Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 PM

30 posts, read 32,928 times

Advertisements

I'm not 100% sure how completely accurate this site is, so maybe the mainers could let everyone know if it's bs or not. On the Better Homes and Gardens real estate site you can choose: Find a community then pick what state. From that point you answer various questions ie: what type of neighborhood whether suburban, metro, rural; median home price; family friendly, health services, basic needs services (how important are big box stores) things like that. You select your level of importance and it matches you with the communities they think might be best suited for you based on your answers. I think that it's a neat little tool, especially since you can choose to search the whole state of Maine. If you're like me and aren't sure which area or county you should look at this seems to give you insight to at least towns that may be more specific to your liking. Like I said, I'm not sure on the accuracy, but when you click on a town that has been recommended you can choose to look at homes they're selling, or at community facts. I hope this helps people wanting to move to Maine (like me)

Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate | Homes For Sale | Real Estate Listings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,466,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix3 View Post
I'm not 100% sure how completely accurate this site is, so maybe the mainers could let everyone know if it's bs or not. On the Better Homes and Gardens real estate site you can choose: Find a community then pick what state. From that point you answer various questions ie: what type of neighborhood whether suburban, metro, rural; median home price; family friendly, health services, basic needs services (how important are big box stores) things like that. You select your level of importance and it matches you with the communities they think might be best suited for you based on your answers. I think that it's a neat little tool, especially since you can choose to search the whole state of Maine. If you're like me and aren't sure which area or county you should look at this seems to give you insight to at least towns that may be more specific to your liking. Like I said, I'm not sure on the accuracy, but when you click on a town that has been recommended you can choose to look at homes they're selling, or at community facts. I hope this helps people wanting to move to Maine (like me)

Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate | Homes For Sale | Real Estate Listings

The site looks legit, it has some good search tools

Better Homes has a Masiello group/name up this way (on the signs)

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM

37,747 posts, read 61,963,454 times
I tried: all of Maine; rural; median prices between 20k and 100K.

The number one search result was Augusta with 19k population.

I did it again and the second time the number one result was Howland.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,833,918 times
The Howland area has a financial problem. Their school disrtrict was mismanaged for at least three years and they overspent by around two million dollars. They just fired all the teacher's aides who were not one on one and there are more cuts coming along with tax increases for the towns in that district.

The new superintendent inherited this mess. It is not his doing. However, he is the one who must draft the response. I expect that area townspeople will elect some new school board members at their next elections.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,347,828 times
Perhaps if you have a rough idea of the population of the town/city you are looking for and make a list of the towns in Maine that fit the general population size (could be a long list if you're looking at small towns, lol!).

And maybe you could then weed out some of them by geographic region (Ex, if you want to be on the coast, weed out the inland mountain areas), or available activities (Ex skiing vs sledding vs sea kayaking, etc) or children's activities (dance schools, museums, etc).

From there start plugging in prospective town names into the search box here on CD and read through the threads that come up. There is a ton of information in old threads that will help you cross towns off your list, as well as add other towns to your list. Online forums aren't representative of an entire area, but maybe using that process will at least help you develop a 'hit list' of places to visit.

Once you get up to Maine for a visit, you'll get a feel for the areas and know exactly where you will fit best. Maine is the biggest state in New England and IMO most places that I have seen are wonderful, so it can be hard to narrow down!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

When it comes to rural Maine, I find that most internet websites simply do not list rural areas.

I do google searches for my township, and there simply is not a lot of information on the internet.

I see properties for sale, but there is no presence online for them.

The clear majority of Maine is rural, and for rural there is very little in terms of online presence. Even our local newspaper has no website.

Which is why I found it humorous when the search for 'rural' came up with the state capital as #1 rural location.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,347,828 times
Forest Beekeeper, it has to be a nice feeling knowing your town is off the radar, so to speak!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Forest Beekeeper, it has to be a nice feeling knowing your town is off the radar, so to speak!

Pretty nice

Old 10-29-2011, 01:08 AM

2,053 posts, read 3,402,169 times
I LOVE this "old" (from the '80s) Maine Atlas book that i have.

It has helped me find sooo many rural areas/town to look up and research, and when i search for houses for sale i can see the area on these maps - what it would be reasonably close to etc., and then find out more online. It helps me find out names of small towns to add to 'searches' too when i want to go on realtors' sites.

I have looked on the site before that the OP shared also, tho.

I think i have looked everywhere possible

Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I LOVE this "old" (from the '80s) Maine Atlas book that i have.

It has helped me find sooo many rural areas/town to look up and research, and when i search for houses for sale i can see the area on these maps - what it would be reasonably close to etc., and then find out more online. It helps me find out names of small towns to add to 'searches' too when i want to go on realtors' sites.

I have looked on the site before that the OP shared also, tho.

I think i have looked everywhere possible
A lot can be gained by simply driving up/down these county roads.

I made five trips to Maine, meeting with realtors, going out to look at and walk the property-lines of properties for sale. I spent a week on each trip and I looked at a lot of properties.

In the end, I did not buy property from a realtor. But it exposed me to a lot of Maine. Small towns with a realtor office and property listings in their windows. Talking to folks in diners, when asked about 'land for sale' they all seemed to know someone who was selling something.

For many sellers the only thing they have going is a hand written sign on a tree. If you do not drive down that road, you will never see that sign.

Much of Maine is not online.

Many Maine business' have no website, no online presence. Our newspaper has no online presence. Search the internet all you want, it is not there.

The way to find things in Maine, starts by being in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine