Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,639,844 times

Advertisements

Ok, had it down to Madawaska, Calais, Eastport or Bath.

I like Mada due to French culture & I'm a Mtl NHL hockey fan from AZ here, thus it'd fit well -- tho can't speak 2 words (coherently, aha, tho in Frenchland all are drunk, eh? thus no need for coherence...lol).

Then comes Brit places like Calais (closest drive time to St John & Qmjhl hockey -- & beer!) Haha, this'd be a dream since desert & hockey are oxymorons or just...morons here in s. az. LOL

Ok, then Eastport really steals my heart as it is most east (thus closest geographically to Maritime provinces, w/out leaving USA, as g/f is on Soc. Sec. Dis. & must remain USA states side for income, med insurance, etc. I know Eastport has a decent med clinic outside Boynton, so that'd be awesome if this works out getting an apt someday. We have time here before moving, thus will make best choice I can.

Then comes Bath, as it has ALL of what I need/am used to, w/ Trader Joe's near in Portland & AHL hockey w/ Port. Pirates AHL team. This'd be fun too w/ 5 beers or so.

Ok, I need you sage wizard's advice out there. Many greats reside on here like Northermaineman, Forsetbeekeeper, Mainewriter, et al. Sorry if wine is affecting my mind tonite, but a guy of my age/generation (the '80s--1880s it feels like, hehee) is lucky he knows how to turn on a pc -- let alone type like in high school almost 30(,ooo - hahaha) yrs ago !

Ok, listening to oldies-type music from Ellsworth, ME on 'tunein radio' on google & the station is oldies format, it seems.

Thanks all for allowing the ramble-ation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,898,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, had it down to Madawaska, Calais, Eastport or Bath.

I like Mada due to French culture & I'm a Mtl NHL hockey fan from AZ here, thus it'd fit well -- tho can't speak 2 words (coherently, aha, tho in Frenchland all are drunk, eh? thus no need for coherence...lol).

Then comes Brit places like Calais (closest drive time to St John & Qmjhl hockey -- & beer!) Haha, this'd be a dream since desert & hockey are oxymorons or just...morons here in s. az. LOL

Ok, then Eastport really steals my heart as it is most east (thus closest geographically to Maritime provinces, w/out leaving USA, as g/f is on Soc. Sec. Dis. & must remain USA states side for income, med insurance, etc. I know Eastport has a decent med clinic outside Boynton, so that'd be awesome if this works out getting an apt someday. We have time here before moving, thus will make best choice I can.

Then comes Bath, as it has ALL of what I need/am used to, w/ Trader Joe's near in Portland & AHL hockey w/ Port. Pirates AHL team. This'd be fun too w/ 5 beers or so.

Ok, I need you sage wizard's advice out there. Many greats reside on here like Northermaineman, Forsetbeekeeper, Mainewriter, et al. Sorry if wine is affecting my mind tonite, but a guy of my age/generation (the '80s--1880s it feels like, hehee) is lucky he knows how to turn on a pc -- let alone type like in high school almost 30(,ooo - hahaha) yrs ago !

Ok, listening to oldies-type music from Ellsworth, ME on 'tunein radio' on google & the station is oldies format, it seems.

Thanks all for allowing the ramble-ation!
Just to clarify, Calais is alot closer geographically to Canada than Eastport. Plus Calais has a hospital whereas Eastport has a clinic. Eastport would most likely send you to Calais hospital from my understanding. I just bypass the middle man and drive to Calais if needed.

Sounds like you're getting you plans narrowed down well. Watch the wine though. That 3rd glass get you posting wierd things from youtube onto FB.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,344,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Just to clarify, Calais is alot closer geographically to Canada than Eastport. Plus Calais has a hospital whereas Eastport has a clinic. Eastport would most likely send you to Calais hospital from my understanding. I just bypass the middle man and drive to Calais if needed.

Sounds like you're getting you plans narrowed down well. Watch the wine though. That 3rd glass get you posting wierd things from youtube onto FB.
Sounds like he's looking for a cozy place to buy beer,
hang out with those who have beer and or beer shaped houses,
and the neighborhood has kids that play hockey.
You need to live in Canada my friend.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post

Haha, retired I knew I count on you. This is a desire as an older crazyman still (I hope I've not lost all insanity of youth, lol) to have some good Canadian wine (maybe blueberry from wild berries - yum I'm salivating as we speak, hehe).

But I know gotta have patience, & clock to slowly make the transition. You all here are superb, to help others & again, thanks a ton for keeping this thread moving, & the forum rocking, w/ sage advice to all trying to find a better life as we get older. This all in a country going to the dogs as is the desert s. west, which may as well sellout to south of the border, as you need speak spanish or you're lost here in Tucson, AZ.

At least the French or Brits aren't foreign to hockey. Now where's my skates, since haven't been sharpened in yrs, & thus I'll fall on my but as I try to skate. lol We have NO rink in Tucson, & would have to drive hrs to get to ice. Is this sensible w/ a team NHL in Phx? Heck no.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Sounds like he's looking for a cozy place to buy beer,
hang out with those who have beer and or beer shaped houses,
and the neighborhood has kids that play hockey.
You need to live in Canada my friend.

Hahahahaa now THAT is funny & hysterical. Hey got my street hockey sticks a Cooper & a Loisville (well actually old ice hockey sticks from the 90s, still here) & every while shoot rubber balls/tennis balls around apt til I dent walls. LOL

Can't wait for a cold one, & some action at its finest w/ some great fights (aka heavyweight go's) & we kickback (& even break my diet & women's waistline) & eat some pizza!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,920,348 times
All I can add at this point is that hockey is huge around the Madawaska/Edmundston area. It's the #1 sport.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Mainer, Yea I'll wake up in lost n found, haha, if I get hooked up the Frenchies partyin! LOL

But eh life is short so I gotta "shoot the puck", no? Hahaaaa

Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,149,150 times
When I visited Portland to check it out as a place to move when I retire, I also checked out their local hockey leagues. The rink north of Portland (a couple miles) has drop-in hockey almost every day and a league that plays in downtown Portland and at the suburban rink. I figure when I get to Maine, that will be the quickest way to meet new people.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,344,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hahahahaa

Can't wait for a cold one, & some action at its finest w/ some great fights (aka heavyweight go's) & we kickback (& even break my diet & women's waistline) & eat some pizza!
Sounds good! keep your stick on the ice!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Sounds good! keep your stick on the ice!
Haha, thx! You have a Maine coon? Wow, we got a long hair Tuxedo that may be part Coon. But I think Maine coons--in Maine--is the ultimate cat!

I can't wait til we eventually get our move on in the hopefully near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine