Considering winter cold and snow fall, my first impression was that a garage would be essential. But when I continued my search in Falmouth, I found several more with off street parking but no garage. These are really nice houses that are selling for over $300,000. Could it be that the proximity to the coast so moderates the temp and snow fall, that a garage is less of a necessity than further north and inland? Any thoughts?

Old 11-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Danpv; I used to live in the Lakes Region of NH and my parents were in Biddeford, so I am familiar with going over there. I also have two sons who live in the Portland area and my fathers family goes back more than 5 generations in Deering/ and Saccarappa. But I have not visited some of the towns where I see the land like Dayton and Buxton. I won't be buying a "pig in a poke" and do plan to come up to shop around before I buy. My kids do drive-bys on some property that is near them to give me their reaction and to compare the roads to country roads I know from NH. (like Rt 114 is sorta like NH RT 107)

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,206,019 times
I Have A Small 2 Car Garage And It Hasent Seen A Car In Two Years.
When I Got Remerried We Stord My Wifes Stuff Its Still There.
But A Garage Is Nice , That I Can Remember.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
tho there are different zoning setbacks in different towns,,many developments thru the years,,,,would cookie-cutter the lots,,,maximizing the amount of houses that can be built,(in the land usable or available,,so sometimes, garages would be eliminated to increase the number of houses. (land displacement value)

a house i grew up in, was an old colonial, built in 1798,,, never had a garage til 200 years later

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,227,722 times
elston, I think you should limit your search to homes with garages!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
I Have A Small 2 Car Garage And It Hasent Seen A Car In Two Years.
When I Got Remerried We Stord My Wifes Stuff Its Still There.
But A Garage Is Nice , That I Can Remember.
Thanks Ranger, your post made me chuckle!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
elston, I think you should limit your search to homes with garages!
Thanks, that was concise and probably wise! I have pretty much come to that decision (and more importantly my partner is coming around to that way of thinking). Its too bad because we really like the house in Falmouth (from on line viewing) and the price has been significantly reduced while we've been following it. I wonder why? lol

Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 AM

55 posts, read 134,807 times
Default OMG winter is coming!

Oh that just remind me that I have to make room in my triple garages for my car !!! It's full of STUFFFFF!!!! yappp the bigger you have the more you accumulate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine