Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times

Advertisements

it's a nice thought moughie, but I don't have it in me.....I'm not nearly sensible enough, I don't balance my budget well--I go over!, I'm not very reasonable sometimes, and I

wait......

lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
If they try to run me out, I'll just go hide in Forest's woods! Or maybe in his big, fluffy beard!! Looks nice and cozy in there. You won't rat me out, will you Forest?
No need to hide.

You would be a welcome guest.

Fishing, kayaking, playing with our goats, our pig is very friendly, everyone here is welcoming and friendly.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,882,325 times
I don't know, I think Molly for Governor would be a great idea! I'll even start a write-in campaign from out here in WI!

9 more months and the house will be on the market. The day it sells is the day we finally head home. We are both so homesick we can't stand it.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,526,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciardasuly View Post
I love Maine but just be prepared too pay high taxes and fees.
I would disagree from what I've heard on these boards, I pay higher taxes here in Ohio.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I would disagree from what I've heard on these boards, I pay higher taxes here in Ohio.
LOL

What I have seen among locals is that they will get to talking to each other, complaining about their taxes, and they convince each other that their taxes are too high.

Then a study comes out, like that one about 'tax burden', and it has been misquoted many times on the media here. So much so that EVERYONE knows as a fact that Maine has the highest taxes of the entire planet.

It has become as if it were a theme, that everyone agrees on.

Having moved here from away, I am amazed at how low prices are, at the low taxes, and at how much less I pay for things.

But I have the perspective of being from away, I just 'don't get it'. Or so I have been told.

In talking to some locals, I have seen that they really do not want to hear the facts, or about other places where taxes are higher, rather it is like they console one another with agreeing that our taxes are the highest of anywhere.

It is a 'Maine thing'.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 AM

lol....I don't get it either Forest! My Calais taxes are "high", but geez, I can't think of anything here I don't WANT....fire dept, police dept with own dispatcher, rec program, amazing city crew on roads, local parks--outstanding athletic park with pool, soccer field, 3 balls fields--LL, softball, baseball--tennis courts, and playground, oh batting cages, skate park, library, great schools, city hall that I go in and everyone knows me, streets with new sidewalks, clean town--all this for a small "city" of 3300 or so.....hmmm.....I'm good!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
lol....I don't get it either Forest! My Calais taxes are "high", but geez, I can't think of anything here I don't WANT....fire dept, police dept with own dispatcher, rec program, amazing city crew on roads, local parks--outstanding athletic park with pool, soccer field, 3 balls fields--LL, softball, baseball--tennis courts, and playground, oh batting cages, skate park, library, great schools, city hall that I go in and everyone knows me, streets with new sidewalks, clean town--all this for a small "city" of 3300 or so.....hmmm.....I'm good!
I can do without the PD, I don't dial "911". My buddies Smith & Wesson or Sig Sauer are usually closer and can respond much faster, and if they can't handle the problem there's always the Big Mac Attack.

Don't have much use for the FD either. If I'm there I'll put it out myself, if it's too big for that...well, by the time the FD gets there they'll be too late. If I'm not there, by the time anyone would notice, it would probably be too late again.

Got my own pool and enough room for a dozen baseball, soccer and football fields if I wanted them. I buy my books so I don't use a library, don't have any kids to need a school. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I should be paying $2G a year in property tax.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM

well, that's one way we're different!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM

fire dept,
police dept,
rec program,
roads,
parks
public rec: pool, soccer field, ball fields, tennis courts, playground, batting cages, skate park, library,
schools,
sidewalks,
street sweepers.

Are all items that most cities in North America have. And they all have to pay for having those things.

I am sure that from one town to another the costs will vary a slight amount in maintaining all of these things. Each town does it's own budget and sets it's Mill Rate.

Maine towns are not unique in these issues.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
I guess we all have different needs and desires in life, and we tend to get what we pay for. I think if we didn't pay it in the form of taxes, they'd figure out how to get it out of us another way.

I'll take the taxes and amenities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: