Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM

157 posts, read 327,890 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Good evening all, we just discovered c-d Maine forum this week and I am already addicted obsessively reading relevant retirement/ relocation threads. It seems to us this is quite a lively, amicable and diverse group of folks providing some very valuable inside information to us potential “awayers”.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, who are we and what info are we seeking from forum members?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are retiring active health care professions, me a nurse, husband a physician (50’s & 60’s respectively) . We both wish to stay busy but simplify our lives during our retirement whether it be volunteering, performing home improvements, natural surrounding beauty (wildlife, birding) outdoor recreation like kayaking, fishing (for eating not for sport), hiking are some favorites. We’re in search of (sorry I know you’ve heard this dreamy story before) coastal frontage or direct open ocean views, elevation preferred, summer cottage / rustic is okay, 2beds/ 1 bath minimum. Local art/ culture. Factors unimportant or not a priority are an abundance of “fine” restaurants, arts, etc. – see I warned you we might be seen as an “odd couple”. LOL [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We have four adult children ages range 28-39 years, so they may come up occasionally for a visit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As many of you are well aware real estate purchases are always business / investment decisions – so we are quite mindful that while we are Buyers for Maine property now, at some point we or our children will be Sellers – so the community we ultimately decide on should possess the salability factor of location, location, location.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We plan to retire from our full-time professions within the next 2 – 2.5 years.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We have owned water front property in the past in Florida and Annapolis Maryland areas so we are not exactly naive to the risks of coastal property.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Participants on this forum fill in the gaps where your real estate agent doesn’t necessarily volunteer We are looking for an area that is approximately 30-45 minutes from nearest large grocery, retail hardware, and hospital.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You’ll have to forgive me as I am still a novice with all the terminology associated with the various geographic regions of coastal Maine, so I’ll just tell you what “towns” have appealed to us thus far as we search online evaluating the mls listings. We understand that seeing a listing on-line is often very different and cannot compete with the “being there how it ‘feels’ experience. We’re planning a home search visit in April or May, after the thaw.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Some Maine real estate market stats we’ve reviewed revealed that currently Maine has approximately 6 month + inventory on the market right now – some may speculate that with Spring + (negative) effects of the current economy this number may increase. The list/ sale ratios appear to range between 10-20% depending on and proportionate to home price range upper v. lower)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Areas under consideration are listed below and we’re very open to your recommendations as well, including any back pocket FSBO or local community contacts you ‘re comfortable sharing. We are working with an agent currently but are not wedded if we find a local or FSBO independently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Phillipsburg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Boothbay Harbor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Winter Harbor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Birch Harbor/ Schoodic Point area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Pemaquid[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Isleboro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Owls Head[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Where else ???[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Considering everything I’ve shared are we being overly optimistic on finding something in the up to $400K list-price range?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In advance, we both appreciate any helpful advice you can provide.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Take Care All![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Red face apologies

Note to self, do not copy & paste from a word doc, sorry about that folks.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
Note to self, do not copy & paste from a word doc, sorry about that folks.
Took a bit to read, but for you, I suggest Mount Desert Island. Owls head isn't bad either.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
The boothbay, pemaquid and bristol areas would be on the top of my list
beautiful areas

Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
If you like 'Word' for it's sp3llch3ck and grammar, you can call up notepad.

Cut from Word [Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C] paste to notepad [Ctrl-V], then re-cut from notepad [Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C] shift window to your browser and paste [Ctrl-V] there.

By dropping the formated text into notepad it will strip away all hidden just leaving strictly the text portion.

I like Word for that function too

Long ago I used to use a text reader to read back to me the text that I had written, before I posted. For me it worked nicely to be able to hear my text read back to me, it allowed me to detect and fix badly worded texts.

btw, welcome to Maine

Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Thank you all so much for your in-put so far,
forgot to add two other areas we are considering:
Rockland and Harpswell

Have a wonderful day!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Why not start around Pemaquid, Boothbay, Harpswell and go up the coast, checking out towns until you find one you like. There are a LOT of coastal towns before you get to Canada.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
[SIZE=3]Good evening all, we just discovered c-d Maine forum this week and I am already addicted obsessively reading relevant retirement/ relocation threads. It seems to us this is quite a lively, amicable and diverse group of folks providing some very valuable inside information to us potential “awayers”.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, who are we and what info are we seeking from forum members?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are retiring active health care professions, me a nurse, husband a physician (50’s & 60’s respectively) . We both wish to stay busy but simplify our lives during our retirement whether it be volunteering, performing home improvements, natural surrounding beauty (wildlife, birding) outdoor recreation like kayaking, fishing (for eating not for sport), hiking are some favorites. We’re in search of (sorry I know you’ve heard this dreamy story before) coastal frontage or direct open ocean views, elevation preferred, summer cottage / rustic is okay, 2beds/ 1 bath minimum. Local art/ culture. Factors unimportant or not a priority are an abundance of “fine” restaurants, arts, etc. – see I warned you we might be seen as an “odd couple”. LOL [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We have four adult children ages range 28-39 years, so they may come up occasionally for a visit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As many of you are well aware real estate purchases are always business / investment decisions – so we are quite mindful that while we are Buyers for Maine property now, at some point we or our children will be Sellers – so the community we ultimately decide on should possess the salability factor of location, location, location.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We plan to retire from our full-time professions within the next 2 – 2.5 years.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We have owned water front property in the past in Florida and Annapolis Maryland areas so we are not exactly naive to the risks of coastal property.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Participants on this forum fill in the gaps where your real estate agent doesn’t necessarily volunteer We are looking for an area that is approximately 30-45 minutes from nearest large grocery, retail hardware, and hospital.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You’ll have to forgive me as I am still a novice with all the terminology associated with the various geographic regions of coastal Maine, so I’ll just tell you what “towns” have appealed to us thus far as we search online evaluating the mls listings. We understand that seeing a listing on-line is often very different and cannot compete with the “being there how it ‘feels’ experience. We’re planning a home search visit in April or May, after the thaw.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Some Maine real estate market stats we’ve reviewed revealed that currently Maine has approximately 6 month + inventory on the market right now – some may speculate that with Spring + (negative) effects of the current economy this number may increase. The list/ sale ratios appear to range between 10-20% depending on and proportionate to home price range upper v. lower)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Areas under consideration are listed below and we’re very open to your recommendations as well, including any back pocket FSBO or local community contacts you ‘re comfortable sharing. We are working with an agent currently but are not wedded if we find a local or FSBO independently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Phillipsburg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Boothbay Harbor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Winter Harbor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Birch Harbor/ Schoodic Point area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Pemaquid[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Isleboro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Owls Head[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Where else ???[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Considering everything I’ve shared are we being overly optimistic on finding something in the up to $400K list-price range?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In advance, we both appreciate any helpful advice you can provide.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Take Care All![/SIZE]
Have you considered Washington County? Your $400K might get you a house with some good saltwater frontage there.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
There is still land on the coast and there are economical builders who can build low cost energy efficient homes.

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc..

This would come in much lower than $400,000. I have no business connection with this company, just good familiarity with successful projects.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
I have been thinking about your post, and for some reason keep coming back to the Bayside area of Northport, a town in between Belfast and Camden. The town itself doesn't have much (I hesitate to even call it a "town"), but 5 minutes away is Belfast with an awesome grocery store (we miss that Hannafords) and other things. Rockland is maybe 20-25 minutes south, too. Bar Harbor and MDI is not that far, either, and you're an hour to Bangor and Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine