Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,719 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have the opportunity to move my family to take a job in Augusta. I'm open to the idea of living 30+ minutes away. We'd be initially renting, and have three kids coming with us - but they are older teens and young adults.

They're girls, and would love to have some sort of fun (outdoor concerts, entertainment, shopping, etc.) I personally wouldn't mind living a bit out in the "boonies", but am open.

The only other real requirement would be the ability to get nice internet (high speed) as I do some work remotely.

Any suggestions on a good place to live? Our kids are all done with high school, but would like to finish college in Maine.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
many nice towns around augusta, manchester, monmouth, readfield, hallowell, gardiner, winthrop, wayne

all within a half hr of augusta

come on up and take a look to see what fits you- many lakes around augusta, for boating, swimming, ect.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks so much! The more I think about it, I know our girls would love the option of having some sort of social life - meeting boys, etc.

If it matters, our girls are a bit "unique" - they like to dress in vintage clothing, and really don't like the "dry" or "slow" lifestyle in rural Utah. Is Augusta about the best we can do within 30-40 miles, and be able to give them access to social stuff and entertainment for them? If the best option would be Portland for that sort of stuff, maybe some suggestions on towns between Augusta and Portland?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsfan View Post
Thanks so much! The more I think about it, I know our girls would love the option of having some sort of social life - meeting boys, etc.

If it matters, our girls are a bit "unique" - they like to dress in vintage clothing, and really don't like the "dry" or "slow" lifestyle in rural Utah. Is Augusta about the best we can do within 30-40 miles, and be able to give them access to social stuff and entertainment for them? If the best option would be Portland for that sort of stuff, maybe some suggestions on towns between Augusta and Portland?

Thanks!
Augusta is the capitol of maine , not as large as portland, but has most of the amenities
my son went up thru the augusta public school system- he played sports, was on the math team, and the system prepped him well for college, he is now in his second yr in college (in the pharmacy program) and got a 3.97 gpa his first year-

augusta has many malls, and I believe it has some teen places for dances ect.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Again, thanks so much for the feedback! I've read quite a bit on this board to see what people think of Augusta - seems like some like to say it's not as nice as some other areas, but I'll be working in Augusta. I don't mind commuting a bit, but the more I think about it, I think I'd prefer to be south or southwest of Augusta, if not right in it, as our daughter may need to go to Portland a couple of times a week. I didn't see a lot of real favorable things about Lewiston/Auburn, but would love some other ideas on areas south or southeast of Augusta, if anyone would mind helping me out.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsfan View Post
Again, thanks so much for the feedback! I've read quite a bit on this board to see what people think of Augusta - seems like some like to say it's not as nice as some other areas, but I'll be working in Augusta. I don't mind commuting a bit, but the more I think about it, I think I'd prefer to be south or southwest of Augusta, if not right in it, as our daughter may need to go to Portland a couple of times a week. I didn't see a lot of real favorable things about Lewiston/Auburn, but would love some other ideas on areas south or southeast of Augusta, if anyone would mind helping me out.

Thanks!
many many nice towns south/southeast

gardiner, west gardiner, richmond, litchfield, monmouth, bowdoin, bowdoinham

topsham/brunswick area is also nice, halfway to portland

auburn is close to halfway to portland, auburn has some very nice neighborhoods, (close to the auburn 95 exit)

Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,659 times
I would suggest Waterville! It's a college town, but still family oriented.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM

26 posts, read 41,315 times
Brunswick area would be the best, the housing cost is low right now due to the base closing. That puts you in the middle of Augusta and Portland

Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
My choice would be Bath/Brunswick area, it's closer to Portland and is close to the coast too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine