Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM

161 posts, read 419,235 times

Advertisements

Saw this report of a shark attack off Eastport. I do about 50 dives per year in these waters. I have yet to see a shark. Scary encounter and interesting reading.

Down East diver uses camera to fight off shark - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Downeast/Shark-pursues-Down-East-diver-off-Eastport,157291 - broken link)

I'll be diving up there during Thanksgiving.

Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,552,701 times
And people ask "why don't you swim in the ocean?" pffffffffffft I wasn't over Jaws before I read this article. No. Freaking. Way. My impending heart attack would not care that the shark was after the camera.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
Scotty's going to be on The Early Show on CBS tomorrow morning. He's ok, took him a couple of days to get back in the water though!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
Back in a pior life I flew helicopters in the Navy. My job was to fly SEALs around. It had some fringe benefits. I swam with them in the Caribbean where the water is amazingly clear. Those guys would free dive down 25 feet to get lobsters. I could only dive down about 12 feet. I was going along one reef and came face to face with a 4 foot Moray eel. Those things have TEETH and they can drown you. They don't let go. One SEAL speared a huge grouper. The grouper turned and bit the SEAL on top of his shaved head, tearing loose a big piece of his scalp. The fight was on! The SEAL won and we had grouper for supper. I quit swimming with those guys.

I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes either.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
I had a friend in high school that lived in a condo on the island I grew up on in Florida. We'd get off the bus, grab something to eat and drink and sit on the balcony and watch the fools swimming in the Gulf surrounded by tons of rays and sharks and never even know it. All my life I'd been swimming in those waters, not a clue what was around me. After the first time up there I never went in past my mid thigh again. NO thank you! It's amazing what's around you out there that you'll never know about.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
I remember tuna fishing with my dad and brother(between monhegan and pumpkin islands) and in between chumming, we'd shoot some seagulls
and try to catch some bluefish, one time while reeling in a large bluefish (they fight like hell)
when i got him close to the boat and my brother had the gaf- out of nowhere came a huge shadow and chomped the bluefish, leaving nothing but the head still on the line- happened very very quickly, and we swear it was a huge shark.(it was no dogshark)
from that point on- we no longer jumped off the boat (in the ocean) to go swimming

Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
I used to ferry helicopters up the East Coast from Jacksonville to points north. I had a similar view, I once saw a grey haired lady on an air mattress being circled by no less than 5 sharks.

The stuff we are reminded about on the Maine Forum.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:39 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
Well, in defense of the shark... they're pretty certain it was after Scotty's camera, not Scotty. I'm refraining from making a comment about how a good camera shop is tough to find...

Old 10-29-2010, 06:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Well, in defense of the shark... they're pretty certain it was after Scotty's camera, not Scotty. I'm refraining from making a comment about how a good camera shop is tough to find...
See, I don't know. Was it Shawn that went in an hour later w/out a camera and the shark was checking him out? I don't think it was looking at the camera as a meal.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,172,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Back in a pior life I flew helicopters in the Navy. My job was to fly SEALs around. It had some fringe benefits. I swam with them in the Caribbean where the water is amazingly clear. Those guys would free dive down 25 feet to get lobsters. I could only dive down about 12 feet. I was going along one reef and came face to face with a 4 foot Moray eel. Those things have TEETH and they can drown you. They don't let go. One SEAL speared a huge grouper. The grouper turned and bit the SEAL on top of his shaved head, tearing loose a big piece of his scalp. The fight was on! The SEAL won and we had grouper for supper. I quit swimming with those guys.

I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes either.

Heh, heh...there are many good reasons why deep sea divers carry knives.

SCUBA was just becoming all the rage when my father was in the Navy. "Frogmen" is what the SEALS were called then I believe.

He used to carry around a cartoon of two sharks a distance away from a SCUBA diver saying something to the effect of "They taste really great Ralph, but you gotta watch that crunchy bit on their back. It's hard on the teeth."

An octopus hug was not particularly fun either according to him - especially in a Mark 5 helmet.

I'm right there with ya on the "perfectly good airplane" thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine