Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,324 times

Advertisements

With all the commotion about big box stores and sprawl overtaking once beautiful cities and towns, why in the world cant many other towns enact strict zoning like Freeport? If they can do it, others should be able to also. That way, if a chain wants to come in, they have to abide by size and architecture regulations.

for those that don’t know the area, the McDonalds and other places like friendly’s are actually pleasant looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 PM

106 posts, read 454,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
With all the commotion about big box stores and sprawl overtaking once beautiful cities and towns, why in the world cant many other towns enact strict zoning like Freeport? If they can do it, others should be able to also. That way, if a chain wants to come in, they have to abide by size and architecture regulations.

for those that don’t know the area, the McDonalds and other places like friendly’s are actually pleasant looking.
I completely agree...maybe not to the extent of Freeport. I do believe that towns should take a much stricter stance on the image that the stores bring to their towns. I think people would find it to be a much better compromise when it comes to allowing something that some people in town still dislike. Even though I know a lot of the big box stores look similar, I have seen different designs that conveyed that particular regions architecture more closely.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I completely agree!! More towns need to be on the ball with this....there's no need of having the nasty facades--or no facade at all!!.....the chains have the money to do it with class and attention to detail, and if they can't, they don't get the location.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I think Freeport is a very strange town. The town retail built. There is some sprawl growing south along US 1 and the McD's is not only in an old house but they are not allowed to have speakers for their drive-thru.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have not been to Freeport, so I do not know what they do.

I like how Bangor does it though. One commercial district with two freeway offramps. The mall is there, as are all the big franchise stores. It is separate from the older downtown area of the city.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think Freeport is a very strange town. The town retail built. There is some sprawl growing south along US 1 and the McD's is not only in an old house but they are not allowed to have speakers for their drive-thru.
When I take my dog walking down the sidewalks it seems almost like its the LLBean version of DisneyWorld. The streets all look quaint but yet fake....the old buildings are housing restaurants and shops so they are essentially facades. I do think Freeport could learn a lot from other towns in Maine though...ie, Camden and even Rockland. If you walk through here as much as I do you notice how the landscape isnt that well kept, the empty store fronts, faded signage, etc. The town could use a small facelift.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:16 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I spent three and a half years working at that McD's and every summer the tourists would not understand how there is no audio. They would sit there running their engines saying "Hello....Hello?" then often times followed by swearing. But I did like the fact it was a nice old house, the Gore House. It made it feel less like a McDonalds. Its been a year since I left there and I am a much happier person.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
I spent three and a half years working at that McD's and every summer the tour.................. Its been a year since I left there and I am a much happier person.
But you're still an 'unhappycamper'?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i have a bit different take on this,,lets take aroostook or washington county, much less manufacturing or higher paying jobs ,,they say young kids "have to move away" to get a decent job.. and maine is often described as an unfriendly business state and a very high welfare state,,
my point??
ive seen many businesses and development that CAN come to many towns,,yet the local planning board rejects it,,,and yes,,i agree with the big box stores,,,belfast and damariscotta voted no more than 35000 squ ft,,for a store,,,keeps them out.
however, ive seen the same mentality against the big box stores,,applied to smaller businesses with well-paying jobs.
entrepenuers, businesses and manufacturing, technology, and most any job creation im all for,,if it provides decent paying jobs to get more folks off welfare,,and can offer health/dental benefits,,then im all for it,,(and raises the standard of living of mainers or offers most of us "choices" that we otherwise dont have)
i guess im a pure capitalist,, im for folks working , to make a decent living and being able to buy more goods and services in thier community,,and perhaps i have a bit of an attitude,,because ive listened to many developments get quashed by planning boards,,mostly by some retired older person,,,who is "set" for life and it doesnt matter to them,,even tho 74% of the high school grads are moving out of town to get a job,,
or the select-person is of the tree-hugging sect,,,totally adverse to any development anywhere!!

im all for conformity within a community,,but there is a balance..

Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Default What Zoning Laws?

I was in Blue Hill several months ago researching the residential home market and was shocked to be told at one of the RE offices there that Blue Hill doesn't have much in the way of zoning laws per se.

I asked the RE office person that if I bought an expensive (by local standards) house next to any empty lot, whether there were zoning laws to prevent someone from putting in a mobile home next door. She told me "no, there aren't any zoning laws against that", because they (town of Blue Hill) were so desperate for real estate activity that they there was little if anything they wouldn't allow.

Needless to say, I decided to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine