Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM

449 posts, read 1,707,571 times

Advertisements

In general I've heard there can be problems if you obtain a rental sight unseen, I've never done it myself. We're arriving soon though and I'm getting anxious about finding housing so I'm expanding my search area. I wouldn't consider it in a larger city but what about smaller places that are considered nice..Camden, Scarborough, Belfast, Topsham, Gorham. I've seen rentals we can afford that have pics, some winter rentals in great school districts.
They all seem safe, well-kept neighborhoods so I'm considering it...opinions?

We have great references..if we find a good deal and decide to do it, any tips on persuading a landlord to consider us good candidates. I have visions of us still in a hotel for the holidays...like I said its pre-moving jitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,787,507 times
I know there are off season rentals available in Pine Point, Scarborough.

I will dm you a site we have had great luck with!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 AM

23,059 posts, read 28,633,437 times
I'd be very leery about renting sight-unseen. When we were hunting, we saw some places that looked great in the ad, but then when we got there discovered that cameras can lie. Not to put too fine a point on it: We looked at some real dumps.

If renting sight-unseen is your only option, then I would surely recommend you don't sign a long-term lease. That way, if you end up in a pit, at least you won't be there for long.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,514,218 times
I understand your dilemna. We have considered getting a week rental while we look at all the available houses in the area we are moving to. Our other option will be having a friend visit a few places for us to help us make a decision. I just can't come to terms with "wasting" $2000 or so of our money to make a trip up for a few days, just to turn around and come back and load a truck and spend another several thousand moving. It just seems senseless to me, when we can spend $200 on a week in an efficiency inn and do our looking then. It would be different if we weren't moving from all the way across the country.

I agree that photos can be very misleading, and some people don't accurately disclose any issues the house may have. You always hope for honesty, but you just never know until you're standing in the living room and actually SEE the water spots on the ceiling. I would imagine that referrals would go a long way to choosing a good landlord, but then again, if you don't know anyone there, who would you get them from?

I must add that you should spend time on this forum getting to know people. You will find many kind and honest souls who will point you in the right direction, but if you focus on an area where no-one here lives, you're still a little lost in the dark!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Mark,
I know what you mean and I agree with you, it really is better if you see
a rental in person. I am still searching for weekly stay hotel so we can do that.

El,
The place you suggested in Belfast looks great. It's a bit further north than
we'd like but it's a very nice place that we havedn't ruled out by any means.
We have the same situation, its just too far/expensive to make a trip ahead
of time. Finding out good referral info certainly does help, some places just have a good reputation.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,472,511 times
When we were moving back I had to find a rental from another state. If you can, have a friend take a digital camara and send you some pics. Also make a list of things you want them to check, such as closet space, bathroom size, (this was important to me), kitchen appliances (you'll want to know the condition and approx. age). and stairways (are they narrow? can you get your bed up there?). We found a great house.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM

msina,
That's a good idea, especially checking the doorways. The rental we have now is fairly new and a Queen bed has to be hauled over the upstairs balcony. I'm surprised they have that low wall over the stairs since this isn't an old place. I'm picky about the kitchen, I like an eat-in kitchen though I don't always get one. Someday I'd like to design a cottage for us with all the little things I've liked over the years. I'd have a friend check if it were possible, no one nearby though.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,196,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
When we were moving back I had to find a rental from another state. If you can, have a friend take a digital camara and send you some pics. Also make a list of things you want them to check, such as closet space, bathroom size, (this was important to me), kitchen appliances (you'll want to know the condition and approx. age). and stairways (are they narrow? can you get your bed up there?). We found a great house.
El did you write that down? msina I never would have thought to check stairways to see if the bed would fit! It's valuable information with so many old houses here in Maine

Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM

192 posts, read 397,083 times
The bed saga brings up a funny story. When my wife and I first moved out we rented a old house and never thought about the old narrow low stair case. Our new pillow top queen wouldn't fit ...we got the top up but had to take the box spring apart...funny day..thank's for helping us remember

Old 11-09-2007, 03:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,472,511 times
When all else fails,... you can usually take the window out and get it in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine