Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:13 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Hi, I too live in Southern CA and know that Hemet, where the original poster said she lived, gets well over 100 degrees several times during the summer months.

So my question ...What does 80 degrees with 95% humidity "feel like" ...can you comepare it too regular degrees? For example would that feel like 100 degrees?

Because at over 100 degrees in Hemet or most of inland CA or even "dry" AZ etc., those people stay inside airconditioned places too and don't go for outside activities until early evening.

And when does it start to "cool down" in the day there? When do you go outside for sports or let the kids play at the park etc? When do these humid summer months begin and end?

Sorry, so many questions. We are actually considering NC, VA and Maine, but I am trying to get a better understanding on humidity and how it works, what to expect, since we've only experienced a mild form of it and only a few weeks at a time here where I live now. I was also surprised at some of the differences you all posted from state to state, just how different is it?

Thanks so much for your time.
Regards, Kali
In the Portland area...southwest coastal.. 80 and 95% humidity is downright oppressive. Going outside is like getting hit in the face with a blast furnace.

Sleeping at night is tricky...you stick to the sheets, and you sometimes actually feel like you are sweating when showering. Sometimes it last for a few days and sometimes the middle of July until the midle of August is sticky.

There is nothing in California to compare. If it is 95 in So California, you simply go into the shade. That doesn't work so well in high heat and humidity in Maine. About the only way to beat it is air conditioning.

Evenings always cool down, but the humidity can remain high. It doesn't have a great deal of impact on kids playing...they get used to it. You will find the way kids spend their free time in Maine is much different from in California. It is much less regulated..except in the bigger cities, and kids play time is much more casual and informal than here in Cali....much more fun too. Playing in the woods and fields with their buddies, bkiking, fishing the streams and ponds, and even boating on the lakes and rivers. That has changed some since I was a kid, but Maine kids are much more adventurous and freer to do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Here is a good site that gives current conditions including humidity.
Regional Map : Weather Underground

Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Sleeping at night is tricky...you stick to the sheets, and you sometimes actually feel like you are sweating when showering. Sometimes it last for a few days and sometimes the middle of July until the midle of August is sticky.

There is nothing in California to compare.
Showering....you get out of the shower, dry off, and you are still wet!

Hmmm....California does have some fairly humid spots. Mostly up north out in the mountains. Visit the Tahoe or Truckee region around August and you will feel some humidity

Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Showering....you get out of the shower, dry off, and you are still wet!

Hmmm....California does have some fairly humid spots. Mostly up north out in the mountains. Visit the Tahoe or Truckee region around August and you will feel some humidity
Here in So Cal, I always chuckle when the locals complain about the humdity. They really need to experience the east coast in the summer if they want to understand humidity. For all intents and purposes it is not the least bit humid here in So Cal. It is a desert with a fine sprinkling system. No nasty little flying insects that sting and bite either.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
I'll keep the insects over the crime, pollution, and population any day!

I think the key about the humidity is that different people are sensitive to different levels, and you have to go where you're comfortable

Old 11-14-2007, 07:25 AM

34 posts, read 86,313 times
Well said Molly ! I was born in Palm Springs, raised there and in Yucca Valley & Twentynine Palms...all desert. Moved to Virginia Beach Va. and the humidity nearly killed me my first summer, but you adjust. Have since lived in Europe where you also experience humidity in summer, still have some and its Nov. in Italy,on the water.Spent a month in Atlanta this summer where temps were 105 with 100% humidity that was the worst I ever experienced. Its like you said its all about the individuals tolerence level. I am hoping that Eastport in summer will be delightful.
On a totally diff subject; Molly do you remember what the attic space was like in your old place in EP ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine