Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times

Advertisements

I doubt there are any ugly places in the state, but are there any specific towns/areas that we should avoid, maybe due to more than average decline in economy, cleanliness or quality of life? Thank you thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,404 times
Lewiston has always been "economically disadvantaged" since I can remember.

Unless you have a state/city/hospital/legal job or work at Country Kitchen (bread company), there isn't much available outside of retail or being self employed.

There is Bates college though which is sort of a shining gen amongst the rough but outside of that, you won't find a lot of reasons to live there.

The city also imported somalian refugees there (from Atlanta) about 5 years ago which hasn't helped the situation since there aren't any jobs to employ them with. They spend most of their days hanging around lisbon street and other areas complaining about how racist people are (which is probably true but that's not the point I'm trying to emphasize). It's that the city is not moving in a positive direction and it's one of the few areas in Maine that I would say is not worthy to live in. Coupled with high drug use and other problems, it can be ugly.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:53 AM

90 posts, read 302,766 times
Smile In Orono

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAhighschoolC View Post
I work as a call center manager and I would like to know which areas have these industries. I read that Bangor got a LL Bean and Waterville has T Mobile and there is one in Belfast for MBNA (?) Is it hard to get a job at any of these and are there other areas I'm missing. I would like my high schooler to be able to go to one of those private public type of schools that usually cost boarder 30K a year. She's really smart and in the gifted program and TIP (the duke university program) so that is a priority.
There is Microdyne (formerly known as EnvsioNet) in Orono. They do tech support for MSN and others.

Ralph M Bohm

Moderator cut: no advertising please

Last edited by Marka; 09-18-2006 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM

So, if you could live in any town in Maine, which would it be - considering proximity to work and affordable housing as well as great community relationships.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:30 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
Gorham, Cumberland, Yarmouth, Freeport... all great communities

Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 PM

It's very important for us to have some specific towns in mind to visit in March, as we'll be limited to 5 days to see them all, and we have a large area we'd like to cover. We are looking, of course, for a beautiful area somewhat near the coast. Small town - 7000 or less, preferrably, and within 45 min or so of the nearest city, probably Bangor. It seems the farther north you go in the state, the more untouched and pristine the land becomes. That appeals greatly to us.

After living outside Houston FOREVER, we're ready to be as far from urban concrete as possible. We love the pines - we have them here in our small town too, but our trees look like little baby trees compared to the towering pines we've seen in photos of Maine! We want a nice, family oriented, close to nature existence with lots of friends to eat and play with - for us and for our kids. We realize that no-where is perfect and will only ever be as good as we make it, but we'd like to get as close as possible!

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Elcarim- you really should not rule out looking around Portland. This is a small city, very rural compared to Houston. Even if you lived in downtown portland, you would be no more than 10 minutes away from nature hikes, rivers, canoeing, fort williams, etc. Maine is a very rural state in general. I recomened looking at the surrounding towns at least to get a feel. Maybe try looking at North Yarmouth, New Gloucester, Gorham. These are all rural areas yet still close to portland. These places are small towns- and some parts of them have neighborhoods.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,404 times
Elcarim, I think you've got the right area in mind. There are so many towns between the coast and Bangowaaaah, I think you'll just have to drive around until you find the right town.

Portland is not attractive to me for the same reasons. I need my country vibe and most of Maine has it north of Portland. Personally I wouldn't want to live near the ocean because of how cold it gets in the winter but being near it is great.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:24 AM

That's exactly the town feel we're looking for. I love the movies set in the 50s where the children ride their bikes down tree-lined sidewalks to school and play ball in the neighborhood field. The kind of town where neighbors actually stop and talk over the fence and look out for one another - not having to constantly look suspiciously AT one another as we do now.

It may be silly, but one of my favorite movies is Funny Farm starring Chevy Chase. The coulple leaves the "big city" and move upstate New York to settle in a gorgeous, tiny country town. Despite all the misgivings and comical adventure, they come to find the community folks the best thing that ever happens to them, and finally settle in and start a family. I know it sounds pretty idealistic and may be more dream than reality, but I believe it's still out there - somewhere.

I'm a free-lance writer and photographer. I don't think I'd ever run out of things to write about and photograph in Maine! I expect to be completely awed and inspired.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Chris what are you talking about? living by the ocean in the winter is warmer than living inland. It's also cooler during the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine