Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM

476 posts, read 749,618 times

Advertisements

I recently checked out a video embedded in this forum which explored the impact of the wind turbines going up on on Vinalhaven, and the residents who feel betrayed by the reality of the noise and lowered property values.
Here in Southern California, we have hundreds and hundreds of them to the east of L.A. as you head out towards Palm Springs, so I've seen first-hand what they really look like, and how incredibly huge they are.
I'd like to submit that the residents and property owners in Maine take a very long and hard look at any installations of these units. I don't know how far along the political/economic process is as far as these projects go, but from my perspective, it's tough to think of anything that is more of an eyesore (to put it mildly) and, as you approach them, noisy than windmills. Driving along miles and miles and miles of these huge structures, popping up like weeds in a once-beautiful area of Southern California is nothing short of heartbreaking. It truly takes ones breath away.
Hopefully I'm not reiterating or commenting too much on an old thread, but I would strongly advise taking a long, hard look at this technology before allowing their installation. It seems to me that there are plenty of alternatives that are more efficient, less costly, and nowhere near the blight on the horizon.
Perhaps I'll take some photos of what they really look like out here and post them so you can decide for yourselves.
I'd love some feedback on this and to get your thoughts on what the process has been thus far there locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,210,726 times
the enviro freaks started all of this now they dont like the looks of them or the way they sound.
how did they start this you ask.its simple.
they bit#hed and moaned about maine yankee (closed now)
they bit#hed and moaned about the hydro dams the fish cant reproduce.(so we got rid of some.)
they bit#hed and moaned about coal,and oil fired steam generators
they bit#h and moan about biomass steam generators.
i have one thing to say if these buncha bit#hen morons are so smart then where is the power going to come from if we dont have these.solar power?? have you ever seen a solar power array big enough to feed 15000 homes i have and its not pretty take 200 acres and strip it clean to put up the panels.
so for the enviro geeks out there until you come up with a better leave what works alone.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,401,420 times
Our local Veterinarian's office has a private windmill that powers the entire business. (I think it's great). If and when small, domestic turbines become available at an affordable price I hope to have one here.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM

503 posts, read 1,027,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Our local Veterinarian's office has a private windmill that powers the entire business. (I think it's great). If and when small, domestic turbines become available at an affordable price I hope to have one here.
I agree. If something that small can cover the needs of an individual building, then why can't one of those monstrosities put more than what they do ? It's been awhile since I checked but I think one of those small personal ones go for around $25k, might sound expensive but could pay for it's self in a few years. Plus what you don't use the utilities have to buy it from you per law.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
As a teenager I was fairly excited when folks started putting up windmills at Altamont Pass. Years have since gone by, I drove by them this last summer. Most of them are still motionless. The expense of maintenance is far more than what they generate; and the screaming of whinners every time a bird dies near a windmill, is mind numbing.

Two homes on my road here in Maine are off-grid and use solar-panels and windmills. They both prefer solar over wind. [in fact one of them has two windmills, he has only installed one of them. He is so disappointed with it's performance that he refuses to install his second windmill].

I think that folks should be encouraged to setup every form of power generation as possible.

As many folks that wish to stand independent, should.

As many folks as wish to provide power to the grid [for the millions of folks who are dependent on that grid] should.

I am in favour of nuclear power too.

I am in favour of windmills if they will work for you, and solar panels too [granted the toxic pollution from solar panels is really massive].

The USA sits on the world's largest deposits of coal. The world buys coal from the USA! We should be burning that stuff like crazy. It is domestic, it is cheap, lets use it while we can.

I wish I could find a handy wood-fired steam engine that I could use here to generate some power.

North America has like 95% of the world's Peat Bogs. Peat harvesting is done again and again every 8 years, peat is renewable and sustainable. Forget the out-dated whining of college professors [peat is a fossil and takes millions of years to form], we know better now, each strand of sphagnum moss grows up to 8 inches each year, the moss floats and pushes the mosses above it up further out of the water. As soon as the moss can no longer reach water it dies and is then 'peat'. North America sits on the world's primary supply of peat. Lets burn it and generate power like Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Denmark do.

Our eldest son has been tracking India's development of methane power plants, he is convinced that in a few years he should be able to power his car from bunny farts.

With the re-mapping of the Bakken oil field, we also now know that the USA sits on the world's largest oil field. Bigger than each of the Middle East fields. We have it baby, right here. But we are not drilling it.

There is only one thing that can possibly stop us from being independent and wealthy.

We have everything we need right here, it is all domestic.

Only one thing can stop us, Ranger talked about it earlier in this thread.

As such, none of this is happening. Everything has been laid in front of us, as if a great sheet laden with food was being lowered from heaven before us, and the voice "Take and eat".

But as a people we prefer to starve.

May Divine Providence guide us all.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,255,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As a teenager I was fairly excited when folks started putting up windmills at Altamont Pass. Years have since gone by, I drove by them this last summer. Most of them are still motionless. The expense of maintenance is far more than what they generate; and the screaming of whinners every time a bird dies near a windmill, is mind numbing.

Two homes on my road here in Maine are off-grid and use solar-panels and windmills. They both prefer solar over wind. [in fact one of them has two windmills, he has only installed one of them. He is so disappointed with it's performance that he refuses to install his second windmill].

I think that folks should be encouraged to setup every form of power generation as possible.

As many folks as wish to provide power to the grid [for the millions of folks who are dependent on that grid] should.

I am in favour of windmills if they will work for you, and solar panels too [granted the toxic pollution from solar panels is really massive].

The USA sits on the world's largest deposits of coal. The world buys coal from the USA! We should be burning that stuff like crazy. It is domestic, it is cheap, lets use it while we can.

I wish I could find a handy wood-fired steam engine that I could use here to generate some power.

North America has like 95% of the world's Peat Bogs. Peat harvesting is done again and again every 8 years, peat is renewable and sustainable. Forget the out-dated whining of college professors [peat is a fossil and takes millions of years to form], we know better now, each strand of sphagnum moss grows up to 8 inches each year, the moss floats and pushes the mosses above it up further out of the water. As soon as the moss can no longer reach water it dies and is then 'peat'. North America sits on the world's primary supply of peat. Lets burn it and generate power like Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Denmark do.

Our eldest son has been tracking India's development of methane power plants, he is convinced that in a few years he should be able to power his car from bunny farts.

With the re-mapping of the Bakken oil field, we also now know that the USA sits on the world's largest oil field. Bigger than each of the Middle East fields. We have it baby, right here. But we are not drilling it.

There is only one thing that can possibly stop us from being independent and wealthy.

As such, none of this is happening. Everything has been laid in front of us, as if a great sheet laden with food was being lowered from heaven before us, and the voice "Take and eat".

Great post! Thanks Forest.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,036,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

You mean this Bakken Oil Field? snopes.com: Bakken Formation

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,023,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post

I'm with you!! I've seen a few local ones that no one complains about either.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
You mean this Bakken Oil Field? snopes.com: Bakken Formation

Okay I stand corrected.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM

80 posts, read 139,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm with you!! I've seen a few local ones that no one complains about either.

This small residential type thing works for me if it doesnt effect the abutting homes...but the commercial installations I personally hate.
They belong offshore.
The proposed setup in Highlands...one of the most picturesque areas of NE...48 each 400 foot high windmills ! Thats not a typo and I understand is a private venture that wont benefit the folks that will look at them daily.
A real shame IMO.
Im no tree hugger but these things there is a mistake.
Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine