Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 AM

228 posts, read 221,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
LTTT, you silly goose, what have you uncovered today?
Okay David I seem to get thing's a little more out in the open then some people would like but I was alway's taught "Stick's and stones may break my bones but word's will never hurt me" Anyway since there is no crime in Maine why are all our jail's full?? Could it be that there all innocent in there.Naw:Explain that!! Thank's for your responce David I'll keep it interesting.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
I understand your not wanting me to tell the truth you sell real estate in Maine. I'm sure that doesn't make you bias!!But have you as a real estate agent went back and talked to your customer's after they have lived here for 5 year's?? I doubt it because when the sale is done you have your money.And as far as proving what this state is like I have directed people to badcops.com | Background-Check | unauthorized query | unauthorized query | unauthorized query (http://www.badcops.com - broken link) , Bangor Daily News , Maine Supreme Court Decisions , mainesexoffenders.com , I have not only given my opinion but have guided them where to get informed. And have you heard about gun's disappearing from one of our police stations and nobody knows where they are. When gun's can be stolen from a police station and the police can't find them how safe are we ??
Hey "Lets Distort The truth"

Anything can be twisted and misconstrued. Some of those web sites you mentioned are far from credible.

How safe are we? As safe as we have ever been. The world is not coming to an end. All realtor’s are not just out for your money and all cops are not crooked.

The fact is most people are honest and law abiding with some bad apples. Police officers in general have to be scrutinized and put through polygraphs and psychological testing so there are even fewer bad apples. Realtors have rules that they have to abide by and then there is a governing board that can fine, suspend, or issue permanent revocation of their license, for any unethical behavior or violations. As a police officer I can tell you not everyone could operate under the microscope like we had too. I have found civilian life much easier. If you have valid and specific issues with specific events or observations we want to hear from you and converse with you. Generic venting and complaining will not help anyone.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
geez Coaster, I hope he's not....I believe LTTT is male, most trolls are.....we're not allowed to be selling here are we?

by the way, LTTT if you mean for your posts to carry any authority, one of the best things you can do is stop the sarcasm. Those little rolling of the eyes icons you use () denote sarcasm, and they are extremely rude. It's difficult to take things seriously when a poser, oops, my bad, I mean POSTER, uses them.
Mollysmiles would you please turn yourself in to the moderator for calling me a troll.Calling people names is not nice.Remember Molly Free Speech does not only apply to you!!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
I have never said all people in Maine are bad because thier not!! But ignoring what crime and corruption we do have will not make it better will only make it worse and I for one will not be a ostrich!!
Why do you think we are ignoring it? Because the majority of us choose to not OBSESS about it, that it's equal to ignoring it? Of course there is crime (but you can ignore that statement once again, if you choose, to- people have said it about 100 different ways already, and you keep arguing that people are disagreeing with you about it...kind of ostrich-like, if you ask me...), but in my opinion, you would be more likely to have a random act of kindness committed against you here in Maine than be a victim of a crime. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY CRIME IN MAINE (just in case you thought I was saying there wasn't... I wouldn't want to be misunderstood here...) Maybe that's just the particular town/county/region that I live in, but if I find that to be true (that MY Maine is a good place), who are you to try to force me to say that "my" people are bad and corrupt, when I don't think that AT ALL?

I love where I live, and find that the benefits of living here FAR OUTWEIGH any negatives, including the VERY SMALL amount of crime. Obviously, you are free to focus on whatever part of Maine life that you want to, including corruption, but me? I'd rather live a different kind of life than to be obsessed about the very small drop of bad water in an ocean of good.

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH CRIME AND LOCAL CORRUPTION, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND FILE THE NECCESARY MOTIONS TO BEGIN AN INVESTIGATION! If you haven't done that.... you have NO right to complain about what OTHER PEOPLE haven't done. And since you have CONTINUALLY avoided telling us anything that you have done about what seems to be your very big issue, perhaps you should change your course of action from encouraging us to (falsely) admit that we are all greatly impacted by the seedy and corrupt side of Maine, to actually doing something about it.

In fact, in the TRUE spirit of Maine, I'll even offer to find you the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for your reps from Caribou. Maybe if you called the corrupt town officials and directed them to this very message board, you might just get the debate you are really after.

And since I guess we need to go remedial... we weren't making fun of violent crimes, or even serious crimes, but more about the fact that most of us do not have to worry about such crimes on a daily, or really even a yearly basis. Could I have my house robbed tonight? Of course I could! But oddly enough, the door has locked once in about 10 years, and that was only to keep anyone from mistakenly letting my cats out when we had to go to CT for a funeral, not to keep the criminals out. Car stolen? Of course- I leave the keys in the ignition 99% of the time (only take them out to unlock the trunk, usually, and then proceed to lose them..lol). We were (at least I was) making fun of the LACK of crime in their communities, and offering up what crime is going on within our local communities (as you have with Caribou). Maybe it sounds so hokey because when we get right down to it.... because most Mainers have very little crime to complain about.

Post deletion/modification expected in 6.......5......4.......3.......2........1.......

Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Yeah, I've already had one deleted from this thread! Guess I was too truthful!!

I just found it interesting that in Belfast, which is a coastal town (one of the more expensive places to live in the US) is .52% BELOW the average cost of living. That's cool!

And, of course, they are a 1 and 3 on the crime scale. Surprisesurprise!!

Morning everyone!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Hey "Lets Distort The truth"

Anything can be twisted and misconstrued. Some of those web sites you mentioned are far from credible.

How safe are we? As safe as we have ever been. The world is not coming to an end. All realtor’s are not just out for your money and all cops are not crooked.

The fact is most people are honest and law abiding with some bad apples. Police officers in general have to be scrutinized and put through polygraphs and psychological testing so there are even fewer bad apples. Realtors have rules that they have to abide by and then there is a governing board that can fine, suspend, or issue permanent revocation of their license, for any unethical behavior or violations. As a police officer I can tell you not everyone could operate under the microscope like we had too. I have found civilian life much easier. If you have valid and specific issues with specific events or observations we want to hear from you and converse with you. Generic venting and complaining will not help anyone.
Hi I have given many examples(police caught drunk driving, DHS worker stealing from our elderly, go to www.maine (broken link) sexoffenders.com etc...) Nobody seems to want to face the truth. I believe the landscape in Maine is beautiful but there is crime and corruption and I don't think we need to close our eyes until it get's more out of control then it is.And statics doesn't tell you what really totally goes on in a nieghborhood.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Hey Alton is nearby to my home, and really closer to Argyle than Old Town in size of population.

"Compared to the rest of the country, Alton's cost of living is 12.08% Lower than the U.S. average."

"Alton public schools spend $5,869 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 15.4 students per teacher in Alton"

"Alton, ME, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 1. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3."

"Alton, ME, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 2. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3"

That is great!

Folks you know that even 'Chicken Little' had a valid point of view. And by her screaming that the 'Sky is falling', perhaps it did cause others to be more aware of their surroundings.

Perhaps in this case, by seeing how we really do compare to other communities nationwide; we can see how truly blessed we are to live in Maine.

Such a: low crime, low cost-of-living, wonderful area.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 AM

581 posts, read 713,994 times
Here is some data to chew on: http://www.maine.gov/dps/cim/crime_i...highlights.pdf

source of above link: Welcome to Crime in Maine

You're right LTTT, there is crime in Maine. You appear to be more obsessed with corruption than other types of crime. Have you ever wondered if maybe you are a little paranoid? I know I am, especially if I don't take my meds. And, as they say, just because you ARE paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you. Seriously, if you start seeing spooks behind every bush, there are some good medications available. If this is not the case with you, I don't mean to offend. One thing that I might agree with you on is that some offenders seem to be allowed to re-offend repeatedly, a la Scott Hewitt, before serious restraint is imposed, and there are other examples of what appears to be overly light punishment for some serious crimes.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:20 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
That reminds me of something DH said the other day when I was speeding down mainstreet. I noticed how fast I was going between redlights and commented that I needed to slow down before I get a ticket.

He said, "Oh, nobody is going to give you a ticket with me in the car. I know all these guys! I work scenes with them every day!"

The "good ol' boy" policy is in effect everywhere, I'm quite sure.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Again I will ask the question, "If there is so little crime in Maine why are our jail's so full they are hollering for new jail's to be built because thier is not anymore room to put new prisoner's and if there is so little crime where are these new prisoner's coming from??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine