Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 AM

14 posts, read 53,878 times

Advertisements

Hi -

By means of Realtor.com and Google, I find that I like the A/L area, property values, and proximity to Portland (I travel alot and need an airport closeby). Problem is that I'm not familiar with the town to know if the neighborhoods I'm interested in are considered good or bad.

I'm looking at property off Court Street, close to Taylor Pond - I guess that's East Auburn. I see a bit of high density, but it appears to be mixed in with single family dwellings. Is this a good/bad area. What can you recommend I look into and what can you recommend I avoid?

Thanks so much for your help.
pdx_ore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Auburn isn't a bad place. It can range from suburban to rural in set up depending on how close to the center of Lewiston you look. Obviously, the closer to Lewiston you are, the more built up it will be. Along the northern portion of route 4 in Auburn is the suburban strip mall style shopping. You'll find a decent collection of chain stores and restaurants as well as a small indoor mall.

I wouldn't say there is a "BAD" area in Auburn (though Lewiston has some semi-blighted neighborhoods and is struggling to rebound). The area off of Court Street between Route 4 (Minot Ave) and Route 136 is the most built up section of town (though it's still fairly suburban in nature). It has the largest collection of multi-family homes (many single families as well) in Auburn and is home to some of the more lower income residents. It's not a haven for crime, but it's not what I would describe as one of the better areas of town.

The closer you get to Taylor Pond, the more rural you're going to find the surroundings to be. You can find some nice pieces of land here and they'll be pretty quiet and safe. I would say that looking into that area wouldn't be a bad idea.

As far as what can I recommend, it would depend on what you're looking for. Do you want to live in a higher density suburban area, a lower density suburban area, or rural? Auburn has all three of those. There are some nice, rural, quiet plots of land off of Hotel Road and Lake Street as well as Park Ave and Mt. Auburn Road. I like the area on Poland Road just off Minot Ave in terms of medium density suburbs. There are a lot of lower density suburbs off of court street too when you get further away from Lewiston.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I have been to PDX many times and I have many friends that live there today, but I cannot think of one area of PDX that I can use as a reference for you.

The best that I can come up with is that Auburn, ME is akin to Klamath Falls minus the hobo population and Portland, ME is similar to Eugene but slightly more yuppy and less hippy.

I will agree that there isn't really a "bad" area, especially in comparison with PDX. Just do not be fooled by the Mayberryesque image that a lot of these posts in this forum like to portray. While your chances of getting shanked or caught in cross-fire are slim to none, drug use and the petty crimes that come along with that scene are pretty common. While it is not that bad, it is not that good, either, but chances are that it won't affect you much.

Moving to Auburn, ME from PDX is going to be a fairly big change for you culturally, economically as well as entertainment-wise. I am thinking that Portland, ME. might be a better spot to transition to the Maine lifestyle, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM

162 posts, read 400,156 times
PDX, I'm with K-Luv: Moving to Auburn from Portland OR will be a big change. I have family in Auburn and it's fine, but it has very little happening. Not a lot of restaurants or other entertainment. A little difficult to meet people, too, because it's not much other than a place to live. I think you'd probably prefer someplace closer to Portland. You might check out Gorham, Gray, New Gloucester and other towns close to Portland. Is there some reason you wouldn't look at Portland itself?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
wher to live and where to avoid.go to the part of town that has mid to nice homes.then drive to the part that has trash on the streets crack houses junk in the yard then you decide where to avoid.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I have a place in Auburn, not far from the auburn turnpike exit, very nice neighborhood off east hardscrabble and beech street,,,, and off hotel road,
hotel road towards taylor pond (off minot ave) is a nice area,,,also towards outer lake street

Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Most of Taylor Pond area is pretty nice. Auburn is a good area for the most part. You might also consider a couple of the towns around Auburn such as Minot or Hebron.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 AM

87 posts, read 251,798 times
Are you still looking at this forum? How many people are there in your family? Acadian Lion is very good at asking questions about what you want and why. It is very very difficult to describe this state, and its towns, from a google perspective. Can you visit us?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 AM

87 posts, read 251,798 times
Well, what I mean is that we can describe the town of your choice, but it will be in our terms. For example, I would say that Auburn is so close to rural areas that it is not really suburban. It is a small town/city plunked into the middle of a beautiful but very rural area. It has suburban housing that is so small in area that it would be considered neighborhood, in my mind. One look, as Ranger said, and you will know.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
Default PDX look up Hallowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_ore View Post
Hi -

By means of Realtor.com and Google, I find that I like the A/L area, property values, and proximity to Portland (I travel alot and need an airport closeby). Problem is that I'm not familiar with the town to know if the neighborhoods I'm interested in are considered good or bad.

I'm looking at property off Court Street, close to Taylor Pond - I guess that's East Auburn. I see a bit of high density, but it appears to be mixed in with single family dwellings. Is this a good/bad area. What can you recommend I look into and what can you recommend I avoid?

Thanks so much for your help.
pdx_ore
I've lived in L/A area. I've lived in Hallowell. I've never been to Portland OR but can tell you this. Hallowell , Maine is a nice town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine