Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times

Advertisements

hey, I don't want excessive laws either, but talking/texting while driving IS dangerous......hey I've also seen women putting on their make up and men reading the newspaper!
Oh, boxcar it's peeves that I can have several of........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
pet peeves, someone pulling out in front of you, then going 20 mph...

traditionally, young men were and probly still are higher risk drivers than young woman (reflected in insurance rates) however, a trend ive seen in the past 5 yrs is young woman , tailgating, and passing where they shouldnt (half way up a hill) and of course, texting.

another pet peeve, is simple manners and respect, with employees at stores, (but this stems from store owners) from simple hygeine, to just plain rudeness.
and....if i go into a retail place and rap music is blaring,,,very very annoying

and another,,,,when there is roadwork, or an accident, on the highway,,,two lanes go into one...and its backed up.... when the idiots try to pull up front and cut in, it stops the flow,,,one steady flow in one lane will be ten times faster than the cut ins... (as a young man,,i use to be one of the cut-ins, but have learned thru time)

these may be minor pet peeves, but on the flip-side, I travel alot around the state and most folks from all areas are decent to "strangers" if you break down, many will stop to help or offer to call a wrecker

cell phones in vehicles in case of an emergency are a godsend,(if you break-down)
a few times in the past two yrs, Ive seen vehicles fly by at well over a 100 mph (on 95) and swerving,,i called in to the state police, and two of the vehicles I did see pulled over by the police, probably saving someone's life.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Don't worry namder1 the pot smoking, anti-everything, isolationist,Ron Paul supporters probably did not understand your post. The rest of us NORMAL people understood completely. BTW Box car willy not every law is bad and they're not all directed at you. Crawl back under your rock.
Sorry, I am not a drug user, NOR am I anti everything, maybe a bit isolationist, and DEFINATLY NOT a Ron Paul supporter. OH and while every law is not directed at me at this time sooner or later they will be. And I've never been under a rock [tho I've been known to stand on top of a few in my life]

I'm a person who will speak his mind and say what I wanna say whether some folks like it or not. My God given right to do so!!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM

348 posts, read 850,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Several what?

My pet peeve is these folks who want to control the lives of everyone else. Make up laws that you can't talk on cell phones next you can't drink soda or even water while driving, next no radios,CB's, Ham, etc allowed in the vehicle. Too many people [yes even old farts] try to run everyone else's lives by making up some rediculous laws.

As long as what someone does is not hurting you then ignore it. I'm sure someone in this world could write a few pet peeves about what YOU do.

I suppose you'll want laws made up on WHAT and how much you can eat how much you can belch out. How much and what you can drink. How much air you can inhale or exhale, certain clothes you can or cannot wear. How long or, how short you can keep your hair. How long or short facial hair is. What color you must color your hair to comply with YOUR pet peeve
Several pet peeves ..... (geeesh)

The thing is, with cell phones being used in cars by drivers who have the freakn'g thing against one side of their head, it becomes a public safety issue. Do drunk driving laws offend you too? And let's not mandate parents/adults from buckling in the little one when on the road. Yeah, that's another stupid infringement on individual rights, blah blah blah.

To the OP, yeah, I have plent of pet peeves, too.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Sorry boxcar.....it ain't a God given right.....it's more of an American thing.....

Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
People who pronounce ask - as ax

Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
Several pet peeves ..... (geeesh)

The thing is, with cell phones being used in cars by drivers who have the freakn'g thing against one side of their head, it becomes a public safety issue. Do drunk driving laws offend you too? And let's not mandate parents/adults from buckling in the little one when on the road. Yeah, that's another stupid infringement on individual rights, blah blah blah.

To the OP, yeah, I have plent of pet peeves, too.
Actually, yes. Different people are affected differently by alcohol. I know one guy who is falling down drunk after one beer, but his BAC is below the limit. I know another who could have a BAC of twice the [legal] limit but if you saw him you would swear he was stone cold sober.

Arbitrary BAC limits do not necessarily reflect actual impairment.

However, I believe that someone who has an 'accident' causing property damage and is obviously impaired should be held *personally* responsible for financial reparations, and someone who causes injury (to anyone but himself) should face serious jail time (not a slap on the wrist fine and a temporarily suspended license).

Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Don't worry namder1 the pot smoking, anti-everything, isolationist,Ron Paul supporters probably did not understand your post. The rest of us NORMAL people . . . .
Mark

my

words:

Within a very few years--after this country finishes its decades long drive into a ditch--it will be men like Ron Paul who will show us the way out.

How the American establishment wants us to view Ron Paul today, reminds me of how the English in the 1930s thought Winston Churchill was a misguided anachronism.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Sorry boxcar.....it ain't a God given right.....it's more of an American thing.....
So I gather you feel only Americans have the right to say what they want? Everyone else in the world must remain silent then? I wonder how they would feel if asked.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 PM

142 posts, read 346,150 times
Pet peeve cell phones,texting and people who drive below the speed limit even while passing 50 mile an hour sign. If your driving with your mouth open it is time to get off the road. You know who you are. Followed someone up 302 doing 35 in a 50, so frustrating...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine