Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM

332 posts, read 992,062 times

Advertisements

So we're planning our second summer trip to Maine and are looking for a much different experience than last time. Last year we went to MDI and wandered through Acadia, which was great, but this year we'd like to head to the Moosehead Lake region for something more remote. Basically these are our requirements:

-On Moosehead Lake or one of the adjacent ponds in the region.
-Kitchen and/or grill/firepit (we cook our own meals).
-Toilet in the cabin (my wife's requirement)-the showers can be located elsewhere.
-Must allow dogs-our chocolate lab loves Maine more than we do

Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,585,280 times
This should get you started!

Vacation rentals, maine travel, lodging in maine, white water rafting in maine, maine vacation rentals

Feel free to post more questions, comments or problems for anyone else seeking the 'experience.'

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
This should get you started!

Vacation rentals, maine travel, lodging in maine, white water rafting in maine, maine vacation rentals

Feel free to post more questions, comments or problems for anyone else seeking the 'experience.'
Great link-thanks! Basically in terms of a cabin we're not looking for much in terms of accommodations. We'll be traveling with basically everything we need as we're planning on doing some wandering up around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway and then heading back down to Moosehead Lake. We would like to spend a few days in a cabin at some point during the trip on the lake just to relax and unwind. As long as we have a roof over our heads, running water, and a place to cook (come to think of it I saw a nice camp stove at Cabela's last weekend-this could be a good excuse to buy it ) we'll be happy. Canoes or rowboats for rent would be a plus. What we're not looking for is a place where cabins are stacked on top of each other and there are people everywhere. One last question-how are the black flies around the lake in late June/early July?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

642 posts, read 1,258,184 times
We love the Birches in Rockwood. They allow dogs. It's our favorite Maine vacation and we're Mainers

Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM

The Birches are nice for starters. Black fly season should be about over. How are you doing the Allagash?

Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The Birches are nice for starters. Black fly season should be about over. How are you doing the Allagash?
I checked it out online and it looks exactly like what we want-I like the fact that we can be on our own and cook own meals, etc...but have dinner at the lodge one or two nights after a long day of hiking when we don't feel like making anything. The basic lakeside cabins have the all important indoor toilet as the wife requires (I'm fine with an outhouse or a well placed bush ), and obviously there's plenty to do. I want to check a few more things out regarding the pet policy, etc...but I think we might be set. I love this forum As for the Allagash, I honestly have no idea at this point, but I'm starting to get ready by frequenting another forum that deals with vehicle dependent overland travel. There are lots of folks who spend a lot of time plying the Great North Woods via 4x4. I drive a Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with the Powerstroke diesel. Fuel is not a problem because I can carry nearly 100 gallons between the stock and auxillary tanks, plus I plan to carry at least 55 gallons extra in the bed. I'm looking into a Delorme Gazateer to fill in the blanks for my Garmin GPS, but there's lots more to do...

Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I checked it out online and it looks exactly like what we want-I like the fact that we can be on our own and cook own meals, etc...but have dinner at the lodge one or two nights after a long day of hiking when we don't feel like making anything. The basic lakeside cabins have the all important indoor toilet as the wife requires (I'm fine with an outhouse or a well placed bush ), and obviously there's plenty to do. I want to check a few more things out regarding the pet policy, etc...but I think we might be set. I love this forum As for the Allagash, I honestly have no idea at this point, but I'm starting to get ready by frequenting another forum that deals with vehicle dependent overland travel. There are lots of folks who spend a lot of time plying the Great North Woods via 4x4. I drive a Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with the Powerstroke diesel. Fuel is not a problem because I can carry nearly 100 gallons between the stock and auxillary tanks, plus I plan to carry at least 55 gallons extra in the bed. I'm looking into a Delorme Gazateer to fill in the blanks for my Garmin GPS, but there's lots more to do...
Dude! Is there any other kind of truck? If you guys want to take a day sightseeing, fishing or whatever (you would never see it all in a month,) DM me for a phone number or something. We know all the best views around here and rarely use 4 wheel drive except on some tertiary or quadertiary roads.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM

476 posts, read 749,388 times
Quote:
Dude! Is there any other kind of truck? If you guys want to take a day sightseeing, fishing or whatever (you would never see it all in a month,) DM me for a phone number or something. We know all the best views around here and rarely use 4 wheel drive except on some tertiary or quadertiary roads.
Here's a shot of our 4X in the San Bernardino Mountains, at about 7000ft, with a nice view of the desert floor below. I'm looking forward to the day soon when we can do some exploring in our Samurai with our pals in Maine. I know it's no comparison to the big trucks, but there's something about having those 76, Wild, Screaming Horses raging under the hood, just chomping at the bit, waiting to charge up the trail…!

Last edited by 221B; 01-23-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine