Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM

34 posts, read 71,633 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the US for a few years since immigrating here, but I don't like the south where I am (Raleigh, NC) and I have been looking for somewhere where I can call home and feel that I belong.

I don't have much money to travel around to check out places and neither do I have much time to waste on mistaken moves due to my age (50). My search has to therefore be done online as much as possible, with carefully planned trips when something looks promising.

My attention has turned to Maine as a possible state that might suit.
I know nothing of the towns and cities there, expect what I can find online.

Ideally, I would like a quiet home, ideally in a woodland-type setting, without any immediate neighbors (I don't want my home to be easily seen from theirs) perhaps in a small town or an out of the way home in a large town, where I don't have to subjected to the noise and activity of the town, traffic, etc.
I read that there are dense forests in Maine but are these areas wild or developed and able to sustain people living in them?

I am quite independent and really don't care for communities or being involved with stuff locally. I'm not anti-social - I just like my own company and space.

I would also like to know what the reality of living in Maine is, compared to the declared information that is provided for by the state, i.e. cost of utilities, traveling around, weather, quality of life (I read that Maine's water is the best in the US or perhaps the world)

I am unemployed currently and I may need a job, although I have an idea for an online business that I would like to pursue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

There is still a lot of freedom in Maine. My neighbor shoots skeet off his back deck. You can do that here. You can get on an ATV and ride 100 miles to the ocean and it's legal. We love the outdoors and you'll never be bored. Come up for a visit. When you move you might want to rent for a few months to be sure you like the community. Regular 9 to 5 jobs are scarce, but there are lots of seasonal jobs to be done.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
I'm a Maine native. I think we have a pretty little state, however, when it's time to retire, I plan on heading south as the winter's here are cruel...meaning cold! There are not many jobs to be had, utilities are expensive. If you do move here, find a nice rural area with lots of land, cut your own firewood, garden etc.,

Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I built my own house, mostly by myself. I live in a forested area. I have planted a small fruit and nut and herb orchard [about 60 trees], raised bed gardens, etc. We have 1/4 mile of river frontage on our land.

We know people who do live off-grid, and whose primary source of income is marketing their garden produce.

However full-time jobs are scarce in Maine.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
forest beekeeper, what kind of nut trees have you planted? I'm not young enough to plant anything but dwarf fruit trees now! We sold our home with all the land and now only have 3/4 of an acre on the water. It's still amazing the gardening you can do though even on a small piece of land.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
forest beekeeper, what kind of nut trees have you planted? I'm not young enough to plant anything but dwarf fruit trees now! We sold our home with all the land and now only have 3/4 of an acre on the water. It's still amazing the gardening you can do though even on a small piece of land.
Walnut, pecan, chestnut, hazelnut, almond; along with ginkgo, cherry, witch hazel, pear, plum, fig, mulberry, apricot, and elderberry.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM

41 posts, read 155,860 times
Default Same Boat

Hello!

I am in a similar situation. I am originally from NC (just north of Raleigh) as well and my husband and I have decided to give Maine a go once he retires.

We have lived all over the U.S. and our favorite place was Northern RI where he was stationed for 3 years. Rhode Island/Mass area is a little too expensive and not quite as small town as we are hoping for so we too, decided that Maine would probably be a good fit.

We have school age children too and one of my priorities is making sure they are in a good school district. Maine seems to fit all of our wants all the way around.

I plan to travel up there this summer to look for a rental before deciding where to buy for sure. Maybe that is something you might want to do as well. Raleigh was about a 12 hour drive to where we lived in Rhode Island so it would be a feasible drive for even a long weekend to check it out a bit.

Welcome to the "contemplating Maine club"

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM

41 posts, read 155,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Walnut, pecan, chestnut, hazelnut, almond; along with ginkgo, cherry, witch hazel, pear, plum, fig, mulberry, apricot, and elderberry.
Forest Beekeeper I am going to come shopping on your farm when I get there!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM

34 posts, read 71,633 times
Thank you to all who have replied so far.

While my background has been working in offices, my preference would be to do something different now (my type of work is being farmed out to India more and more) and so I would be ready to learn new skills or do whatever work I could get to help me live the kind of life I would like.

I am quite a practical person and I am sure I could do all sorts of things, but I would need training or guidance and time.
I've never done any land-related or property work (although I own a property and know some basic things) nor have I got my fingers dirty, but I am ready to do so.

In my situation, I would have no possibility of buying a home (no savings and no job) and so renting is the only option for me for a while (1-2 years I would imagine) and which will allow me to learn about an area to see if its for me, as well as providing a base to explore areas further away that might also be suitable.

From what I have read so far, I did not get the idea that Main was cold, like the cold in Wisconsin/Minnesota/North Dakota.
I am not really affected by cold temperatures (I have not turned on any heat in my home since March 2011 and I am with T-shirts, shorts and flip flops all year round) and can easily warm myself up when required.
I just need to understand what level of cold is typical in Maine.

Can someone give me an idea of typical temperatures for each season, along with an estimate of days with rain/snow. Also, a rough % of sunny days v overcast days.
Also, are people snowed in their homes often each year, like in the above states?
I came from a country where overcast skies and lots of rainy days were the norm (like Seattle but worse). This kind of weather doesn't suit me at all.

I'd also like to know if there are distinct differences between towns in Maine or if they are more or less similar?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
https://www.city-data.com/forecast/w-Bangor-Maine.html

That's for today. The rest is all here:

https://www.city-data.com/states/Maine-Climate.html

It's all right here in City-data.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine