Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times

Advertisements

Favorite Things?

very little traffic

friendly folks

lobsters and clams

the coast the salt air, the boats

fishing in maine

fresh air-so fresh you can smell the different seasons...not just fresh cut grass, but drive on a back road in the summertime on a sunny day
same as fall, and spring,, and after a snowstorm,,,,

you can drive 5 minutes from anywhere in maine,,,and be out in the country

you see wildlife most everyday on secondary roads

ive never had to "look over my shoulder" or feel nervous about walking anywhere in maine
never had to worry about someone stealing something from my car- while in a store

beautiful scenery-maine has mountains, lakes, rivers and the coast

neighbors leave you alone

the smell of burning leaves

bonfires, and no one calls the fire dept on you

wild blackberries.strawberries/blueberries

cool summer nights

snowmobiling in winter

community fundraisers

A good hearty maine woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM

164 posts, read 240,902 times
Let's see...

Crisp fresh air

Organic farmers!! and the markets

Anywhere on the coast

Ocean Kayaking!

Acadia NP and Camden Hills...well, actually I like a lot of the state parks!!!

The people of Maine!

Having my breath taken away when driving...because there is beauty in this landscape everywhere!

The bird songs in the spring and summer; and the quiet peacefulness you feel sitting on your front porch--the occasional sound of your wind chime bringing you back to reality... ahhhh...I can feel it even now.

Yummy scallops and Haddock

Paolina's Way Pizza ( Camden)

Autumn Leaves

The night sky full of stars because there is very little light pollution.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM

399 posts, read 855,673 times
For all of the reasons stated in these posts when going over the bridge to Maine my blood pressure takes a nose dive and life is finally good.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM

30,582 posts, read 16,272,886 times
yup-guess the best thing about Maine is the people.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,937 times
Each of my visits leaves me with a peaceful, calm feeling. I always go home impressed by how incredibly nice the people are - no matter the walk of life, situation, specific location. A visit to Maine is a breath of fresh air.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 PM

53 posts, read 176,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
when going over the bridge to Maine my blood pressure takes a nose dive and life is finally good.
Wow, I have always had the same reaction going over the bridge into maine, its like a sigh of relief knowing I am home again...that I will soon be seeing family and friends. That I will hear the loons calling across Parker Pond while sitting on my friends deck and visiting. That I can go bass fishing with my cousin that lives right on Mousam lake. (Anyone here familiar with Mousam lake? My grandparents were offered one of the small islands on Mousam way back in the 40's for $200. They didnt have the money so they passed on it...but man what an investment that would have been for them.)

I usualy have the opposite reaction when flying back into Denver Intl., it is SO dry and barren here compared to back home in Maine, and my stress level is instantly raised knowing I will have to deal with the traffic, crime, and the absolutly horrible drivers here...heres a hint, when you bought your car it came with these little lights on each outside corner of the car...they are called turn signals...they are very easy to learn and use...please do so.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 AM

75 posts, read 197,094 times
Quote:
For all of the reasons stated in these posts when going over the bridge to Maine my blood pressure takes a nose dive and life is finally good.
Living in maine, I get the opposite reaction when heading south. Heck, when going to PA I generally Go through NH and VT into upper NY just to avoid MA, RI,CT, southern NY and NJ.

I wish some folks from down there would not bring their issues up here in the summer. I always see a rise in speed and agressive driving every summer. The off season is a pleasure up here in that regard.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,564,219 times
Wow, there was so much to love about Maine. Were it not for the weather I could spend the rest of my life there. The kayaking is great there. I love all the rivers -- particularly the Kennebec River, and the drive to Quebec from Skowhegan was lovely along its valley.

Most people have seen photos of Portland's lighthouse, but I doubt that many know there is a walk from there (toward the city) along the beach that leads through a delightful little park that was once a military watch point, to the spectacular old Goddard mansion, built 1811. The stone structure still stands and would make a great restoration project if the funds were available. As it stands it's perfect for some haunting movie set.

My favorite tiny town in Maine was Thomaston, a beautiful little waterfront village. I could live there the rest of my days -- if I were not a weather weenie.

8)

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM

399 posts, read 855,673 times
Although many people feel deterred by the winters there are so many things to do. My neighbors talk about snowmobiling up to Moosehead Lake which is about 40 minutes away. They want us to join them. I don't think I could make it that far but I am looking forward to going out on the snowmobile after a fresh snowfall. It must be so quiet and beautiful. I am picturing a full moon, fresh snow, and somewhat desolate conditions. That will certainly make the hot chocolate taste good!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 AM

827 posts, read 1,674,474 times
Quote:
Although many people feel deterred by the winters there are so many things to do. My neighbors talk about snowmobiling up to Moosehead Lake which is about 40 minutes away. They want us to join them. I don't think I could make it that far but I am looking forward to going out on the snowmobile after a fresh snowfall. It must be so quiet and beautiful. I am picturing a full moon, fresh snow, and somewhat desolate conditions. That will certainly make the hot chocolate taste good!
One of the things I loved about up North and snow at night. I noticed it was SOOO quiet [even on busy Rt 1 in Portsmouth] Just sit there after a small snow storm and not many sounds. Sooooo peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine