Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,883,805 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the little town I grew up in had a soda fountain. This was back in the late 60's early 70's and it was still working and you could still walk in and order a cherry Coke or a "Brown Cow" and ol' Mr Pinkerton would whip it up for you. It was nice because as a kid I never had any money in my pockets, but could stop and get something from any store in town and the owners would just let my parents know how much I racked up. We lived 5 or 6 miles out of town so I would have to ride my bike in to get anything and what I didn't know is that I had a preset spending limits in my usual haunts because my folks told them how much I could get. I miss the old soda fountains, they were awesome. It would be wonderful if somebody picked this up and turned it back into a store like it was in it's heyday. Those places would draw a lot of the locals and every flipping tourist for miles to see the "Quaint little Maine store that hasn't changed in 75 years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,881,967 times
Well, DH loved the concept but thinks it's too much of a project for someone who is handyman-impaired. And he doesn't think that Eastport can support something as "frivolous" as a soda fountain type of business, witnessed by the condition of the place currently.

Oh well. It was fun to think about.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,390 times
The building that the Shag Gallery is in is for sale. The building has been renovated, and has a tenant on the ground floor. The upstairs apartment is spectacular, with a view of the bay. The basement could also be used as a rental for business or another apartment. The building has been renovated and was in spectacular shape. I don't know if it has been sold or not, but at 199K it was a steal. I loved it, and if it is for sale, it would make a great investment. You could open a business or continue to rent the ground floor out, and live upstairs.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Bydand, that's exactly what I said when dramamama posted her pics of the inside of there this past Sept! How awful to do that!! My ex assured me that everything in the fountain area was workable or working last time he was in there (plumber/heater guy), so I'd LOVE for someone to buy it and restore it. It would be wonderful to have an old soda fountain working again, and do some pastries and coffee too for the foggy mornings
molly, maybe we should all pitch in and buy this,,and have you run it..

i think i saw the asking price ..of 250k
say we got it for 200k,,
usually the banks want 25-30% down,,plus about ten-k for cash...

if 15 of us got together with 5-k each share of stock.(thats 75k)

it could be the city data cafe' with wi-fi hook ups,,
not sure if i like the city data cafe title,,,but im sure a snappy title could be created,,with all these fertile minds.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Looks like I need to focus further south, closer to Bangor. Which is surprising considering that DH had a life-long fantasy of living out in the middle of nowhere, in a cabin. Guess he's gotten spoiled having every possible amenity so close by. Oh well, it was a nice fantasy.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:59 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,113,744 times
in the winter business would be difficult, but not from April to November or so....Maybe even until after Christmas. No where else in town could you go to buy an ice cream cone
The "dairy joy" is off the island 10 miles in Perry. You can get premade wrapped ice creams from the freezer cases, but that's it.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
in the winter business would be difficult, but not from April to November or so....Maybe even until after Christmas. No where else in town could you go to buy an ice cream cone
The "dairy joy" is off the island 10 miles in Perry. You can get premade wrapped ice creams from the freezer cases, but that's it.

That is DH's biggest concern, a long cold hungry winter. We'd have to turn the business into something besides/in addition to a soda fountain. And at $250K, plus all the costs of repairs, necessary upgrades and renovations, we'd have a lot into it before we could even open. Risky.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I think I've been in there. I remember thinking how the display case on the counter was a travesty, to both the beautiful old display case and the beautiful old counter top. I was wondering if the counter was damaged under the case and that is why is was placed there? Anybody know? Haven't thought of that in a while, but now it is going to bug me again.
The artist dude that is renting did that, I believe. He is a very different sort.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Looks like I need to focus further south, closer to Bangor. Which is surprising considering that DH had a life-long fantasy of living out in the middle of nowhere, in a cabin. Guess he's gotten spoiled having every possible amenity so close by. Oh well, it was a nice fantasy.
back, if i were looking at a location around bangor, for a cafe' one area i really like is,,the road between bangor and ellsworth i believe its rte 1a??
ellsworth is the gateway to all downeast, bar harbor, and even deer-isle
even in the off-season, ive got to believe there is over 15000 cars a day and in the summer , it may double, most folks going to acadia/bar harbor, travel thru this route,
this route is travelled, not only by commuters, vacationers, and everyday travellers, but many business folks travel thru, and they would stop, for a delicious meal, awesome coffee, and if you had wi-fi..access, and fax machines, you'd pick up even more business.
just my two cents

Old 11-18-2007, 01:23 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,668,172 times
Looks cute, but at $250,000 you might need a money making business like something professional, lawyer, doctor, etc.

I just cant see being able to make your mortgage payment each month with a general store, soda pop, etc. It would be very hard.

Monthly payment $1498 (6% at 30 years)
Electricity
Heat
Insurance
Merchandise
Profit
Renovations (loan)

PS. Nice dream though.... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine