Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:44 AM

612 posts, read 1,217,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
We're gonna have a big ya-ya's get together on the back deck of the WACO next summer, don't know when yet but mark your calendar.
We will be there...as soon as school is out...2nd week of June. Even if my husband decides not to retire this year, we will be there for the summers until he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 10:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecruiser View Post
Hi!

From southern California, the snow and winter is going to be more of a shock/adjustment for you than the humid summers would be.

The good news regarding humidity is that it doesn't last long - it's not a year round thing; and the nights are cool.
Nope. I am a Native Californian and this is a completely false statement. The cold is easy to adapt to-there are multiple ways to bundle up, warm up, heat up but there is only one way to escape humidity-air conditioning. I have friends from Cali who refuse to visit in the summer simple because of the humidity. One thing about humidity in Maine, though, it is nowhere near as bad as the Midwest or the South.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 AM

612 posts, read 1,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I just need to know what qualifies as "summer" in Maine! Here, it's everything from April to October!!

YaYa!
We work for the school system and the last day for teachers is June 5th 2008 and teachers start back a week before students. The school calendar for 2008-2009 has not been approved yet but I would anticipate teachers return the 3rd week of August.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:09 AM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Nope. I am a Native Californian and this is a completely false statement. The cold is easy to adapt to-there are multiple ways to bundle up, warm up, heat up but there is only one way to escape humidity-air conditioning. I have friends from Cali who refuse to visit in the summer simple because of the humidity. One thing about humidity in Maine, though, it is nowhere near as bad as the Midwest or the South.
Well said

Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM

171 posts, read 880,393 times
Default Humidity question....

Hi, I too live in Southern CA and know that Hemet, where the original poster said she lived, gets well over 100 degrees several times during the summer months.

So my question ...What does 80 degrees with 95% humidity "feel like" ...can you comepare it too regular degrees? For example would that feel like 100 degrees?

Because at over 100 degrees in Hemet or most of inland CA or even "dry" AZ etc., those people stay inside airconditioned places too and don't go for outside activities until early evening.

And when does it start to "cool down" in the day there? When do you go outside for sports or let the kids play at the park etc? When do these humid summer months begin and end?

Sorry, so many questions. We are actually considering NC, VA and Maine, but I am trying to get a better understanding on humidity and how it works, what to expect, since we've only experienced a mild form of it and only a few weeks at a time here where I live now. I was also surprised at some of the differences you all posted from state to state, just how different is it?

Thanks so much for your time.
Regards, Kali

Last edited by Kaligirl; 11-10-2007 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-10-2007, 01:15 PM

161 posts, read 419,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Alison's right....the humidity here can be icky. I can't tell you how bad it is in comparison to other places, because I've only ever lived in Maine. When it gets too sticky here in Calais we head to the lake or the beach, or to Eastport. I'm not one for temps above 80, and I don't like humidity at all, but it doesn't feel oppressive to me as much as uncomfortable.
Hardly ever humid or even hot in Lubec. If it does get hot or humid you just head down to West Quoddy Head and the temperature and humidity just drop like a rock. I've had a near 20 degree drop from our home to West Quoddy and that's only a three mile distance by car and less as the crow flies.

Calais now that gets hot!

As for malls, forget about it! The Walmart in Calais will have to do.

Alan

Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Kali, for me the humidity is different I think. I can't compare it to a degree--it just feels heavy to me more so than hot. Does that make any sense? I've never kept the kids in or stayed in because it's too hot to be outside. We all are blond, blue-eyed, fair skinned though, so I have pulled them in around noon on bright summer days for an hour or so because we burn easily--although 3 of them tan, and 1 just freckles like me! In reading back over your post I don't think we hit 95% humidity here very often. I'll look it up and see though. When it is humid, it only lasts a few days at the most, and we may get it 3 or 4 times over the whole summer....summer to me is school vacation time because I used to teach, so that would be mid-June to late August

Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,578 times
Humidity. Since I have lived in Florida for years, I can tell you first hand. 80 degrees and 85% humidity is MISERABLE. You are standing, you are sweating, and you are wondering why you are outside. Yes Maine can get warm, and of course humid, but it is nothing compared to the south. In NC and VA you will be miserable during the summer months unless you are in the mountains of the west of those states. Summer is from late May until late September and sometimes even later. Yes, it can get 80+ in Maine, but not for long, and the evenings are great. As a native of the south, avoid it the south if you don't want humidity. Hence my move to Maine.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Hi, I too live in Southern CA and know that Hemet, where the original poster said she lived, gets well over 100 degrees several times during the summer months.

So my question ...What does 80 degrees with 95% humidity "feel like" ...can you comepare it too regular degrees? For example would that feel like 100 degrees?

Because at over 100 degrees in Hemet or most of inland CA or even "dry" AZ etc., those people stay inside airconditioned places too and don't go for outside activities until early evening.
In Sacramento, it would often get over 110 F in the summer. All you simply had to do was find some shade, and literally, it would be 20 degrees cooler. On top of that, regardless of the high daytime temp, it would cool down to 60 to 70 F (sometimes cooler) overnight.

Humidity-it's humid during the day, it's humid over night. Now, one thing that you need to understand is that the level of humidity is only part of the equation. 100% humidity = rain. Humidity has to do with the amount of moisture in the air. Really high humid levels can be found all over the country, and is evident in the form of fog, dew, rain, etc. What you really need to be concerned about is the dew point.

85 F + 90% humidity + a dew point of 30 F would not be that bad at all as compared to 70 F + 65% humidity + a dew point of 60 F.

So, basically the higher the dew point, the more you will feel it.

And, by the way, it feels like you are constantly in a sauna, whether you are indoors, in the shade, trying to sleep, in a car, doesn't matter. Like I said, the only way to escape it is be air condition.

Then again, there are people who actually like really humid weather.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM

264 posts, read 398,836 times
I lived in Maine for five decades and I now live about 80 miles west of you in Laguna Hills.

It does get humid at various times during the summer, but it is survivable. Your biggest shock will be from about the second week of November until the middle of May. You will dream every night about Palm Springs.

BTW...the wife and I are presently packing our bags for a four day trip to TwentyNine Palms. We love to hike around Joshua Tree this time of year. If you are in the area, we'll be eating at Enchada's tomorrow night...at the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine