Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times

Advertisements

I agree that would definitely qualify as "crazy"!

It's certainly an odd mix this year of the teams....and I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Holliday, he's fun to watch!.....and you're right about the getting hot at the right time, that will be what makes the difference, especially in this game--the Phillies and Rockies just seem to be evenly matched, and I can't even begin to predict an outcome. And I don't watch either team much during the season enough to make an "educated" guess! lol....I'm pulling for the Rockies though---much to the disappointment of my friends from Philly!! He's a border agent who's working today--can't even have the headphones on!! lol....

Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM

YES!!!!!

can you say "shut-out"??

Beckett....

Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,931,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

It's certainly an odd mix this year of the teams....and I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Holliday, he's fun to watch!.....and you're right about the getting hot at the right time, that will be what makes the difference, especially in this game--the Phillies and Rockies just seem to be evenly matched, and I can't even begin to predict an outcome. And I don't watch either team much during the season enough to make an "educated" guess! lol....I'm pulling for the Rockies though---much to the disappointment of my friends from Philly!! He's a border agent who's working today--can't even have the headphones on!! lol....
I really hope they don't get some really crazy idea like letting Lowell go so they can try to get A-Rod. I have to admit that there are some individual players on MFY I like as players--or at least I could like them if they weren't wearing THAT uniform. A-Rod's not one of them. I don't totally despise him or anything, but he just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Some of what a team gains by having his talent is lost because they have to live with his attitude. Much better to have a player like Lowell, who's not too shabby a player in his own right, and is the consumate professional in attitude.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Okay, here's another post I made on the sports forum. The thread has the title "Red Sox Nation." It asks whether you think the Sox will or won't win the WS, and your reasons either way.

There seems to be a lot of parity between the top teams this season. Every team in the playoffs has some chance to be world champions, and more than just a couple have a pretty decent chance. No team this year stands out as far and away the best, and every top team is flawed in some way.

It would be a long post if I analyzed every team, but since this thread deals with the Red Sox, I'd say their most obvious weakness is the bottom of the batting order. They've had way too many rallies dying there all season. Either that or having guys low in the order lead off the inning, so that by the time the top of the order gets up, there are already two outs. Another question mark is the pitching. Yes, I know that statistically the Sox probably have the best staff of any team this year, but several individuals on their staff are kind of inconsistent. It is true that their pitching is deep, and collectively they may make up for momentary individual downturns. If one guy doesn't have it on a given night, they're pretty well set up to keep going to the well until they find a pitcher who's really on, before the game gets out of hand. Still, I wonder how they'll hold up against the best competition. On the other hand, there is that thing about parity at the top, and the fact that the best competition this year isn't as good as some other years. The playoffs look like a real crap shoot this year.

Something to consider when analyzing the playoffs: There's a difference between which team looks good on paper and what happens on the field. What will happen on the field remains to be seen. As for which team looks the strongest overall on paper, well, in order not to jinx their chances, this Bostonian won't say which team he thinks that is. That un-named team still has to get it done on the field, though. [quote, Ogre]

I have to be really careful about saying anything that might cause a jinx. After all, enough other people are doing that already. I've already said something on here about how Dennise Eckersly, in a post-game show over the weekend, said he thought the Sox had the best team going into the playoffs. Since then, I've read the analysis on some of the sports-related websites. I've found only three writers who have said straight out which team they're picking for the whole kit and caboodle. Most of those who hint around are hinting the Sox (yikes!). Of the three who've said straight out, one picked MFY and the other two both went with the Sox.

I've also been able to dig up only one website with betting lines that go beyond the current playoff series (most I've found give the odds only for the first game of each series), and have the odds against each of the eight teams for winning the WS. The order, from least likely to win it all, to most likely, goes: Rockies, Phillies, Indians, D'Backs, Angels, Cubs, MFY, and, um, the team they have as most likely to be world champions would, um, be the, um, Sox.

We're in big trouble! Jinxed from all quarters! Aaaaaargh!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
YES!!!!!

can you say "shut-out"??

Beckett....
Way to save that bullpen! And Molly, in an earlier post you heaped some praise on that Ellsbury kid. Did you see that catch he made tonight? Mighty fine, mighty fine! Cocopuff wasn't too shabby in the field either!

Now, the reality check: That's one. They need ten more. And it's only going to get more difficult. Fun for the moment, though.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'd like to see the Rockies go far just to watch some of their players. Get a chance to see some really good players you don't see that often, since they're team hasn't been in contention in years. The Rockies are a nice story, too.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 PM

Keep the excitement contained. I hate to quote a past player for MFY, though Yogi hasn't actually played for them for long enough that I guess some of the MFY stink has worn off, and he did know what he was talking about when he said "It ain't over till it's over." Good to keep that in mind, with this Indians-MFY series. That said, Travis Hafner is my hero of the moment. Way to go, Tribe.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 AM

I know....I'm trying.....I'll just say there are decorative Red Sox flags on many houses in town.... ........on Monday I saw quite a few in New Brunswick too......and 3 to 1 last night and up 2!

MFY are playing perfectly, hope it continues

Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,883,307 times
Dontcha just love "Manny being Manny"?

And ya, gotta love how the MFY's are playing...hope it continues

Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,691 times
Not every State has a professional Baseball team...Who should we rout for?....If you're thinking the Yankees, you couldn't be further from away from correct!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine