Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My garden is producing the most amazing crop...

...of #&%@#* dandelions. To look at it, you'd think I planted them intentionally.

Ha! Right there with ya. I'm looking up dandelion green recipes - even if they do make me gag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My garden is producing the most amazing crop...

...of #&%@#* dandelions. To look at it, you'd think I planted them intentionally.
... so, make wine! It's on my list for this week.

(and for those who think dandelion wine is terrible, I think the secret is to use ONLY the yellow parts of the flower. I clipped off the green bit at the bottom of the blossoms when I made my first trial batch last year and there was not a hint of bitterness that I kept hearing about.)

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Ha! Right there with ya. I'm looking up dandelion green recipes - even if they do make me gag.
I think they get a little strong even for dandelion lovers once the flowers start. I was always told YOUNG leaves... and then bring to a boil, drain that water and add more to finish cooking.

(wondering if I should pick some for market Saturday, as the lettuce is not ready yet...)

Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM

264 posts, read 759,835 times
I have PLENTY all over my yard your free to pick if you want them! lol

Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
On April 19, 1775, the Redcoats were being driven back to Boston by thousands of angry Colonials. Some Redcoats of The King's Grenadiers were so exhausted and harried that they threw their muskets into a pond and surrendered to an old widow named Mother Batherick who was picking dandelions beside the road.

She said, "If you ever live to get back, you tell King George that an old woman took six of his grenadiers prisoner." A London newspaper wrote: "If one old Yankee woman can take six grenadiers prisoner, how many soldiers will it require to conquer America?"

Our forefathers wrote it all down for us. We would do well to take due notice thereof and govern ourselves accordingly.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
On April 19, 1775, the Redcoats were being driven back to Boston by thousands of angry Colonials. Some Redcoats of The King's Grenadiers were so exhausted and harried that they threw their muskets into a pond and surrendered to an old widow named Mother Batherick who was picking dandelions beside the road.

She said, "If you ever live to get back, you tell King George that an old woman took six of his grenadiers prisoner." A London newspaper wrote: "If one old Yankee woman can take six grenadiers prisoner, how many soldiers will it require to conquer America?"

Our forefathers wrote it all down for us. We would do well to take due notice thereof and govern ourselves accordingly.
And this exactly why we're having a wet spring in 2011!!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
This whole page is about dandelions. They thrive in wet weather.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,571,123 times
Lobsters....yummmmm...love them. I wonder what the market rate is right now....

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,571,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
I have PLENTY all over my yard your free to pick if you want them! lol

I remember my sons when they were little. They would love to pick me
dandelions and put them in a cup!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This whole page is about dandelions. They thrive in wet weather.
Yes and history lesson from the Revolutionary war briefly mentioning a woman picking dandelion greens in 1775 while Redcoat grenadiers surrender to her is SO timely, relevant, and uplifting. Do you have one that has rhubarb or skunk cabbage as the lead in?? because I'm sure it would be just as interesting and pertinent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine