Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times

Advertisements

Doesn't look too promising. Is that your peeve? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default Bangor - a lane for everything but don't tell anyone

Bangor needs to repaint the white lines on the road that indicate turn or go straight lanes.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Doesn't look too promising. Is that your peeve? LOL
I guess it is.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 PM

346 posts, read 786,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Several what?

My pet peeve is these folks who want to control the lives of everyone else. Make up laws that you can't talk on cell phones next you can't drink soda or even water while driving, next no radios,CB's, Ham, etc allowed in the vehicle. Too many people [yes even old farts] try to run everyone else's lives by making up some rediculous laws.

As long as what someone does is not hurting you then ignore it. I'm sure someone in this world could write a few pet peeves about what YOU do.

I suppose you'll want laws made up on WHAT and how much you can eat how much you can belch out. How much and what you can drink. How much air you can inhale or exhale, certain clothes you can or cannot wear. How long or, how short you can keep your hair. How long or short facial hair is. What color you must color your hair to comply with YOUR pet peeve
First of all, I'm from Jersey but get up to my place in Maine about once a month or so.

When it comes to the point that every car driving under the speed limit in the left or center lane is on the cell phone, there's a problem. Countless people failing to maintain their own lane, .. yes there is a problem.

Here's a PSA regarding cell phones / texting while driving.

When someone you know dies because someone else was texting LOL, perhaps you'll understand.

In other news, it is now prohibited to smoke in public parks in New York City.

YouTube - ‪Your Final Text Message- Promoted by AT&T with CC‬‏

Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,470 times
I have several pet peeves. People who leave grocery carts in parking lots, especially those who push their cart up against my car. Another grocery store one-people who decide they don't want an item and just leave it wherever they are, no matter what the item is (meat, frozen foods, etc. I've seen a large bag of avocados in the frozen foods before. About 30 dollars worth, completely ruined), and grazers who eat their way through the store only to stash wrappers and packages as they shop. Smokers who throw their butts wherever they are, and either don't know or don't care that it is littering. And I won't even get into the nasty few who dump car ashtrays in a parking lot, can you say eww? And another big collective eww to those who don't wash their hands after the bathroom. Blech, the very thought makes me throw up in my mouth a little, nasty.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times
Pet peeve - My pet chihuahua sitting in my lap licking her butt!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
I have several pet peeves. People who leave grocery carts in parking lots, especially those who push their cart up against my car. Another grocery store one-people who decide they don't want an item and just leave it wherever they are, no matter what the item is (meat, frozen foods, etc. I've seen a large bag of avocados in the frozen foods before. About 30 dollars worth, completely ruined), and grazers who eat their way through the store only to stash wrappers and packages as they shop. Smokers who throw their butts wherever they are, and either don't know or don't care that it is littering. And I won't even get into the nasty few who dump car ashtrays in a parking lot, can you say eww? And another big collective eww to those who don't wash their hands after the bathroom. Blech, the very thought makes me throw up in my mouth a little, nasty.
The grocery carts in a parking lot is a good one, ive had many dings in my car because of carts
I use to work in supermarkets for years, and unrully kids, (parents allowing the kids to do anything) was a pet peeve, I've seen kids running in aisles with their arms out knocking groceries off the shelves and laughing,,,the first time i saw that it was comical (just the shock value and i didnt have to clean it up) but having seen many kids do it, with the mother right nearby, not saying a word, wasnt comical anymore- also Ive seen kids take apples and oranges from their mothers carts and start chucking them across the aisles, one man got hit by an orange and walked over 3 aisles to see a 6-7 yr old boy ready to throw an apple- he ripped into the mother standing nearby, and she was appalled he had the "nerve" to say anything to her.

Ive seen a mother come down thru the meatcase with three kids, and each kid was poking holes with their fingers in the wrapped burger, - the mother not saying a word. I ran over and say, hey kids, please stop that, Ive got to throw that out now- the mother scowled at me.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Yeh, the cigarette butts, the filtered ones anyway...especially when there are butt buckets a few feet away- that's just plain ignorant. I stopped throwing mine on the ground when I was in the Army, spend enough time on 'police call' picking up butts and it gets to you. Those filters don't disintegrate like non-filtered butts do, they last a long time.

Shopping carts, especially when there's a 'cart corral' handy.

Kids in grocery stores- I was at a small specialty store, usually frequented by people who are a bit on the 'hoity-toity' side. Kid was screaming, raising a ruckus, he was...maybe 3 or 4 years old and the mother was trying to 'reason' with him. Sometimes the only reasoning that a child of that age understands is having his buns warmed...I don't know whether she was more appalled that I suggested such a thing...or that I suggested that her parenting skills were somewhat less than adequate.

Babies/young children wailing and raising a ruckus in a restaurant- some people hire sitters so that they can go out and enjoy a meal in peace and quiet. If the kid can't behave, take him outside, it isn't right to subject the other diners to that kind of disturbance.

Driving under the speed limit...the 'limit' is the upper end of allowable speeds, no one says you 'have' to go that fast (except minimum speeds on interstates). I find myself driving slower these days (especially on rough roads or when the weather is poor) but I try to leave some room for people to go by if they're stacking up behind me.

Another driving one- people who keep their high-beams on ALL the time, people with those super bright headlights, people who don't get their headlights adjusted correctly (especially with the previous) so that even their low beams are blinding, people who install the super bright driving lights that are as blinding as high-beams and that are specifically labeled as 'show' or 'off-road' use only. I've lost track of the number of times that I've been completely blinded by an oncoming vehicle and came close to either hitting them or driving into a ditch. Sometimes these numbskulls come up behind, and even with the mirror on the 'night' setting their lights are so bright I can't see ahead. And the cops are getting just about as bad, with white lights and flashing blue lights that are so bright that I can't see anything else- there have been a couple of times that I have almost driven right into them.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Hmmm...pet peeves...some great ones so far.

Grocery store brats - biggy It's totally rude to not remove a tempering toddler from the situation that's causing the 'drama.' My kids knew better than to pitch a fit publically or they'd be removed from the situation pronto, and I NEVER failed to remove them. It didn't take long to get the message. That's basic politeness 101. No one should be tortured by a colicy baby or a cranky toddler.

Store clerks who fail to say 'Thank you.' Mind you, I don't want the canned "Thank you for shopping at _________." That sounds entirely to forced. Just a simple smile and "Thanks - have a nice day." (preferably while looking me in the eye) will do. Whenever I get stuck with a cashier I've come to term as "The Grunter," I never fail to say "You're welcome!" really loud.

Ignoramus in even the rudimentary rules of etiquette who prattle endlessly on their cell phones or text while shopping. Even a surgeon on call is not important enough to blab endlessly in a public place IMHO. Leave the store and check the missed call. It's not that difficult - honest.

My kid called me once while I was shopping. I asked her: "Are you bleeding?" "No." "Is your brother bleeding?" "No." "Is the house on fire?" "Um...No." "What then?"

"When are you gonna be home?"

"When I get there. Don't call unless someone is bleeding and/or the house is on fire."

I'll never win the "World's Coolest Mother" award. I usually knock off my chances of getting that by the 2nd week of January. I'm such a drag.

Ah yes, one more thing. Arguing over things that essentially meaningless and trivial doesn't do much for me either.

Last edited by cebdark; 05-24-2011 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: typo/added

Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Sometimes while driving to, say, South Carolina to visit family I'll leave my turn signal on for 20-30 miles just to pi$$ people off. Sometimes I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine