Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Bush-hogging'?
I was just going to come and edit my post above because I saw another sign today with that word...yes, bush hogging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM

72 posts, read 205,510 times
% thing I am on going to do on vacation in Maine this summer:

1. Visit Fort Knox ( I am a huge history buff and that place fascinates me).
2. Get a Lobsta roll for the Keag store in South Thomaston.
3. Climb Mount Battie with my children.
4. Drive up and down the coast,stopping and seeing whatever interests us.
5. Relax, recharge my internal battery, and dream of living in Maine.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM

59 posts, read 124,020 times
This is fantastic and getting me excited! I'm moving to Orono for grad school. My dad was stationed in Brunswick in the 70s and 80s and has a lot of friends and family-like friends in the area. I've been to Brunswick, Acadia, and done site-seeing in Portland before with my family. With that being said, I look forward to doing it again (especially now that I'm an adult). Any advice on hiking? What do the eastern and northern parts of the state hold?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,492,414 times
1) watch a sunrise over Campobello Island
2) take a boat ride to the Wolves
3) visit Mt. Katahdin
4) drive to the top of Cadillac mountain and enjoy the view
5) spend a day on a lobster boat collecting traps

I could go on, and these are in downeast Maine.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfire View Post
% thing I am on going to do on vacation in Maine this summer:

1. Visit Fort Knox ( I am a huge history buff and that place fascinates me).
2. Get a Lobsta roll for the Keag store in South Thomaston.
3. Climb Mount Battie with my children.
4. Drive up and down the coast,stopping and seeing whatever interests us.
5. Relax, recharge my internal battery, and dream of living in Maine.
If you're going to Ft. Knox and you like lobster rolls, try the little place on Verona Island...if it's still there and under the same management it was a few years ago. My wife said they were wicked good. I wouldn't know good lobster from bad, all seafood is putrid as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM

341 posts, read 641,812 times
Why we like Maine? 1. Nature 2. People I am from one of the EU countries (not English speaking) but in Maine I am like at home. People don't care about accent but they care if you are a human or something else...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 20,759 times
The best of Maine is during the coldest day of the year, pretending that I am not in the USA at all, but in Belgium. Hopefully they will open the ferry to Nova Scotia, so I can escape from backwards USA to Halifax on a vacation. Someone once told me that the best part of being in Maine was the airplane flight to Australia! I consider immigrating to Portland Oregon. They have lightrail there, good transportation!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandano View Post
The best of Maine is during the coldest day of the year, pretending that I am not in the USA at all, but in Belgium. Hopefully they will open the ferry to Nova Scotia, so I can escape from backwards USA to Halifax on a vacation. Someone once told me that the best part of being in Maine was the airplane flight to Australia! I consider immigrating to Portland Oregon. They have lightrail there, good transportation!
Your posts all seem to run the same theme: you're don't seem to be happy here and it's due to lack of public transportation. Small cities do lack pub trans but for a reason; use (or the lack thereof). I find myself wondering why you have stayed for in Portland for 7 years . Are you trapped there? There are many cities all over the USA that have great tranportation, like Boston and suburbs, Atlanta, DC, ad infinitum. With that in mind, why did you pick Portland with Boston's T just down the road a piece?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Go to Reid State Park, about ten miles north of Brunswick off Rt.1, that is, ten miles to the turn off and then maybe ten more to the end of the finger. The most perfect combination of waves crashing on rocks and beach. One of my favorite places in the whole world.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,135,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
If you're going to Ft. Knox and you like lobster rolls, try the little place on Verona Island...if it's still there and under the same management it was a few years ago. My wife said they were wicked good.
Under new management some time in the past year. For awhile it was empty, and I was worried. Every time we have to head south to visit the unfortunate relatives who couldn't move to Maine, we stop there for lunch.

Wonderful little diner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine