Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,027 times

Advertisements

I couldn't agree more about the great people in Eastport! We were there in August thinking about the possibility of retiring there. After a week in Eastport we were sold on the place and felt like we already knew half the people in town. We looked at some properties but haven't bought anything yet, but there are actually some properties we can afford! It's a few years before we can retire, but we can't wait to get to Eastport for good! I grew up in Maine, so it's not surprising that I want to get back there, but my midwestern raised husband loves it at least as much as I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Phjegod welcome to the forum!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phjegood View Post
I couldn't agree more about the great people in Eastport! We were there in August thinking about the possibility of retiring there. After a week in Eastport we were sold on the place and felt like we already knew half the people in town. We looked at some properties but haven't bought anything yet, but there are actually some properties we can afford! It's a few years before we can retire, but we can't wait to get to Eastport for good! I grew up in Maine, so it's not surprising that I want to get back there, but my midwestern raised husband loves it at least as much as I do!
Welcome to the Maine forum. Wonder if you were the other Ohio plates we saw when we were up in early September?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,233,037 times
We have Bangor Hydro in Pembroke...no problems and the bills aren't high. However, I can't find a job and it's a nightmare.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Ganong's is hiring, there are cooks and clerks needed in Calais....the hospital here is also hiring people....what exactly are you looking for? There are jobs in the Calais Advertiser every week. Also, right now there is a need for substitute teachers. So, if you're serious about a job there isn't any reason you should be without one.

I would think you could also make some money shoveling snow.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 01-01-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 02:19 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,233,037 times
I've applied for several jobs. The pay is too low for me to afford to live there. I can't believe the difference between counties in salaries.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phjegood View Post
Welcome Phjegood to the forum. We also felt at home in Eastport after a week in August and bought a home in Sept. 2007. We are looking forward to eventually becoming full-time residents.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Janice when I saw Bud yesterday I almost went into this long explanation of "meeting" you and Maine4 online, and chatting, and which house you bought and how Maine4 met him....you know, the whole thing....but there was no way to say it so that I didn't sound loopy!

"Yes, these people that I talk to online every day bought this house in south end, and then there's someone who bought a house on Boynton St, and I talk to them online too, and then there's a couple from Ohio who want to move and were there in Sept. and his family is from Eastport..... I haven't met any of them though.....but they're really nice......and they love Eastport!" and the final thought that would do me in would be "and there's someone who's a teacher and she loves Eastport, and someone else who writes for the Tides....and we all talk on this forum....they live right in Washington County, oh nope, we've never met"........LOL

I'll be so glad when we all do meet so that when I talk about all of you it will sound a bit more "normal"!! lol....

Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
Molly

Tell Bud maine4 is the guy who emailed him about the Happy Crab fire. I am an ex-fire chief of a municipality about the size of Eastport. We did fire and rescue for an area of about 80 square miles, not unlike rural Maine. Bud gave me a fireman's view of the fire. I don't think many people know how lucky the owners, and the adjacent businesses were. Eastport must have a good fire department, I suspect most are volunteers! How people volunteer in a town is an excellent measure of it being a real community.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:24 PM

I'll tell him that next time I see him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine