Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM

46 posts, read 139,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I can answer that one - from our perspective, anyway. We are coming up, Uhaul, kids and dog in tow, without a job. We feel confident enough to do that, because DH is in a skilled profession that is in high demand in Maine. He's done his homework, talked to those in charge of the hiring and has already been told he'll be working as soon as we get there.

We are also coming with money in the bank, so we'll be completely self-reliant for several month, worse come to worse. Ordinarily, I would NOT suggest someone use that moving technique, but if you plan well ahead of time, it can be done.

Trying to get a job when you live out of state is almost a catch-22. No-one wants to hire someone for ordinary jobs unless they are already living there. That poses considerable risk on the employers part, and usually a time delay in the new employee being able to start. This may account for why a person finds it to take a year or more to "find" a job in Maine before they can move. If they are living there already and willing to take the jobs that I know full well are available, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I hear people in Texas say all the time "there just aren't any jobs!" "No-one will hire me!" Yet I know who people who go out every day of the week and start working immediately. I think in many cases it's a matter of what you're WILLING to do and what you're willing to be paid.

Good luck on the job searches!
Good points. When you've already moved somewhere and start looking for a job, it will show that you need it a lot more because you are already living there and need to start making an income. When you try to apply for a job out of state...why not just hire someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 AM

454 posts, read 886,364 times
Hi Nancy,

I live on the very outskirts of Vassalboro, in the Belgrade Lakes region....just a hop, skip and a jump to Waterville, Augusta, and even Belfast. I live on one of the lakes and it's gorgeous.....couldn't get me out of here with a shoe horn!

Oh, and Petertherock?

No one likes a whiner. LOL

Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM

192 posts, read 394,463 times
Thanks for all of the info everyone. It seems as if we will fit into your state perfectly. We can't wait to leave Ohio. Only day two of school and it's driving me crazy already.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Maine: The way life is...High taxes no jobs.
Ohio the heart of it all!!.....Drugs, crap jobs, higher taxes, poor schools, high crime, and people everywhere you look oh and we have that heat index of 103 today.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
The key to moving to ANY state is....make sure you have a job first. I cannot fathom why a person would move without a job waiting for them. Unless of course, they are retiring or are independently wealthy. LOL
Live in Columbus Ohio for some time. You will be on the first bus out.... no matter what it takes!! Our plan happens to be saving saving, and moving to a area in order to commute to the best job opportunity. We will rent at first pay 1 year up front and start a new life in a great state. We are sick of keeping up with the Jones's just want to keep up with the kid's!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,503 times
Quote:
Oh, don't come to Texas! Our taxes are even higher than Maine, our utilities are higher and if you DO get a minimum wage job (there are plenty of McDs hiring every day) someone is going to knock you over the head while you're pumping gas and take all your money anyway! You'll be in the same boat you're in now, just in browner waters.
Maine is the #1 taxed state in the nation. We have Democrats that are in control of the legislature and the governor's office. Taxes have steadily increased since I moved here in 2000. Of course I blame the idiots who live herre not only for voting for tax and spend liberals but also voting yes to every bond issue that comes up for a vote and then when we have a real chance at getting some real tax relief through bills like TABOR (Tax Payer's Bill Of Rights) the voters fall for the liberal tax and spend Democrats horror stories and vote against it. Whenever we have a tax relief bill like TABOR come up for a vote the Governor and Legislature promise if they vote against this bill they will provide real tax relief and the morons in this state fall for it (what Democrat has ever lowered taxes?) So instead of getting tax relief they just keep spending away.

I will give the Democratic Governor credit for his school district consolidation plan but even with that the teachers unions are fighting him tooth and nail over it and I doubt it will even go through and if it does he will just spend the money they save instead of using it for tax relief.

As for jobs, there are plenty of $7-$8 an hour jobs but that doesn't do you any good when the cost of living is so high. Anywhere near the Portland area you are going to pay $700+ for a decent 1 BR apartment in a good neighborhood and $1000+ for a 2 BR apartment. You won't find a decent house for under $200,000 unless you are really lucky.

The problem is, Florida is no better...I have been looking at apartments in Florida and it's the same deal there...in the last several years rents have skyrocketed and wages have stayed the same. I was looking around the Corpus Christi area of Texas and the rents and housing is a lot lower but you could wake up tomorrow and have nothing left after a hurricane wipes you out.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,425,258 times
Oh, I know the numbers. I've run them side by side with where we are now. I've posted it before and won't bother posting it again, but just to cite one example: We currently pay 33.20/1000 property tax. The tax rate in Belfast is 19.00/1000 and other towns are even lower. You just have to choose wisely when relocating. Our electric rate per kwh is higher here than in Maine as well.

It all goes back to one thing - personal priorities! Do you value your money more than your personal health/safety/lifestyle? I don't!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know the numbers. I've run them side by side with where we are now. I've posted it before and won't bother posting it again, but just to cite one example: We currently pay 33.20/1000 property tax. The tax rate in Belfast is 19.00/1000 and other towns are even lower. You just have to choose wisely when relocating. Our electric rate per kwh is higher here than in Maine as well.

It all goes back to one thing - personal priorities! Do you value your money more than your personal health/safety/lifestyle? I don't!
I too have run the numbers. I also feel very confident I will find work in my field for the same money I make here. I will save money living in Maine! Yes save money. We will be more safe living in Maine. MY children will have a better quality of life in Maine. And when we purchase a home again I feel we will get a bigger bang for our buck, and more up-side potential than the rotting mid-west!! I will trade you homes,taxes, and my 1000's of crazy/lazy neighbors any day of the week.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Oh, don't come to Texas! Our taxes are even higher than Maine, our utilities are higher and if you DO get a minimum wage job (there are plenty of McDs hiring every day) someone is going to knock you over the head while you're pumping gas and take all your money anyway! You'll be in the same boat you're in now, just in browner waters.
Be careful with that.

Around here it is like a local religion.

Folks insisting that Maine taxes are high, that crime is high, that wages are low, and I have seen people getting upset when you point out the facts.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Maine is the #1 taxed state in the nation. ...
Get a grip.

I moved here to Maine, for the lower cost of living. The lower taxes, lower home prices, and much more friendly economy.

I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine