Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

We have the same issue here in Ill. Sometimes the salt is so thick that the cars and trucks kick it up and damage other vehicles. When I purchased my Toyota Celica GTS in 02 it was guaranteed not to rust for 5 yrs. The car is almost 10 yrs. old and it still hasn't any rust. (It only has 42K miles) I wash it 2-3 x a month including the undercarriage and wax it 2x a year. It has a manual trans. and I may have to sell it when we move to Maine. How will I ever get it up those big scary hills? (Picture sad face here. They're gone again.) I really love that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:24 PM

973 posts, read 2,384,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We have the same issue here in Ill. Sometimes the salt is so thick that the cars and trucks kick it up and damage other vehicles. When I purchased my Toyota Celica GTS in 02 it was guaranteed not to rust for 5 yrs. The car is almost 10 yrs. old and it still hasn't any rust. (It only has 42K miles) I wash it 2-3 x a month including the undercarriage and wax it 2x a year. It has a manual trans. and I may have to sell it when we move to Maine. How will I ever get it up those big scary hills? (Picture sad face here. They're gone again.) I really love that car.
No problem with a standard transmission in Maine. Lots of folks have them. A good set of studded winter tires will work wonders. Put 4 studded tires on and it will be a tank!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,764 times
I just replaced my manual transmission Jeep and I miss it already. I'd rather have a manual transmission on snow and ice than auto.

And yes, rust was the main issue with my old Jeep.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
... It has a manual trans. and I may have to sell it when we move to Maine. How will I ever get it up those big scary hills? (Picture sad face here. They're gone again.) I really love that car.
I prefer manual transmissions over automatics.

Why do you wish to sell it?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
I had many a small cars with manual transmissions, they did well thru the winter

Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,923 times
In September '09, I bought this truck and trailer in the Sacramento area and moved stuff to Dover-Foxcroft. It was a '95 diesel with no rust. I didn't have the need for it so I put it on Craigslist and I sold it to a fisherman that came up from Harpswell. He wanted to use it as a plow truck and told me that all the other trucks he had looked at, that were far newer than mine, had too much rust.

I sold it for $600. more than I paid for it. I sold the trailer for $100 more than I paid for it too. My gas bill at the time coming across country was about $800. We started Monday morning and got to Dover at 7pm Friday night. The four nights that we stayed in motels didn't cost me anything as my brother let me use his complimentary Choice Hotel points for 4 free nights. So with food and the rest of our 5 day expenses, I quess it cost me just a over two hundred dollars. I don't think I could have done much better.

The day he picked up the truck, he brought a buddy with him that also lived in Harpswell and was a cyber member of a BMW motorcycle forum that we both frequent. Small world.

This was me and my brothers first stop at Boom Town in Verdi, NV.

The day I bought the truck.

Last edited by RMoore007; 12-03-2011 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,864,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Inside a heated garage I guess?

I wish!
We just run the hose out the garage door and do the best we can, sometimes the whole truck will glaze over before you finish up and move back inside.

bill

Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I prefer manual transmissions over automatics.

Why do you wish to sell it?
I really don't want to sell it Forest. It depends on where we end up. Those hilly streets in Bangor were scary driving the automatic rental car. My car was made for the highway on dry pavement and is a dream to drive. I changed out the racing tires that came with it for a more practical tire but it is so light and still loses traction on wet pavement. Forget about the snow. I've been stuck so many times. I could keep it for summer use, it really is a great car. (They're back. Why do these things disappear all the time?) My husband wants a boring sedan, we will fight about that for a while. Guess who will win that argument.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I wish!
We just run the hose out the garage door and do the best we can, sometimes the whole truck will glaze over before you finish up and move back inside.

bill
You're going to think I'm crazy but I will take buckets of hot water to the garage to wash the salt off and dry it with a towel right away. It's so small it takes me maybe 30 min to wash and dry it.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
I really don't want to sell it Forest. It depends on where we end up. Those hilly streets in Bangor were scary driving the automatic rental car. My car was made for the highway on dry pavement and is a dream to drive. I changed out the racing tires that came with it for a more practical tire but it is so light and still loses traction on wet pavement. Forget about the snow. I've been stuck so many times. I could keep it for summer use, it really is a great car. (They're back. Why do these things disappear all the time?) My husband wants a boring sedan, we will fight about that for a while. Guess who will win that argument.
If you want to, just bring the manual transmission truck up here, and many Mainers will love to buy it from you.

Such a vehicle is highly valued because they are so much better in these road conditions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: