Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM

346 posts, read 786,976 times

Advertisements

Well everyone I made the trip up to Aroostook County looking for some property and the snow is cutting the trip short.

After taking time off from work and planning the trip who knew they'd have 10 inches of snow up here 2 days before I headed up, and another 10 my first day here.

I tried to check out my first piece or property today. I had about a 1/4 mile or less walk to get to the property, but 20 minutes later and 100 or more yards in waist deep snow I had to retreat after falling and having some difficulty picking my sorry self up.

I guess it'll be spring time before I get back up to this location for a second try

I'll try to check out some other properties a little further south in Maine and see how deep the snow is at those locations.

On a better note, the wife loves Northern Maine, and hasn't seen this much snow in many many years ( neither have I ).

The trip south starts tomorrow and I'll see how the rest of the trip goes. Maine is a great place, and hopefully I'll have my own place here soon.

Unfortunately when it's all said and done I still have to go back to 'The Garden State'

That's it for now~!

C~S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,393,584 times
I'm sorry things were a bit rough for you but, I'm glad your wife likes it in Maine. If nothing else you got some time with your wife for Valentine's Day and a good idea of what Maine CAN be like at times in the winter. Best Regards to you both, msina

Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times
Where in "The County" are you right now?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Aroostook, ( Houlton )

Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Aroostook, ( Houlton )
Oh I know where the County is. I am up in Washburn (between Presque Isle and Caribou). Just wondering if I was gong to be getting new neighbors anytime soon.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,470,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Oh I know where the County is. I am up in Washburn (between Presque Isle and Caribou). Just wondering if I was gong to be getting new neighbors anytime soon.

LOLOLOL... get out yer' Gazzy!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,686,417 times
I'm surprised no one warned you about going up to The County in the winter. Unless you're going snowmobiling or ice fishing there just ain't no reason to go up there!
The snow is always up to a tall man's rear end up there! Didn't bring your snowshoes either did you? Now you know! The lay of the land always looks much different when the seven feet of snow are melted off it too! You'll have a small window of oppurtunity to look at land between the end of mud season and the beginning of blackfly season...unless they overlap! Then you'll have to wait until mid summer!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'm surprised no one warned you about going up to The County in the winter. Unless you're going snowmobiling or ice fishing there just ain't no reason to go up there!
The snow is always up to a tall man's rear end up there! Didn't bring your snowshoes either did you? Now you know! The lay of the land always looks much different when the seven feet of snow are melted off it too! You'll have a small window of oppurtunity to look at land between the end of mud season and the beginning of blackfly season...unless they overlap! Then you'll have to wait until mid summer!

No warning, or snowshoes, live and learn I guess.
I can't remember ever trying to walk thru that much snow, ... ever.

Thanks for the heads up about mud season & the flies.

It was still great to experience though

C~S

Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM

139 posts, read 363,005 times
Common, it's really not that bad. Git yourself some snowshoes and hike it out! Make sure you bring your nitro pills just in case! LOL!!! No, seriously if you happen to be around on a nice sunny day, snowshoeing 1/4 of a mile is nothing. Northern Maine is where it's at if you appreciate simplicity and a slower pace of life. Don't get discouraged and come back mid June and you will know why we live here. By the way, we don't normally have winters like this either. This year is way different than usual.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
By the way, we don't normally have winters like this either. This year is way different than usual.

Right now, our section of the County is 54" above normal snowfall for this time of year. Last year at this time we were way below normal and had only gotten 33" of snow for the season, we are 100" above that mark this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine