Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
What's high to one person might not be to another. Excise tax is based on the MSRP just like others have said here. The amount of excise tax decreases for 5 years after which the excise tax remains the same. Here's a calculator that will show you precisely what you will be talking about. Just use MSRP of the vehicle, not what you might have paid. I'm of the belief that excise tax on new vehicles is high.

Excise tax calculator

Thank you for posting this! I calculated my excise tax if I were to buy my model of car brand new. I'd pay $724.40 for a standard non-vanity plate.

I agree with you - I also believe the excise tax is too high on new vehicles. I might feel differently if the tax was based on actual price paid vs. MSRP. A 'suggested' retail price is usually overblown IMHO.

Factoring in insurance, loan interest, etc., I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick with my older car.

For grins and giggles, I also factored what it would cost in PA ($36 unless I'm missing some other fees - quite possible with the website - I can't imagine it would simply be $36) and in FL (where I eventually hope to become a snowbird) would be $71.85.

Big difference.

Last edited by cebdark; 11-23-2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
In Ct we had to buy the plates, then taxes on the plates, to the DMV.

The road taxes on the vehicle go to the DMV. Then your sent to a town [but never your own town] to pay property taxes on the vehicle, then back to the DMV to pay a registration fee to link the plates to the vehicle, plus the taxes on the registration.

For some goofy reason you always have to go to some other town to pay the vehicle property taxes.

I only had old beaters in Ct, and I have never gotten through the process for under $800.

It seemed crazy to me to drive a $200 car and pay $900+ to get it legal.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In Ct we had to buy the plates, then taxes on the plates, to the DMV.

The road taxes on the vehicle go to the DMV. Then your sent to a town [but never your own town] to pay property taxes on the vehicle, then back to the DMV to pay a registration fee to link the plates to the vehicle, plus the taxes on the registration.

For some goofy reason you always have to go to some other town to pay the vehicle property taxes.

I only had old beaters in Ct, and I have never gotten through the process for under $800.

It seemed crazy to me to drive a $200 car and pay $900+ to get it legal.
Yeah, that's pretty nuts to me too.

I just calculated my 'dream' car (2011 Loaded Dodge Charger).

$819.08 just for the excise tax. Guess I'll keep dreaming. Maybe I'll go for a '07 at $192.05 instead.

On the topic of grocery stores, Trade Winds is also a good alternative to higher-priced ones. I'm not sure if there are any closer to you than Blue Hill, but for others, there are some good deals there too.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Do you really not know? It's a nickname or term of endearment for Wal-mart.
Back in PA we called it Wall-Wart. Wd had three of them within a 20 mile diameter, and I never heard anyone use that phrase.

I do know that the phrase comes from a National Lampoon Movie.

On the excise tax, it would seem that each town has a different method and number per 1000 than the others.

Last edited by Zarathu; 11-23-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Back in PA we called it Wall-Wart. Wd had three of them within a 20 mile diameter, and I never heard anyone use that phrase.

I do know that the phrase comes from a National Lampoon Movie.

Since you are new to BH let me give you a little hint to help you get to know people and to become part of our community. The social center of BH is Don's AKA Shop and Save AKA Hannaford-you will see everyone who lives here there and especially in the winter. Shop here and meet people and support our community make new friends too. Trust me on this-I have lived here a looooong time.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the information, Angel Valley.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:08 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Thanks for the information, Angel Valley.

The reason I say this is because so many people we see around town are tourists. Once people get used to seeing you they will be more likely to be friendly instead of just assuming you are here for the weekend or whatever.

You are going to love BH. I moved here for one last wild summer after college with some friends and loved it from the start. At the end of the season I pulled over at Thompson Island and cried like a baby and decided that was it -I was going to stay next year.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
The reason I say this is because so many people we see around town are tourists. Once people get used to seeing you they will be more likely to be friendly instead of just assuming you are here for the weekend or whatever.
I don't see that many tourists now compared to the spring summer and fall. But I was surprised to see BH as a College Town. This is something you don't see in the summer. The place is crawling with kids(the 18-22 crowd is "kids" to a 62 year old).

I've found people to be exceedingly friendly, more so than any place I've ever been. It was one of the prime reasons why I wanted to be here. I've spent many Thanksgivings with just my wife and I, but its only here that a friend invited us to their house.

The neighbor down the street, I met the day when I went down to watch the giant crane they brought in to put in the 50 foot spruce's for his boat building business, before yesterday's storm. When he discovered I wasn't just another renter(which I told him right away), we really got to talking. I was amazed that he knew of us. His response was, "We heard that you wouldn't be able to move in until next year." "We heard"?? How??

I tell everyone right away that I've just moved here full time. In the group that we interact with everyone seems to know us.

Did you go to Senior College's Love of Place Food for Thought Discussion last friday at The retirement village, with Jack Russell? It was a little slow but Jack had lots of pictures. It was an extension of the 250th celebration.

We would have to say that we have developed more friends here over the summers, and now, than we had in PA where we came from.

Initially, our sub group will revolve around Acadia Senior College, Acadia Friends Meeting(Quakers), and the Abbe Museum. I'd like to volunteer at the car museum where ASC had a membership drive in October. I might join the
Rotary, and I'm sure we will join the YMCA.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I think the people you are referring to may have been referring to new cars which are actually assessed on the MSRP price not the actual purchase price. Actually, according to this link they all are assessed at the MSRP.

"For example, a 3 year old car with an MSRP of $19,500 would pay $263.25."

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

Many people who are considered "snow birds" register their cars in FL for the express purpose of saving hundreds of dollars on registrations, and also to not have to inspect a car more than (correct me if I'm wrong) every two years. They don't necessarily stay there for the full 6 months that are required to maintain residence however. Perhaps they just tend to drive newer vehicles. Who knows?

Up here, we have what a friend of mine likes to term "Inspection Nazis" . Although the actual inspection fee is a measly $12, it's more than headlights and blinkers now - and a simple inspection for our Dodge Ram ended up costing us well over $1500.00 in parts and labor (and yes, we had them show us everything that needed to be replaced - including a ridiculously priced replacement bulb for a fog lamp - if it's installed at the factory, it must be replaced for inspection, regardless if you use them or not).

If it fails, the current inspection sticker is cut in half, and you best not meet a state trooper if you decide not to tow it home, or you'll get a ticket for operating an uninspected motor vehicle. Maine is not kind to vehicles, and the state has really stepped up the collection of fines in this poor economy.

So, I guess every situation is different. I'm glad yours was inexpensive - for a person buying a new car? Not so much. I have friends who lease new vehicles. Depending on the vehicle, they can pay anywhere from $263 to $800+

Or, they can be cheap like me and pay $75 for a 14 year old beater car with no payment, and $225 or thereabouts) for a reasonably good 6 year old vehicle with no monthly payment. Our Dodge sits in the driveway unless we need to haul something because it has a whirlpool in the tank, but it costs somewhere in the range of $200 to register every year.

It's all about choices, but it's definitely not always inexpensive. I think people need to know how variable it can be is all.
My car is fairly inexpensive right off the lot so it definitely saved me money in the excise tax department. I also passed inspection with flying colors. (And you are right, he went over it with a fine tooth comb, put it up on a lift, got his flashlight out and checked every fricken nook and cranny. I was like a nervous parent.)

HOWEVER, you bring up a good point about new vehicles because this is what my mechanic said after the inspection:

Mechanic: "So you just moved here from FL?"

Me: "Yep! Looking forward to some cold!"

Mechanic: "Your car is in excellent condition."

Me: "I try to keep up on it. It's all paid for, too so I do my best to maintain it so that it lasts for a long time."

Mechanic: "Ayuh. It's a shame that in 6 years it will be all rusted out because of the salt they pour on the roads."

GAH.

Not what I wanted to hear. I asked him about that oil spray thing underneath that someone on this forum mentioned in some thread somewhere and he said it could be done but that it was messy and "probably wouldn't help much anyway".

Sigh.

I do NOT want to have another car payment. What on earth can I do to protect my car from the salt?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Mechanic: "Ayuh. It's a shame that in 6 years it will be all rusted out because of the salt they pour on the roads."

I do NOT want to have another car payment. What on earth can I do to protect my car from the salt?
You can pick up some spray cans of undercoating at any autoparts store. Below is a link to some for less than $10 a can. Find someone who will spray the underside of the vehicle with some of this stuff. Definitely have the metal portion of any brake lines sprayed. It will definitely save them for a few years. Without undercoating they will be toast in one season of salt. If they show any sign of rust, they must be replaced. Replacement is now of stainless steel because of the salt issues. But $50 worth of undercoat will go a long way toward resisting rust on the underside of the vehicle. Just find a mechanic who will spray some on for you. It's not messy if done right.
It's best if done on new, clean metal, but better late than never.

Sprayway Auto Body Rubberized Under-Coating Spray: Protect the undercarriage from stones & debris! undercarriage spray, rubber spray, sprayaway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine