Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times

Advertisements

Just how can Mainers stand it? Everyone speaks English, there are no rats or roaches, no one gets pistol whipped or stabbed on the corner. When you hear a siren you all run to see what's going on. And you all can sleep with a window open! Some even answer the door without checking to see who's there first! Gawd I'm homesick! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
I love that here in Cincinnati... my daughter's car can get broken into right in our driveway..or when I was at the Universuty of Cincinnati, a pizza guy can be called to our house by some unknown stranger only to be robbed on the unlit font porch!

Gosh, it must be awful to not have those things in Maine. Don't know if I could live with out them!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I love that here in Cincinnati... my daughter's car can get broken into right in our driveway..or when I was at the Universuty of Cincinnati, a pizza guy can be called to our house by some unknown stranger only to be robbed on the unlit font porch!

Gosh, it must be awful to not have those things in Maine. Don't know if I could live with out them!
what's a pizza delivery guy?

lol...sorry....we do have some of those here....Calais has 2 places that deliver, with that and our 2 stoplights it's almost too urban. One of the stoplights goes to blinking at 6 pm, the other at 11--and that's because it's near McDonald's and they stay open late. Traffic here is crazy--actually no I can't say that now! Because it really is ()--border crossings have been backed up for a mile to a mile and a half .

And a new complaint from me---I picked my youngest (9 at the end of the month) up at the city outdoor pool the other day. Drove in and the lifeguard yelled to my son, called him by name (!!), and said "your Mom's here!". Geez....didn't he think I could do all that for myself?!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
The smell of your own bread baking on a cold winter day, tomatos warm from the sun, right there in your backyard, taking the time to hand stitch a quilt, or crochet an afghan, during cold winter evenings, "slow food" (as opposed to fast food) taking a trip "into town" (meaning the closest big store area) to "stock up" on non perishables, grass under your bare feet, a trip to the farm for apples, berries, beans, produce. lazy summer days that turn into bonfire nights, the fellowship of neighbors and relatives.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 AM

61 posts, read 245,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
Great thread!

I just love it how in Atlanta you're constantly getting cut off on the roads and people give you ugly looks if you get in their way for just a second, and how we have such an amazing drought...I think states that have enough water and no pollution and nice people are disgusting! To think that states like Maine exist...that's horrible.

I think it's great to watch the 10o'clock news and hear about all the double and triple murders in nearby neighborhoods...it really encourages me to get to know my neighbors. Atlanta's fantastic!
Exactly why I want to leave here and move to Maine!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:28 PM

46 posts, read 139,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcabber View Post
Exactly why I want to leave here and move to Maine!!!
No no! These are reasons to stay in Atlanta! (So what part of Maine do you want to move to?)

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 AM

61 posts, read 245,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
No no! These are reasons to stay in Atlanta! (So what part of Maine do you want to move to?)
Are there reasons??? Aside from familiarity...I cant think of any I am looking at the southern and middle coast. Just sounds so appealing on this hazy 98 degree day!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM

46 posts, read 139,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcabber View Post
Are there reasons??? Aside from familiarity...I cant think of any I am looking at the southern and middle coast. Just sounds so appealing on this hazy 98 degree day!
Yeah, southern Maine. I can take a little heat, but today in Atlanta it's supposed to be almost 100! Last time I checked, this wasn't, like, the desert or something. Not cool. I need to move!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 AM

406 posts, read 1,655,194 times
Thank goodness Molly started this thread...I have a big ol' gripe about Maine!

What's up with all the stars in the sky??? It's scares me! First time I looked up at night here I thought I'd be abducted. How dare it be so dark and starry here! OH, and while I'm griping. Did every firefly in the US move here? Do they think it's proper to gather in the thousands in my yard and make me miss TV shows to watch them? It's a trick, a ploy I'm tellin' ya...they're up to something...I'll get to the bottom of it yet. =)

psst...I absolutely love it here...every day I wake up I'm grateful to have my little slice of heaven.

Thanks for the laughs...great thread!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM

165 posts, read 415,400 times
I've pretty much had enough of these polite young people.

They're weird. They refuse to fit in.

For example, I have a couple of teens working on my roof right now, who are supposed to show up each morning at 7 and get here at 6:59, and are respectful and clean and use NO bad language while they work themselves to exhaustion... Honestly, where are the "normal" teens, who are irresponsible, lazy, and rude - you know, the ones we always hear about, instead of young men like these?

I suppose in Maine - thanks to the dearth of Yuppie "values"- parents actually have the time to raise their kids. But boy, does it make life BORING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine