Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 AM

19 posts, read 37,068 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I want to move to maine but we are really undecided about where in maine to move.I have lived all over from sherman mills maine to florida and back to brunswick me.I love maine and I want my wife and children to see what I love about maine we love the snow and can not wait to be in it up to our waist.other than that we are looking for a place that is both like a city and a small to big town we want to be somewhat close to the ocean but with the cost of houses on the coast know we should go more inland but we also want to stay in south maine no farther north than say auburn can anyone help us decide please getting heidi to make a decision is like pulling a mooses teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 AM

37,524 posts, read 61,561,925 times
I think the best way is to spend some time in Maine. A week in each region really just to get the feel for the area, the people and what goes on there.

Once you narrow it down to the region that you like best, then move into a rental. I think the real 'gems' are found once you live in an area.

The MLS shows houses; but it does not show everything on the market and sometimes when you speak with a realtor you may feel like your on a used car lot. Buying a house is a much bigger decision then buying a used car though. When you already live in an area you will see far more of the properties that are up for sale, and you can inspect them in a much more leisurely fashion.

As an example for about two years we were shopping for an apartment building for my SIL. At anyone time you could search and find three or four properties on the market in or around Bangor. But by looking for a longer period of time, we were able to find a different property or two to investigate every weekend. So in total we actually looked at scores of properties for her to buy. In the end she got cold feet and decided not to do it. My point is that properties 'for sale' cycle, and often you will find properties for sale simply by driving through an area and looking at signs.

Good luck, may God bless you.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,207,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenheidi View Post
So my wife and I want to move to maine but we are really undecided about where in maine to move.I have lived all over from sherman mills maine to florida and back to brunswick me.I love maine and I want my wife and children to see what I love about maine we love the snow and can not wait to be in it up to our waist.other than that we are looking for a place that is both like a city and a small to big town we want to be somewhat close to the ocean but with the cost of houses on the coast know we should go more inland but we also want to stay in south maine no farther north than say auburn can anyone help us decide please getting heidi to make a decision is like pulling a mooses teeth.
Not to get too personal, but do you have a job waiting for you here? If not, you should get one before coming up. Maine is a beautiful but poor state. Jobs, in these tough times, are hard to come by, especially in Maine.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

to tell you the truth as far as a job goes I am a restaurant mngr so wherever i go i know i can get work im not worried about work really

Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM

71 posts, read 173,754 times
The job situation here is nothing to take lightly. I would really recommend having something in place before you make the move, or at least have enough savings to get by until you do find something.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM

503 posts, read 1,027,892 times
I moved up here in the crown just about a year ago. The only job I've had was working the potato harvest. That netted me a whole $1400 before taxes. There are not many jobs to be had in all of Maine and if you're thinking you can just walk in to a restaurant managers position just remember, there are literally a thousand others thinking the same thing. And keep in mind, most restaurant jobs are seasonal.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,709,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
I moved up here in the crown just about a year ago. The only job I've had was working the potato harvest. That netted me a whole $1400 before taxes. There are not many jobs to be had in all of Maine and if you're thinking you can just walk in to a restaurant managers position just remember, there are literally a thousand others thinking the same thing. And keep in mind, most restaurant jobs are seasonal.
This is a good warning! My daughter's friend is a restaurant manager. After being out of work in Maine for 8 months he and his girlfriend finally moved to Florida. He got work in Florida after two more unemployed months. It really is amazing how few jobs there are out there.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,299,413 times
I did a quick search for restaurant managers employment ad, and was surprised at how many are posted

Restaurant Manager Jobs in Maine | Indeed.com

Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 AM

Ok look everyone I know maine lived there as a child and also as an adult I love maine and I have never had these problems you guys are talking of I know the seasonal work my grandmother,uncles,aunts,cousins,brother,niece,gre at niece. all live in maine and my grandmother aunts uncles and cousins are all mainers.calm down with all the neg.views really I am a mainer sort of I moved away due to my dads health now i want to go back but I do want to stay by the coast sort of a drive to the coast would not be bad either i do want to stayaway from north maine and stay more towards the city so mychildren will geta little more culture see we live in va right now and we hate the south the racism here is really bad im whiteand i hate it in maine i never saw the things i see here and cant wait to getback to maine i lived in brunswick me for 5 years but i dontthinki can afford brunswick anymore due to the college and navy base people.so please i just want an idea of a good place to raise a familyin south or eastern southern maine like around portland or bah habah lol bar harbor

Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Not to get too personal, but do you have a job waiting for you here? If not, you should get one before coming up. Maine is a beautiful but poor state. Jobs, in these tough times, are hard to come by, especially in Maine.

yes I do have jobs lined up see I am a mcdonalds mngr and where ever i go mcdonalds is always looking for good help ive called a few of them and theyare very excited to hire me already in the brunswick/portland area but as everyone knows mcdonalds is everywhere so hence the want for somewhere we can settle and raise a family instead of just moving to prtland or lewiston where I know the crime is high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine