Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,232,907 times

Advertisements

My Sis is close to buying a second home there, I would appreciate any feedback about the culture, or what's it's like to live there. I've done some research and know that's there's only 1300 people that live there..
Any feedback would be appreciated (and yes i know about the Busch connection)..thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM

85 posts, read 180,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
My Sis is close to buying a second home there, I would appreciate any feedback about the culture, or what's it's like to live there. I've done some research and know that's there's only 1300 people that live there..
Any feedback would be appreciated (and yes i know about the Busch connection)..thanks in advance..
I've lived in Arundel -- which (foolishly) severed itself from Kennebunkport many eons ago -- for about a decade, so I feel safe on commenting.

Kennebunkport is physically adorable -- it's adjacent to nice (but small) beaches, it has a good little harbor, dramatic tides, pretty sunrises, etc. It feeds into the Kennebunk school system, which is a fairly good set of schools (though their sports team and marching band are -- with the exception of lacrosse and soccer -- absolutely horrid).

The town is very much a seasonal place. There are large crowds of tourists during the summer months, and again during Christmas Prelude. During the winter a significant chunk of the town shuts down, though many of the restaurants and other eateries stay open. Traffic can be a big concern during the summertime, with narrow Rte. 9 and the bridge getting clogged. There's a lot of old money that flows through Kennebunkport during these windows, but it's a feast-or-famine existence for a number of the business owners. Many, many start-ups closed while I was living there. If you're interested in opening a boutique or whatnot, be prepared to fight for your life pretty much indefinitely.

As far as culture is concerned, it's a small town. There are parades and such (which the Bushes used to turn out for until George, sadly, got sick [he and Barbara are both real class acts, and I distinctly remember them driving by my house while I was out in the yard and spontaneously waving]). There's also the Arundel Playhouse about 5 miles away on Old Post Rd. Frankly, though, even Portland doesn't offer 'big city culture' -- if you want that, you'll either have to drive, or hop a Downeaster in Wells and head for Boston.

Now, having said all this, I think when you talk about Kennebunkport, it's important to discuss Kennebunk, because the two are on top of each other. At first glance, Kennebunk is a rather respectable town. However, in my opinion, it's a place run by a soulless collection of thieves, wholly willing to sell their own dignity and quaint environs down the river to make a cheap buck. The perfect example of these shady practices is the ongoing strip 'creep' on Rt. 1 north of Kennebunk. Year after year, more and more businesses -- most of which are unnecessary (due to the small local population) and which do poorly -- open in this area.

Four or five years ago, the town tore down a 200 year old house to put up a Stop and Shop, forcing the cute downtown grocer that had been there forever out of business. Five months later, Stop and Shop had shut down (although a Hannaford occupies the site now, the building remained shuttered for over a year). Across the street, they've opened a Norway Savings Bank, in the process culling well over an acre of woods. Kennebunk was already virtually drowning in banks -- two Kennebunk Savings Banks, a Key Bank and the Bank of Maine). Why this latest addition was a necessity I do not know.

Basically, Kennebunkport is charming and seems to be well aware of its cherished status as a place that time forgot. Kennebunk, on the other hand, is the bumbling older brother, jealous of his sibling's famous name and success, trying to capitalize on shady deals in order to steal back a little of the limelight.

Last edited by ShastatoBaker; 12-27-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the reply @ShastatoBaker , this would be a second home is all, and a place to enjoy the beaches and Maine in general. A place to relax.
The info about the Kennebunk is what i was looking for, as someone who lives in the NE, had no idea about those inner workings.
Once again, thanks for the info and insight..

Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,325,784 times
I lived on ocean ave, in kennebunkport for a couple years, my sister graduated from kennebunk high school

most coastal towms are a tale of two cities,,,you have your working fisherman and other working class, then you have money along the water's edge, many places not occupied year round,,
the 'port is a awesome little town with a rich history,,,, definitely a tourist area in the summertime- expect it thru dock square..
one of my all time favorite spots is,,,,at the mouth of the kennebunk river are two breakwaters,,one on the kennebunk side,,one on the k'port side,,,the one on the k'port side(across from the Colony Hotel) you can walk right out on,,,,its beautiful, I remember in 1986, hurricane gloria was moving thru,,my sister and I walk out on the breakwater to the end,,and drank a bottle of wine,,,taking in the majestic beauty of the rough ocean and crashing waves

I remember seeing the elder bush at St. Ann's church on ocean ave when he was first elected president

I have very fond memories of k'port....
but also kennebunk,,,,,
kennebunk beaches go on for miles....

I think you will like either town- it's fairly close to n.h. not far from portland.......

Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM

I appreciate the replies and the advice..I toured the area a couple of weeks ago to give the house a look over for her. It's completely renovated and brand new inside and out.

About 1.5 miles from the beaches and i found the home sound and the workmanship done recently up too par..

It's within the "triangle" i guess..sounds like broker talk to me, but very pet friendly and close to the main roads. Not a huge lot but she doesn't need anything 2 big..

She's closing soon and it will be cool to have another place to go like Maine..I like it..

Thank you for the replies, and I'm sure through the upcoming years I'll get my feel for the area..We have a place on Winni in NH, that my father built 40 years ago, but this is cool as i love the ocean too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine