Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times

Advertisements

I hate it when I am trying to get on busy Rt 1 from a business parking lot and people stop and let you on the road. How disgusting is that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
I lived in Maine for 8 years. I moved to Ellsworth ( outside of Bar Harbor) from San Francisco in the early 80`s. I lived in a beautiful house on a cliff overlooking a bay. I cried for a year straight everyday. They didn`t like outsiders at that time & thought we were rich " summer people". We bought the house for 30,000 & we were so poor after that. We had to sell the frezzer one month to make the house payment. People wouldn`t talk to us, wouldn`t wait on us in stores or restaurants, it was awful. After about a year & a half, when they saw that we survived the 8 month winter with wood heat it got better. And yes after a couple of years I knew everyone in town, their families, their dogs & cats, & yes I have tried to disguise myself at the grocery store so I wouldn`t run into everyone in town. But I miss it now. It was & is so beautiful & cold. The northern lights in summer, the tourists (people from away), commuting to work in 4 ft. of snow. I met wonderful people that will help you out even if they are nosy & irritating. The love of my life died there & I may never go back but it is a wonderful place & I have great memories of it. So enjoy it Slaner

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,929 times
Default What a nice surprise of a thread

Where is all my big box stores? and what fun is it to go when you dont get to sit in traffic for 30 minutes to get to the front of each traffic light. Bummer! Getting overheated in the car is surely the next best thing to laying on the beach. Who wouldnt want to be warm & heated all the time? Geezum wonkers, I might have to put a jacket on for more than a couple months out of the year. What fun can that possibly be??? I'm affraid my kids will be sooo bored in Maine. After it takes only 5 minutes to get the kids to some social event, there just isnt enough else for them to do in their day. Soccer, gymnastics, karate, ballet.... So what are they supposed to do, watch TV for 12 hours/day? Thats it, that might be our saving grace in all this. You do get all 680 stations up there dont you? I heard Maine is the only state without a Red Lobster. Forget it. No chain lobster store, you can count me out. I suppose most of what you have are these slop mom & pop shops. I mean, really, things might tast a little different than what I'm used to. isnt uniformity an entitlement in this country? C'mon Maine, get with it. What if me & my 10 million friends want to move to Maine. Where do you think your going to put us? With all your stupid zoning and protections. The rest of the country is paved over, so why try to protect it anymore? I'm sorry I got to get going now, my cell phone is ringing off the hook and I got to put the keyboard down so I can get around this truck that stuck in the construction zone. God, I love my life here, you can keep Maine

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM

165 posts, read 415,400 times
Quote:
The love of my life died there & I may never go back but it is a wonderful place & I have great memories of it.
I'm sorry, Slaner. I'm glad the memories are good, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I hate it when I am trying to get on busy Rt 1 from a business parking lot and people stop and let you on the road. How disgusting is that!

Very.

And while we're on the topic of cars, WHERE is the rush hour here? I'm not exactly rich, and I can't afford a sauna, so I was counting on sitting in 90-degree heat, trapped in traffic, sweating the impurities out of my pores.

Except that there aren't all that many impurities here anyway, so I guess that's a bit moot.

One more thing about cars: How insulting is it, when you take your car to the mechanic, and he refuses to take any money because he doesn't think he did anything to earn it? What? Something wrong with MY money, guy?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

165 posts, read 415,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
Where is all my big box stores? and what fun is it to go when you dont get to sit in traffic for 30 minutes to get to the front of each traffic light. Bummer! Getting overheated in the car is surely the next best thing to laying on the beach. Who wouldnt want to be warm & heated all the time? Geezum wonkers, I might have to put a jacket on for more than a couple months out of the year. What fun can that possibly be??? I'm affraid my kids will be sooo bored in Maine. After it takes only 5 minutes to get the kids to some social event, there just isnt enough else for them to do in their day. Soccer, gymnastics, karate, ballet.... So what are they supposed to do, watch TV for 12 hours/day? Thats it, that might be our saving grace in all this. You do get all 680 stations up there dont you? I heard Maine is the only state without a Red Lobster. Forget it. No chain lobster store, you can count me out. I suppose most of what you have are these slop mom & pop shops. I mean, really, things might tast a little different than what I'm used to. isnt uniformity an entitlement in this country? C'mon Maine, get with it. What if me & my 10 million friends want to move to Maine. Where do you think your going to put us? With all your stupid zoning and protections. The rest of the country is paved over, so why try to protect it anymore? I'm sorry I got to get going now, my cell phone is ringing off the hook and I got to put the keyboard down so I can get around this truck that stuck in the construction zone. God, I love my life here, you can keep Maine

Had to rep you on that one.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,558 times
Sounds like a gorgeous place for people who like that type of thing. I live in the country in southern Illinois and cannot wait to move up around St. Louis. I hate the peace and quiet. And I'm not saying this sarcastically like everyone else here

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,949 times
What is with this low crime stuff around here!? Seriously now, my town has no murders or rapes or assults or any of that other fun stuff. I don't know about the rest of you but I like to live life on the edge. The thought of stepping out my front door and being lit up on a drive by is my morning cup o' joe. The element of danger is what keeps me going. If I had my way every prison in America would dump all their inmate in Maine, give them a gun and tell them to go nuts. Help keep things interesting.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
OMG...Great idea for a thread. Many Kudos to the fabulous Miss Mollysmiles. I've been laughing 'til it hurts!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM

581 posts, read 713,994 times
I hate that you can't use gross, filthy, offensive language on this board. I mean, sometimes us Mainers have no other way to express usselves!

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 08-02-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM

46 posts, read 139,107 times
Great thread!

I just love it how in Atlanta you're constantly getting cut off on the roads and people give you ugly looks if you get in their way for just a second, and how we have such an amazing drought...I think states that have enough water and no pollution and nice people are disgusting! To think that states like Maine exist...that's horrible.

I think it's great to watch the 10o'clock news and hear about all the double and triple murders in nearby neighborhoods...it really encourages me to get to know my neighbors. Atlanta's fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine