Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times

Advertisements

Farmer, in terms of best soil, the area between Belfast and Waterville is among the best in the state outside Aroostook County. Roughly (very roughly) the area from Belfast to Union to Unity encompasses some first-class farmland. The Maine Geological Survey in Augusta and the UMaine Extension Service have soil maps that would help you fine tune the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
The more family farms we can get in Maine, the more comfortable I would feel. The way oil supplies look right now, local food may be more important than anyone suspects in a (very) few years.
I hope so. It's what I do for a living. Our motto is Local Seasonal Fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
we have a big organic farm here in Turner called Nezinscot Farm. They were a dairy farm selling to companies, then turned organic. I haven't shopped there but have been there several times, as used to buy hay there. They raise dairy cows, goats, turkeys, eggs, produce, ect. They have a store on the farm and it seems to be busy every time I go by.
Gloria Varney is one of the two people who inspire me most (the other being Eliot Coleman). I spent three days at Nezinscot Farm. Gloria went out of her way to help me improve my bread making skills at 4:45 a.m. We ate foods they raise on the farm the whole time we were there. It was excellent. I think the most fun I had all weekend was bottle feeding the calves. It's hard to beat that cute factor.

Nezinscot Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I go to the farmer's markets sometimes, but I also know some people who run veggie stands at their homes, so I do that most of the time . This is the first summer I haven't been to the farmer's market often...I think it just falls on a day when I'm really busy!
Calais and Perry are on weekdays. It's great for the people who work in town or don't work but leaves out everyone else. I'll be setting up in Woodland on Saturdays next year.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,099 times
Food & Farms - Buy - CSA Farms

This is a link i found when looking for what CSA farms were. See, I do my own looking I don't rely on you guys for EVERYTHING. LOL !
It's a link to many CSA farms. Probably put on here a 1000 times prior to my big 'discovery'. LOL !

Wow, forest the fiddleheads sound GOOD !! Now that would be a dish to serve: fiddlehead lasagna.
Most of my guests are more familiar with icky ol storebought spinach. That would be a cool change

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
Cool Farmer

Ha did u find any farms. We to are looking in maine Aroostoock Sherman, or Patten we want 200/500 Acres land with small amount of woods no buildings want to start this spring 2008 Ians Dairy good luck to you

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,752 times
Mainewriter, thanks for the info and link on the Nezinscot farm.
Pretty impressive operation and familY!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Those fiddleheads are swamp plants here. I never knew you could eat them. What do you do with them, and which parts do you eat?

el, because there are many varieties of ferns ......and fiddleheads are baby ferns,,,we all have to make sure we are picking the right ones,,, the most popular fiddlehead we all know is deep green in color,, and usually only grow near rivers/streams, or constant wetlands.. there is a baby fern out there thats yellowish with black spots, and some others, that we dont consume.
i use to pick plastic garbage bags full of them along the kennebec river as a young lad, and sell them to local stores, its fun to pick them for about ten minutes, then its work,,lol (you are bent over picking away, and if you arent use to being bent over,,you will feel it the next day,,)

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM

333 posts, read 874,004 times
The 2 big farms on route 2 on the Newport-Palmyra line are for sale and there are a couple on Route 100 between Pittsfield and Burnham,Clinton.(nice river frontage on the Sebasticook) I don't think some of them are listed because they have for sale signs but not broker signs. and there are some in Corina and St. Albans that are listed

Last edited by ribbets; 01-30-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: mis spelled

Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbets View Post
The 2 big farms on route 2 on the Newport-Palmyra line are for sale and there are a couple on Route 100 between Pittsfield and Burnham,Clinton.(nice river frontage on the Sebasticook) I don't think some of them are listed because they have for sale signs but not broker signs. and there are some in Corina and St. Albans that are listed
Thanks for the post ribbts. Do you have any of the specifics on these properties. Feel free to DM me if you do.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ians Dairy View Post
Ha did u find any farms. We to are looking in maine Aroostoock Sherman, or Patten we want 200/500 Acres land with small amount of woods no buildings want to start this spring 2008 Ians Dairy good luck to you
check out a town east of sherman called dyer brook, i saw a farm listed with 218 acres, i believe it was listed for under 375k

Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfarmer View Post
Hello all,
Long story short goes like this . We arw a family of 6 in central Illinois. We are interested in moving our farm to Maine. We raise pastured poultry,milk goats,grassfed beef, grassfed pork and eggs. We started this venture 5 years ago (before the big eat local movement) It has been very successful.
Why do we want to move you ask? We have lived our entire life in Illinois and we would like a change. We love winters and hate hot summers. We have several successful businesses and we are going to cash out and move on.
We are a homeschooling family and we sell raw milk. What does that have in common? We like Maines position on both of those issues. We have traveled many states and we love the New England area. We are very laid back and like the slower and back to the land lifestyle.
My questions are as follows; What areas would you look into? We direct market our products from the farm and at farmers markets. What are the better agriculture area in Maine? We are looking for 100-250 acres, with grassland for grazing and some wooded areas and possible some kind of water feature. It would be nice to find an old farm with a barn or 2 to get started. An old farmhouse would be fine. We will be paying cash up to $325k
Ask any questions you have and would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Todd
James Family Farm
Sherman,il
todd, i just did a quick search and found over 25 properties(mostly farms) with at least 100 acres,,
do a search on realtor.com

good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine