Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,111,045 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! just checking in to say hi I'm off to the DAC cheering comp in East Machias--spent the day Jeeping and Geocaching, got soaked and forgot the snowshoes, duh! Will talk to you all later tonight!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM

653 posts, read 1,920,254 times
thanks Maine Writer.
thanks Forest.

Have to build one of this hoop house, been wanted to build one for the some time now, at first think to use galvanize fence materials but not all fittings are avalable and it become pretty costly.

Did not think the conduits would work, because of it too flexing, by using 1x 3 to support make sense. i think 2 x 4 would be too heavvy for this.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:12 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,195,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I had to laugh, we've been making polenta from cornmeal forever. Grits make the best polenta. It comes out very creamy and smooth.
When visiting a friend's parents in Atlanta they made some kind of cornmeal mush (?) in a cast iron frying pan that they baked in a hot oven. And it was topped with fatty bacon that they called "cracklins" ...Probably the Maine forum is not the place to talk about this although there was a good long run of the "grits" thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,049 times
When I made my temporary greenhouse out of PVC bent between 2x8s laid on the ground and 2x4s attached to the side of the house, I lashed additional long pieces of pvc in place as bracing. The structure was held together by tension and bailing twine lashing and then I stapled contractor-grade plastic over the top, held down by rocks. The ends could be opened as needed. It did not have to withstand serious winds though, as it was "down in a hole" of sort... we were in a passive solar semi-underground home with a terraced garden and about a 12' deep "lawn" dug out on the south side... so while my plants got sun even in Jan and Feb when I started seedlings, the whole structure was below ground level.

Depending on where I end up, I may try something similar in addition to the hoops... one thing about my temp. structure was that if needed we could open it to the indoors to help moderate temperatures both in the "leanto" and in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
thanks Maine Writer.
thanks Forest.

Have to build one of this hoop house, been wanted to build one for the some time now, at first think to use galvanize fence materials but not all fittings are avalable and it become pretty costly.

Did not think the conduits would work, because of it too flexing, by using 1x 3 to support make sense. i think 2 x 4 would be too heavvy for this.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
When visiting a friend's parents in Atlanta they made some kind of cornmeal mush (?) in a cast iron frying pan that they baked in a hot oven. And it was topped with fatty bacon that they called "cracklins" ...Probably the Maine forum is not the place to talk about this although there was a good long run of the "grits" thread
My wife was making cracklins in our motorhome and kitchen during the first two weeks of December [from our hog].

Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM

48,167 posts, read 22,024,577 times
Well the emotional roller coaster of trying to sell our home continues. We had two showings today and another scheduled Sunday (tentatively). One of the ones today was a repeat coming back for another look. Maybe this time! I know he likes it!

When I say my little prayer to St. Joseph, I ask that he bring someone here for whom this house would be their perfect home--I have a sense that the one today is in that catagory. It is a father and two little girls (3 and 6) relocating from back east. He wants a safe neighborhood to raise his daughters....this is a lovely, quiet, safe, garden like neighborhood with no thru traffic, with 3 bedrooms and a pretty back yard. He said he will be working from home and there is an alcove in the master bedroom where he could set up his computer and look out over the golf course and the surrounding hills.

I hope he can swing it and makes an offer. Not just for me but for them as well.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

I hope he can swing it and makes an offer. Not just for me but for them as well.
I am about to talk to the Gods, I'll put in a good word!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM

323 posts, read 993,851 times
Good Luck Elston! Your house sounds very nice and perfect for that family.
Fingers crossed!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM

874 posts, read 1,857,105 times
Oh Elston... I truly hope this is it. (((((((((hugs))))))))))

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Well the emotional roller coaster of trying to sell our home continues. We had two showings today and another scheduled Sunday (tentatively). One of the ones today was a repeat coming back for another look. Maybe this time! I know he likes it!

When I say my little prayer to St. Joseph, I ask that he bring someone here for whom this house would be their perfect home--I have a sense that the one today is in that catagory. It is a father and two little girls (3 and 6) relocating from back east. He wants a safe neighborhood to raise his daughters....this is a lovely, quiet, safe, garden like neighborhood with no thru traffic, with 3 bedrooms and a pretty back yard. He said he will be working from home and there is an alcove in the master bedroom where he could set up his computer and look out over the golf course and the surrounding hills.

I hope I can tell you to "Get Packing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine