Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,274 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I was wondering if there are any specific restrictions on boating on the Kennebec River in Bath near Bath Iron Works.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
having been striper/blue-fishing in the kennebec in that area years ago, we fished the other side of the river, there is a public bath boat launch just north of biw-most boaters i've seen just avoid getting too close to BIW
Im not aware of any laws/restrictions, but i never inquired about it -you can always call the bath town office and ask.

It's a nice boatride from bath to popham

we launched from gardiner and went to popham a few yrs back, a very nice ride!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
It's nice in that area but the tides can be tricky. There is a place in the river called he**s gate or something like that where the tide can easily push you onto the rocks. Ask the locals they will know exactly where it is and how to avoid it. It also gets pretty rough on the outgoing tide at the mouth of the river to Seguin where the currents collide. There are no restrictions at BIW though it's a busy place so we give it a wide berth. Red right returning!!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:11 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Launching anywhere near BIW can be very tricky due to the current in that area. It's nearly impossible to do alone, experience speaking here. Even docking in that area requires quite a bit of skill. I kept my first boat at Kennebec Tavern Marina one year, what a cluster and not much of a marina either. Decent food and gas only, no supplies.

BIW does have bright orange restriction buoys and boats patrolling the area, you're not allowed to be close enough to the yard to be able to photograph anything that might disclose anything going on in there. If you get too close, those patrol boats will come greet you and steer you away.

If you're into striper fishing, you'll see a lot of boats out there across from BIW at the head of Back River drift fishing. Just get in line, wait your turn and then start casting. Fun stuff.

Upper and lower Hell's Gates in the Back River are fine if you're an experienced boater. Have your chart and / or depth finder handy and stay alert of others that might not know the area either. Back River in my opinion is the most scenic way to get up to Boothbay Harbor. Nice ride up through there and Townsend Gut is one of my favorite places to hang out.

Stop at Five Islands and have lunch at one of the docks there and watch the seals play in front.

If you need a sight seeing guide or a first mate, I'm available!

Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,287 times
To eliminate any confusion, the river directly across The Kennebec from The Bath Iron Works is The Sasanoa River. Upper and Lower Hells Gates are both on the Sasanoa on opposite sides of where The Back River cross it in Brookings Bay.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 AM

109 posts, read 198,745 times
YES, stay clear of and outside the bouy area. The "patrol boat" is heavily armed and they are not playing around. After the incident with the USS COLE, you will likely find any conceived aggressive movement towards BIW or ships there will end up with perforations in your vessel and/or you!

If you are scouting here for a way in [I see it's your first post] DHS already expects you.There is more than enough river to play in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine