Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,632 times

Advertisements

HHMMMMM, Maineguy, I think you just described obamacare.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
No, but maybe the dependence on welfare would go down - somewhat anyway.
Until the cost-of-living has risen again.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Until the cost-of-living has risen again.
Yup. We reap what we sow.

Another one bites the dust. Let's hope that A. he can fill the retail shops he's turning it into and B. That those retail shops can "compete" with big box stores even if LePage makes it "business friendly" to do so.

Orono hardware store open since 1892 to close by end of August — Bangor — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

"White said many factors went into his decision to close the store which first opened in 1892. There are six employees at the store including White, he said.

“I can see where the transition is happening,” White, 51, said on Monday. “I kind of sat down and analyzed things for years to see what the trends were.”

White said he had been monitoring customer counts, buying trends, sales averages and other statistics for the past several years.

“All of those factors played into [my decision],” he said. “It’s not a single factor, but it’s an established [downward] trend.”"

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Or those who are at the bottom could get a education and move up the ladder! As a person who owned a company all be it just 24 employes when I sold it let me tell you I worked 15 to 20 hours a day every day. The higher up you go the more responsibility you have thus the more money you make. Do not wanna be the peon at the bottom then don't be. Maybe one day YOU can start a business YOU can grow it and make it a success if and when you do let me know if you still wanna pay you're employes the same wage you pay yourself..
I am a champion of education. Believe me, if I could pay for school for every person around me I would.

That said, not everyone can afford to go back to school, nor can all those "welfare queens" you like to criticize pay for school and child care while going to school. Guess what? Some of them work two jobs and a member of their family looks after their kids. Not everyone is cut out to start a business either. Just because you did doesn't mean everyone else can. Congratulations. Well done.

And exactly when did I ever say that employers should pay the same wage that they pay themselves? Kindly don't put words in my mouth to further your justifications.

I know plenty of small business owners whose employees would literally do anything they ask because they are not only good to them in other ways, they pay them better than the joke that is minimum wage in this economy. It doesn't mean they pay them the same amount they make.

Yeesh.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 AM

625 posts, read 792,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I am a champion of education. Believe me, if I could pay for school for every person around me I would.

That said, not everyone can afford to go back to school, nor can all those "welfare queens" you like to criticize pay for school and child care while going to school. Guess what? Some of them work two jobs and a member of their family looks after their kids. Not everyone is cut out to start a business either. Just because you did doesn't mean everyone else can. Congratulations. Well done.

And exactly when did I ever say that employers should pay the same wage that they pay themselves? Kindly don't put words in my mouth to further your justifications.

I know plenty of small business owners whose employees would literally do anything they ask because they are not only good to them in other ways, they pay them better than the joke that is minimum wage in this economy. It doesn't mean they pay them the same amount they make.

Yeesh.
BLa bla bla.... My dad was carer Navy my mother worked only after they got a divorce. Not the poster for the well to do family. However my mother was very adamant about if you wanted to succeed in life it was up to YOU to make it happen. I worked three jobs for 4 years and lived in a very small one bedroom apt and lived on a diet of allot of raman noodles for that time to buy my first truck. I did not seek a wife until I was financially stable! I have never taken a dime of welfare though I was encouraged to do so by even the banks when I was starting out. As far as my business I considered my employes part of the family still do though they no longer work for me.

My point is people shoudl be accountable for their lives not those of us who are! Ie why do we have to pay high taxes to support people who where to stupid to obtain gainful employment before starting a family? If you can not afford a car do nto buy it like all other things in life.

You are correct you did not say pay all the same I was exaggerating you're point. Ie those working the grill at McDonald's likely would have ZERO idea how to run the place. Business exist to make money ( the evil PROFIT ) not to care for employees. Remember the employes do not HAVE to work there nobody is forcing them to do so. So when doing the books you take money in and compare that money out and you want what is left to be as much as possible while remaining in business. Then we have people who run a home you have to have a little more money coming in then going out. Then of course we have the massive welfare population many of them in fact "welfare queens" who have kids to avoid work who little to no money coming in but the gooberment takes form us reducing the money we have to give it to these people who contribute nothing to society in fact they leach off it harming the rest of us.

Last no being able to afford education is BS! You do not have to go to college to learn. Many jobs will train you I know several people up here who need journeymen for things from electric work to construction. However you have to be willing to WORK! Thus the problem most people think they are entitled to be given something.

Last you are correct not everyone can start a business. You have to work hard and want it even then nothing is a guarantee. However this does not mean you have to flip burgers at Mcdonalds. If you earn min wage and are older then 20 you are likely getting paid what or more then you are worth to the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine