Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

393 posts, read 982,500 times

Advertisements

"You have a woodstove, and you installed radiant under-floor PEX.

So why don't you have the woodstove heating the radiant PEX?"

Answer #1. Because we were dumb.
Answer #2. When we're away for a few weeks at a time, we need a system that will prevent pipes from freezing since we don't want to drain the whole house each time we leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

39 posts, read 64,531 times
Please explaine what a pitles adapter does since I'm not familiar with well drilling. I will be building the house except the timberframe. Hopefully I will start in the spring iff I can get rid of this dump.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm not possitive but, the water passing through pex can not get obove a certain temperature. It would have to be regulated.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM

My first attempt did not get posted. My guess is that water pemperature can not exceed 130 degrees passing through pex. Secoundly, what is a pitles adapter? I'm planning to build a timberframe in the spring if the real estate allows me to. I'm new to having to supply water via a well. Thanks Roge,

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,383,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpero99 View Post
Please explaine what a pitles adapter does since I'm not familiar with well drilling. I will be building the house except the timberframe. Hopefully I will start in the spring iff I can get rid of this dump.

A pitless adapter is what is used to transition from the pipe running down the well to the pump to the pipe running from the well casing to the house. A well is drilled and well casing placed into top portion and driven into the ground until it is seated securely into bedrock. There needs to be a good seal here so that no surface water will get into the well. When it comes time to install the pump, a trench is dug far enough down so that it is below frost. A hole is drilled into the well casing and a pitless adapter is attached. It is a two part device. The installer has a special tool probably hand made out of threaded pipe. He screws the pitless adapter onto it, then lowers it down the well casing and fishes it out through the hole that's been cut. Rubber gaskets and nut thread on from the outside securing the adapter to the side of the well casing. Again care taken to be sure no surface water will get into the well casing so this fitting is important. Now comes the part that makes it all work. The installer pulls up on the tool, the adapter slips apart and the installer can remove the portion that gets connected to the pipe running to the pump. The installer will lower the pump and pipe into the well casing to near the bottom of the well. An electrical cable is also connected. The pitless adapter gets connected to the top of the pipe. Now the installer connects the pitless adapter to his tool again and carefully lowers it into the well and snaps the connector back together. Presto, a sealed connection from the pump to the expansion tank inside your house. Without a pitless adapter there is no way to ever remove the pump from the well without some serious maneuvering. A quality install will also include a well rope tied to the pump in case something happens to the pipe. That way if the pipe breaks, you have the rope to help haul the pump out. Remember if you are pulling the pump, you are also pulling all that pipe full of water which is hundreds of pounds. Google pitless adapter and you can see what one looks like. Image attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Off grid-pitless-adapter.jpg  

Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
"You have a woodstove, and you installed radiant under-floor PEX.

So why don't you have the woodstove heating the radiant PEX?"

Answer #1. Because we were dumb.
Answer #2. When we're away for a few weeks at a time, we need a system that will prevent pipes from freezing since we don't want to drain the whole house each time we leave
We have valves in-line that allow us to change our line-up.

In one valve position our propane water heater supplies hot water to our radiant floor.

In another valve position our wood stove supplies hot water to our radiant floor.

In the third position our electric water heater supplies hot water to our radiant floor.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpero99 View Post
I'm not possitive but, the water passing through pex can not get obove a certain temperature. It would have to be regulated.
PEX can easily take 200F water [or hotter].

Most homes have water heaters that use a thermostat that regulates their outlet temp to anywhere from 100F to 125F.

My woodstove outlet can get 'hot' [not sure how hot really my gauge broke]. I have the woodstove outlet going into a thermal-bank [180-gallon] to be 'tempered' before it goes through our PEX tubing.

I know that your looking at off-grid. I like to have a primary system, with a backup system and a functional tertiary system for heat. [it is a habit I got into from spending too many years living underwater on subs].

So even if you plan to heat your radiant floor with a woodstove. I recommend that you consider a propane water heater as a backup method. Granted propane will cost you more as a heating fuel, but it gives you options.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Again, I will try to post. The water passing through pex should be no more than 130 degrees. with a stove that would be difficult to control. Secoundly, what function does a pitles adapter play? I hope to be building a timberframe in the spring if the real estate here on the island inproves. Having a well is new to me.
Thanks Roge

Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM

What a jerk I am. To bad I'm to stupid to read the posts. Thanks Kellysmith for repling for my multiple posts. What a jerk. Boy do feel stupid. Regards Roge,

Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks Forest for the correction.
Regards Roge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine