Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM

12 posts, read 41,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
> I lived in Seattle from '87 to '90. Moved to Maine in '92. The first thing you'll notice is how small the trees are. Eventually, they'll appear normal.

> You'll find Maine generally less expensive than Seattle. Homes may be more expensive if they're on the water.

> There is a noticable difference in the work ethic. The Northeast is much less "laid back" than Seattle. When you say, "never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off 'till the day after," Mainers won't laugh (or get it).

> The people are very nice and neighborly, but they take a bit longer to loosen up. Give them time. They'll do anything for you once they get to know you.

> Winter is about the same length in Maine, but less gray, rainy and depressing. Snow and ice actually add a little variety.

> The "Old Port" section of Portland has a similar feel to Seattle. When you get homesick it might provide some relief.

Hope this helps.
I'm so laughing right now about the 'noticable difference in the work ethic'! That is the FIRST thing I noticed when I visited. I came back to Seattle telling people..."(the people of Maine) they are such hardworkers!...and so down to earth!...and they are so thrifty!"
A true story...I came to Maine in September to be the best person in my brother's wedding...his bride to be is a native Mainah...I had to buy the same dress and shoes as the bridesmaids...so I thought I was doing really good by getting my shoes on ebay for $40 bucks...Well all those bridesmaids started talking about their shoes...and it wasn't how much they PAID for them but how much they DIDN'T pay for them...it came down to the woman who got hers from a cousin who got them from a sister that was the most envious one! In Seattle I would have been shamed for my $40 ebay shoes and they would have bragged about how expensive theirs were...in Maine I was a fool for spending so much! I loved it!! I felt like I have been missing this place for so long!

I think as far as winter goes...I'll take the cold over 9 months of no sun.

But the trees!!!! When will they stop seeming small? But I did see some Rhody's!
And when will I stop missing Dungeness Crab and King Salmon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,755,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolcetto View Post
And when will I stop missing Dungeness Crab and King Salmon?

A couple of shots of Allen's, a few fiddleheads, and a Lobstah and you'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM

12 posts, read 41,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
A couple of shots of Allen's, a few fiddleheads, and a Lobstah and you'll be fine.
(and she says in all seriousness) I love fiddleheads.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,757,225 times
Cliff Island is beautiful!
The movie "The Whales of August" starring an elderly Bette Davis and Lillian Gish was filmed there in a house still standing.
Cliff Island is the furthest away from Portland on the ferry.
What fun! Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,950 times
Quote:
I knew this would happen! I'm moving to Cliff Island...and I know of your daughter's friend...she just had a son! And my brother works for her husbands father! I only briefly met your daughter's friend at my brother's wedding. You know...one wedding leads to another. And that quote from the military...I have moved a few times and I definately understand it. When people ask me if I like Seattle I tell them "I'll realize how much I liked it when I move".
But I plan on the long haul in Maine.

LOL. It's a small world. Next time you see her tell her Robert & Marilu said hi.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
And those taxes just keep getting worse...but I won't go into it...I'll just annoy myself!
Granted each persons experiences are different.

Our experience has been that by moving to Maine; our home expenses were significantly lower than in previous areas where we have lived. [a list can be provided]

In our experience taxes in Maine tend to be much lower than taxes in the other areas where we have lived [this meant to include: income taxes, property taxes, vehicle taxes, road taxes, and all other taxes]

There are areas of Maine that do offer a cost-of-living that is much lower than many areas of Washington. However like North-East Washington up on the dry high plains there are parts of Washington where things can be low priced as well. I think it aligns much better to compare urban to urban and rural to rural; and to throw in the tweak of tourist hot-spots.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
And those taxes just keep getting worse...but I won't go into it...I'll just annoy myself!
It depends on the area/town you buy in and their financial situation, the type of property you buy (low and wet, high and dry, waterfront or just a view) and the exemptions you are able to to apply for. Some folks are able to get into tree growth and pay an average of $100 and acre or working waterfront tax dodge...I mean exemption...and drop their waterfront valuation to a houselot value. Lots of things go into the make up of the taxes. What works for one may not be the case at all for some others. Enjoy Cliff Island.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It depends on the area/town you buy in and their financial situation, the type of property you buy (low and wet, high and dry, waterfront or just a view) and the exemptions you are able to to apply for.
It also depends on what you had to pay for in all these things from where you came from. My local taxes will be about the same, and my state tax is almost identical. But my costs for both car insurance and house insurance will be a lot less. Amazingly, the cost for food excluding fresh veggies will be about the same.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Hello!
I'm moving to Maine from Seattle, WA. I've lived in Washington and Oregon for the last 20 years. I have read some posts here talking about how expensive Maine is but I can't believe it could in any way compare to Seattle. I am moving to be with my fiance who is much more attached to Maine than I seem to be to Washington. While I find it will be a little gut-wrenching to leave the Northwest...he's a native Mainah...I think that says it all.
Anyway, I was just looking for any advice, anyone's experiences moving from west to east, any native Mainah's suggestions and just any anecdotes on what I'm in for!
We lived in Federal Way, WA for about 10 years before coming to our senses and moving to Maine. Life is SO much better here.

Maine doesn't have Washington's mountains, but it has ocean, forests, and far more wildlife than we ever saw in Washington. Severe traffic in Maine is a rare anomaly rather than an everyday occurrence. Maine has four distinct seasons (get ready for snow in winter). The worst neighborhoods in Portland are nothing compared to some of the safer neighborhoods in Seattle and Tacoma. The coffee shops in Maine are just as good as those in Washington (as long as you avoid Starbucks).

Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
It also depends on what you had to pay for in all these things from where you came from. My local taxes will be about the same, and my state tax is almost identical. But my costs for both car insurance and house insurance will be a lot less. Amazingly, the cost for food excluding fresh veggies will be about the same.
Well, color me surprised. I thought you didn't read my stuff or molly's. But, when DW and I moved back home from Atlanta the first thing we noticed was the price drop in a gallon of milk; almost $2. The same with a lot of food. But the increase in excise tax took care of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine