Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM

52 posts, read 127,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenheidi View Post
Ok look everyone I know maine lived there as a child and also as an adult I love maine and I have never had these problems you guys are talking of I know the seasonal work my grandmother,uncles,aunts,cousins,brother,niece,gre at niece. all live in maine and my grandmother aunts uncles and cousins are all mainers.calm down with all the neg.views really I am a mainer sort of I moved away due to my dads health now i want to go back but I do want to stay by the coast sort of a drive to the coast would not be bad either i do want to stayaway from north maine and stay more towards the city so mychildren will geta little more culture see we live in va right now and we hate the south the racism here is really bad im whiteand i hate it in maine i never saw the things i see here and cant wait to getback to maine i lived in brunswick me for 5 years but i dontthinki can afford brunswick anymore due to the college and navy base people.so please i just want an idea of a good place to raise a familyin south or eastern southern maine like around portland or bah habah lol bar harbor

This is SO hard to read! Punctuation would help it make sense. We may be backwoods up here, but Maineah's know what a period is and where it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,324,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, shooters; On the rim it will say +P which means extra high pressure. These rounds should only be fired in new modern pistols rated for such loads.
I tried to sell my .357 mag S&W and the dealer told me I had used +P rounds in it. I said no but he said he could tell by the scrapes in the revolver. Unfortunatley for me, I had purchased a red-dot sight for it and then lost the screws to put it in when I transferred it to my .22 S&W revolver. So I went to the hardward store and got new screws but they were too long. Everytime I'd advance the revolver in it, the too long screws would scratch the SS revolver mechanism.

Short of sending it back to S&W for $100 I probably can't sell it.

Z

Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzen View Post
This is SO hard to read! Punctuation would help it make sense. We may be backwoods up here, but Maineah's know what a period is and where it goes.
You're right ! Another one of these supposed college graduates who can't spell c-a-t! They use run on sentences, have no idea what a comma, capital letter, or period is for yet we're supposed to believe they are educated, worth our praise, time and direction!! I'd hate be the human resources manager trying to decipher that resume'.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I tried to sell my .357 mag S&W and the dealer told me I had used +P rounds in it. I said no but he said he could tell by the scrapes in the revolver. Unfortunatley for me, I had purchased a red-dot sight for it and then lost the screws to put it in when I transferred it to my .22 S&W revolver. So I went to the hardward store and got new screws but they were too long. Everytime I'd advance the revolver in it, the too long screws would scratch the SS revolver mechanism.

Z
The gun is worth much more that the $100.00 to fix it so it's worth a trip to a gunsmith. You don't have to send it to S&W. Any competent gunsmith can order and fit a new cylinder for it and replace the screws in the site. Everyone has done something to a gun they have regretted at one time or another. You really should fix it! .357 is a nice handgun round!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

Z
Have a licensed gunsmith put the right screws in it, and 're-finish' the weapon.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
I can't see [the other] Z's posts but...

Quote:
I tried to sell my .357 mag S&W and the dealer told me I had used +P rounds in it.
...is a load of rubbish.

A .38 +P load, while not recommended for older .38 Special revolvers which were not designed to handle the increased pressure, is still under-powered compared to a factory .357 magnum load. My Hornady Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading (fourth edition) tells me that .357 magnum loads start where .38 +P loads end at max pressure.

If a dealer *really* said that, he's either lying or stupid/uneducated. I'd like to know who it is so that I can avoid him, because is sounds like he is deliberately lying and untrustworthy. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I can imagine a gun dealer saying: "Duh, your .357 magnum is no good because you used .38 +P rounds in it, I can tell by the scrapes." There is something seriously wrong with this story.

I'm responding only in the interest of having accurate data out here.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

...is a load of rubbish.

A .38 +P load, while not recommended for older .38 Special revolvers which were not designed to handle the increased pressure, is still under-powered compared to a factory .357 magnum load. My Hornady Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading (fourth edition) tells me that .357 magnum loads start where .38 +P loads end at max pressure.

If a dealer *really* said that, he's either lying or stupid/uneducated. I'd like to know who it is so that I can avoid him, because is sounds like he is deliberately lying and untrustworthy. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I can imagine a gun dealer saying: "Duh, your .357 magnum is no good because you used .38 +P rounds in it, I can tell by the scrapes." There is something seriously wrong with this story.

There is such a thing as a .357 +p load but I read they are more manufacturer's hype than anything vastly more powerful than a .38 +P load.
The scratch thing I thought was related to the long screws in the site not the plus p rounds. Maybe not. I still think a new cylinder fitted to the revolver and proper site screws would fix it right up.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

...is a load of rubbish.

There is such a thing as a .357 +p load but I read they are more manufacturer's hype than anything vastly more powerful than a .38 +P load.
The scratch thing I thought was related to the long screws in the site not the plus p rounds. Maybe not. I still think a new cylinder fitted to the revolver and proper site screws would fix it right up. Either way it HAS to be worth $100.00 (though a cylinder and the fitting would be more than that). They don't give those guns away.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The scratch thing I thought was related to the long screws in the site not the plus p rounds. Maybe not. I still think a new cylinder fitted to the revolver and proper site screws would fix it right up. Either way it HAS to be worth $100.00 (though a cylinder and the fitting would be more than that). They don't give those guns away.
If it's stainless steel, the scratches from the screws could probably be polished out.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
The story sounded to me like he was just trying to lower the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine