Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,909 times

Advertisements

I'm starting college in Fort Kent in the fall - does anybody know of any apartments or anything else for rent? And what they would cost? I'm 22, and willing to share if there are other students who are interested in keeping costs down ...

I also need to work to pay my way in college, does anybody know what the job situation in Fort Kent is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieboy View Post
I'm starting college in Fort Kent in the fall - does anybody know of any apartments or anything else for rent? And what they would cost? I'm 22, and willing to share if there are other students who are interested in keeping costs down ...

I also need to work to pay my way in college, does anybody know what the job situation in Fort Kent is like?
Have you BEEN to Ft. Kent? If you haven't, you had better make a trip there quick while you can still change your mind.

I think that far northern Maine is a wonderful place, but many years ago, I went to a small college in southern Ohio instead of to a major university in Boston. It was a TERRIBLE choice, and one that I regretted for both of the years that I was there. The mistake was made because I never went to see the school before rolling onto the campus to start the school year.

Go see the school, and look around, and all of your questions will be answered. April vacation is coming. Use it to check out your choice of schools.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times
Listen to Acadianlion on this one. If you haven't been to Fort Kent, visit now. It's a wonderful town, but many newcomers find it far different from where they came from.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM

41 posts, read 170,804 times
Fort Kent is a beautiful place but there isn't much going on there, you may want to visit like the other posters have said because it is in the woods and not very happening if you know what I mean. You may love it and it may be a perfect match for you, but I went snowsledding (snowmobiling) one year with a group of friends and that is one of the only things to do there besides other outdoor type stuff. Just check it out before you decide to make such a big choice. It is lovely country but it isn't going to be the traditional college town experience.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,367 times
I was accepted to University of Maine at Fort Kent. I was going to go in the fall but I then later decided University of Southern Maine. As much as I love snowmobiling and being outdoors, I can do that here. Also I could not keep my snowmobil on campus. That made me decide against it.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,686 times
Charlieboy's post kind of relates to a situation/decision I once had and brings back memories. I was stationed in CG on a weather cutter in Portland in the '60s. Then came time for a transfer to shore duty and I was given a choice of the Boston area or Lubec, Maine. Being a small town Wis boy I chose Lubec. And I remember hearing "have you ever been to Lubec". Answer was "no". Anyway when I got there my first thought was "what have I gotten myself into".The bus dropped me off in Whiting, about 20 miles from Lubec. This place was totally behind time compared to Portland. People up there were from another planet, I thought. Some houses still had dirt floors. Only TV reception you could get was from Canada. But to make a very long story shorter, it wasn't long before I loved it up there. I had made the right decision. The people up there turned out to be very friendly and made a stranger feel like he belonged. And I also soon realized why they called it God's Country. The coastal area terrain was beautiful. I know if I would have checked out the area before I decided to transfer there I probably would have decided against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine