Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM

37,463 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

No!

Way too many hidden characters; font specs and other junk. You want it stripped down to just a TXT format. Which is notepad. [or any other TXT editor]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM

157 posts, read 327,763 times
Smile Odd Couple's Summary of Exploratort Real Etate shopping Trip

Okay pull up your comfy chair, grab your cup of your favorite beverage and start. LOL
May be summed up in three words: Reality check, Enlightening, and Informative. To the extent that the objective of this trip was “exploratory” in nature – the trip more than met its goal, and was definitely of value and not time nor money wasted on our part. We do feel a bit guilty though and have gained a new sense of empathy and appreciation for the extensive level of effort by real estate sales agents not having sealed a deal. We were completely transparent and clear from the beginning though with both agents of our trip being exploratory.
We are cash buyers, and looked only at coastal with a view 4 season homes.
We flew into Portland and started our journey in Harspswell where while a beautiful area, it became clear early on that buyers are paying a premium for location, location, location because of its closer proximity to Portland and the nearby states (NY for example) for weekender folks.
Our favorite locales were Surry and Brooksville. I have nothing but accolades and a positive report for the two buyers’ agents who serviced us! They both went above and beyond the call of duty. For that we feel fortunate. Agent One aka Mr. B Harps well showed Orr’s Isl., West Bath, Boothbay, Penobscot Agent Two aka Mr. M showed Stockton springs, Waldoboro, Surry, Ellsworth, Brooksville, Lamoine, Trenton Surry, Winter Harbor, Gouldsboro, Schoodic Point, Sullivan.
Next time if/when we go back I’d like to see more homes in Searsport and Belfast.
Reality Check: As a couple, we do not disagree that given the market, in theory between now and even into 2012, it could be a great investment – if one is willing to hold the property over time. My husband and I have different perspectives however moving forward in the short-term. He thinks it is still a worthwhile investment given the right home at the right price with the property ultimately being passed down to our children and grandchildren. I, however feel differently. Given the prospects of declining health and functionality I fear a significant threat or risk of responsibility, burden and expense to myself (also aging) should he become disabled or otherwise rendered incapable of caring for the property’s maintenance and or monetary liabilities (taxes, caretakers, etc). Also we have two adult daughters recently married whom (we hope) expect to have children within the next two years. As Grandmother, I want to be as close geographically as possible to my grandkids and see them as frequently as possible – even so far as being a live-in babysitter LOL. Relocating to coastal Maine as summer residents would not allow me to do this. I am happy to plan for renting a home for the summers, although hubby would see this situation as “not his home” where he can pitter around fixing and improving the property – he says he’d be bored – what can I say? LOL

Enlightening and Informative: Not to sound gender-biased but things of a mechanical nature, operational functioning of homes involving multiple heating systems, wells septic tanks (leech fields), air quality monitors , chemicals in the water at levels which may not be correct (arsenic mercury radon etc) freak me out – knowledge and experience in such things is not my strength and I really have no interest in learning them. Probably if any Mainer women are reading this novel you may well be rolling your eyes at me right now LOL My husband on the other hand is sooo mechanical and engineering oriented – let me just put it this way - he’s never hired a contractor ever to perform any work in our home with the exception of installing a new central AC unit. I am so spoiled and fortunate to have a handy man type husband but it has made me very dependent on him and enabled me not to learn of these things.
There were several properties where the home was right but the lot was wrong if you know what I mean. Like, there were three for example where the homes seemed dangerously close to the road if we used it with grandchildren or rented it out occasionally to families with children, it seemed dangerous to me not to mention the road noise (one was in West Bath, one on Schoodic Point area, and the other in Surry). Loved a home in Brooksville, it felt so private and back to nature-esque – but the acreage was way to much for us, 18 acres!
Observations Surrounding RE Buyers Agents, Listing Agents, and Sellers: I can’t for the life of me figure out why sellers are virtually not staging their homes???? I was amazed at the condition in which "some" sellers allowed their homes be shown. One property (quite old in Schoodic area across from that grocery store) had a sign at the entrance to the basement warning buyers not to go down the basement, my husband and our agent went anyway, I mean duh if we make an offer we are buying the basement too aren’t we? ! So they go down there and the it’s just a short ceiling crawlspace kind of basement - with tons of water on the floor – uhm I guess that’s why the sign said don’t go to basement. Also found that BOTH sellers and listing agents were not always being completely truthful at disclosures! So Buyer Beware as always! It was very sad for me that the stories being related by either my agent or the listing agent are stories of either declining health or the death of a spouse or a divorce. The more I heard the story of death of a spouse the more I was thinking MOG – this could well be me in a few years, all alone with this house! Perhaps I was personally identifying with those sellers a bit too much, I don’t know. Came across a “few “ attitudes by some listing agents which absolutely put us off - with their attitude – maybe that’s the norm up there, I am uncertain, but it turned us off. Attitude One - what I call the “I am doing you a favor by taking time out of my schedule to show you this home, in other words, how dare you interrupt my Saturday”, needless to say that attitude was not perceived as exactly a warm, approachable or friendly demeanor. Did not leave a favoirable impression with us as Buyers. Attitude Two – “ I know more than you, and no way this Seller is going to compromise on price”., and here’s the best one we drive all the way up to Schoodic Point, listing agent has a funeral to go to (Okay I understand that happens) – another agent is kind enough to show her listings for her – the primary home I drive all the way up there to see is not able to be shown – no keys fit – so that was very disappointing and a waste of our time and our agent’s time. My deepest sympathies to the sellers for having lost a showing because of their listing agent. I don’t know how wide spread , prevalent, and frequent these issues and experiences by other Buyers are but just be aware that that’s the way it is apparently at least base on our experience.
Finally, I hope I have come across as just naive and now more informed of the local environmental norms. By some I may be perceived as whooz who perhaps may not be able to take the harsh demands of that environment. If I knew my husband would always be around to help with the home I’d feel more confident but my practical realistic side is guiding me currently in the decision-making process. The irony of it all is that both my husband and I continue to monitor the new listings and sold data – what’s that say ? ! Apparently the magical lure of coastal Maine continues ! When and if we do back we’ve changed our criteria to simplify things, we’ll only look at seasonal homes/ cottages.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM

37,463 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
... To the extent that the objective of this trip was “exploratory” in nature – the trip more than met its goal,
Good

Quote:
... it became clear early on that buyers are paying a premium for location, location, location because of its closer proximity to Portland and the nearby states (NY for example) for weekender folks.
There is good reason that Portland is thought of as a suburb of Boston.

Quote:
... I have nothing but accolades and a positive report for the two buyers’ agents who serviced us!
That just sounds wrong.

Quote:
... I, however feel differently. Given the prospects of declining health and functionality I fear a significant threat or risk of responsibility, burden and expense to myself (also aging) should he become disabled or otherwise rendered incapable of caring for the property’s maintenance and or monetary liabilities (taxes, caretakers, etc).
Would this be somehow different if you lived in some other area?

Quote:
... Also we have two adult daughters recently married whom (we hope) expect to have children within the next two years. As Grandmother,

... there were three for example where the homes seemed dangerously close to the road if we used it with grandchildren
Counting eggs before they are hatched, much?

Quote:
... Also found that BOTH sellers and listing agents were not always being completely truthful at disclosures!
We have seen that many times in Maine.

Both when I was shopping for land to buy, and later when we began shopping for rental property.

Quote:
... It was very sad for me that the stories being related by either my agent or the listing agent are stories of either declining health or the death of a spouse or a divorce.
Which may explain why properties were not cleanly staged.

Quote:
... Came across a “few “ attitudes by some listing agents which absolutely put us off - with their attitude – maybe that’s the norm up there, I am uncertain, but it turned us off. Attitude One - what I call the “I am doing you a favor by taking time out of my schedule to show you this home, in other words, how dare you interrupt my Saturday”, needless to say that attitude was not perceived as exactly a warm, approachable or friendly demeanor. Did not leave a favoirable impression with us as Buyers.

Attitude Two – “ I know more than you, and no way this Seller is going to compromise on price”., and here’s the best one we drive all the way up to Schoodic Point, listing agent has a funeral to go to (Okay I understand that happens) – another agent is kind enough to show her listings for her – the primary home I drive all the way up there to see is not able to be shown – no keys fit – so that was very disappointing and a waste of our time and our agent’s time.
Yes that happens.

Quote:
... By some I may be perceived as whooz who perhaps may not be able to take the harsh demands of that environment. If I knew my husband would always be around to help with the home I’d feel more confident but my practical realistic side is guiding me currently in the decision-making process.
I think that people make a much bigger deal of the "harsh demands of this environment" then exists in reality.

I really do not see it as being any 'harsher' then some of the other areas we have lived in previously.

I do hope that you find a place that you can be happy with.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
I was glad to read your update...

I can relate a lot; I am a single, retired female planning on moving to Maine.

I was always planning on buying - but sometimes i do think of renting, and many of your reasons are the same as my own - as far as upkeep etc.

I am in NJ with an acre and a half, and that's too much for me even - AND tax-wise it's wayyy too much down here!

I also wanted to add that i just visited Cape Cod and checked out some small cottages to buy (get MUCH less house there for the money, obv) and only one out of 7 had ANY staging done. I also was a bit surprised, but i'm learning that most people dont seem to stage their home when selling. I think it's too hard to live in it and stage it at the same time - especially when many houses are taking years to sell.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonice View Post
Where did the retired couple end up in Maine? We, too, are looking to retire in ME and are interested in house prices, and property taxes. ... We are looking for a home around $200,000. .. Our children are 31 years old to 41 years old (3 children). We have 4 grandchildre who would visit. Of course, a good hospital and medical care is very important. .. We are from the Jersey Shore and are now looking for peace and quiet in a small town. We have vacationed at Pemaquid Point for 10 years when our children were young.
Thanks,
Tonice
Ellsworth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine