Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
check out this link from maine dept of labor

Maine Department of Labor: Maine Jobs in Demand
Interesting; they predict some careerfields to loose a lot of positions; while others to gain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Interesting; they predict some careerfields to loose a lot of positions; while others to gain.

I think that ebb and tide always happens everywhere. It depends on what the 'flavor of the moment' for supply and demand is.

I'd be interested in knowing how many carpenters, electricians, and even insurance claim adjusters are subcontracted?

I recently had a driver for a landscaping company (fairly good size, locally owned, and shall remain nameless) - "on the QT" of course - tell me he could get laid off from driving a dump truck in the summer and get all the hours he wanted (under the table while collecting unemployment mind you) plowing snow for the outfit in the winter. He suggested to another co-worker that her recently laid off husband give them a call.

That kind of ripoff happens more than I like to see personally.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,017,319 times
Same here. When my husband was laid off two years ago in the first wave of the company's downsizing , he had to fight with the labor dept. about whether he had the right to his earned vacation money and unemployment benefits. A year later, after the state had sent an "emergency team" to help the second wave of laid-off workers, he found out that some had been working under the table and receiving benefits at the same time.

Somehow being ethical and fair never works for us.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
OP, don't listen to that insistence to go west to ND. It was said to me, too, before I moved up here. If I wanted to live in ND, I would have gone to the ND forum and I suspect you are the same.

I was also told, by a few, that I would be hard pressed to find work when I got here.

Oddly enough, I found 4 jobs. And guess what? NONE of them are minimum wage like I was told is all I would find.

There ARE jobs here. Sure, there may not be a lot of them and sure, you may have some competition but that happens anywhere. What I do know is the unemployment rate is much lower here than it was where I came from.

I would never have found 4 jobs in Miami even IF they were minimum wage.

Oh and here's another thing: Unless you are in high demand, your skills are legendary, seems just about everyone wants you to actually BE HERE to get the job. So, that whole, "get a job before moving here" doesn't always work.

My advice, however, have a nice chunk of savings because it might take you a month or two to find work. But you'll find it.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, don't listen to that insistence to go west to ND. It was said to me, too, before I moved up here. If I wanted to live in ND, I would have gone to the ND forum and I suspect you are the same.

I was also told, by a few, that I would be hard pressed to find work when I got here.

Oddly enough, I found 4 jobs. And guess what? NONE of them are minimum wage like I was told is all I would find.

There ARE jobs here. Sure, there may not be a lot of them and sure, you may have some competition but that happens anywhere. What I do know is the unemployment rate is much lower here than it was where I came from.

I would never have found 4 jobs in Miami even IF they were minimum wage.

Oh and here's another thing: Unless you are in high demand, your skills are legendary, seems just about everyone wants you to actually BE HERE to get the job. So, that whole, "get a job before moving here" doesn't always work.

My advice, however, have a nice chunk of savings because it might take you a month or two to find work. But you'll find it.
Congratulations! I'm genuinely curious:

Did you pick one job, or do you have more than one job?

Do you have health insurance and hours that meet your needs, or do you need to be open to any hours needed?

How much above minimum does it/they pay (if you don't mind disclosing the amount)?

Does the job look promising as far as being around for a while?

Last edited by cebdark; 10-22-2011 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,918 times
I agree that there is work out there to be had. But not without strings, sometimes.

How about this all too common scenario: hired for a twenty hour/ week position with minimal benefits (read: none to speak of), and continually offered more hours, which of course the employee jumps at because they have a hard time finding part-time work that will accommodate the first part-time job's schedule. Essentially, the employer has a 40 hour employee with the added bonus of not having to pay their benefits, Sneaky, eh?

Then, the employee decides to play hard ball, and not be available beyond the 20 hrs., scrimping, lying that they have other commitments. Everyone involved is miserable. There's an obvious demand for a 40 hr. position, but nothing changes. Because things are tight for the largest employer.

Said with apologies to the Moderator because I know my post speaks of a controversial issue; posted anyhow because it's a real and common practice in Maine's hottest job market.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,918 times
Just saw this little blurb on the job market beginning its seasonal slide.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Congratulations! I'm genuinely curious:

Did you pick one job, or do you have more than one job?

Do you have health insurance and hours that meet your needs, or do you need to be open to any hours needed?

How much above minimum does it/they pay (if you don't mind disclosing the amount)?

Does the job look promising as far as being around for a while?
reloop: Thank you.

I will not answer many of these questions as I feel they are extremely personal but I will answer that I found more work than I can do. I have had to tell people, "No" simply because there are not enough hours in the day.

Yes, my work is going to "be around for awhile".

Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
reloop: Thank you.

I will not answer many of these questions as I feel they are extremely personal but I will answer that I found more work than I can do. I have had to tell people, "No" simply because there are not enough hours in the day.

Yes, my work is going to "be around for awhile".
did you open a brothel?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
did you open a brothel?
You should be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine