Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times

Advertisements

For nearly three years, I have been Churchill before Poland. Now, to the moderator and any other doubters, doesn't this article prove my pain. Yes, pain. I am sad that there is no integrity in JCPS administration.

Angry parents seek school assignment transfers | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,096,009 times
Oh Lord now I am a bit worried. My kids are in traditional so hopefully it won't effect me much but they used to not get home from school til 5:00 everyday and I hated that, but the schol wasn't 25 miles away. I can't imagine how long they would be on the bus then!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:43 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,886 times
Basically the JCPS told the Supreme Court, "Up Yours." I would love to see this thing go the Federal level, these guys are obsessed with racial and economic integration. I can remember in the late 70's we were supposed to attend elementary school 10 miles away, near the west end of L'ville. My folks said no way, and by July we were living in LaGrange.

Ironically,the big winner in all this are the Jefferson Co Parochial Schools and and the other various private schools.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Basically the JCPS told the Supreme Court, "Up Yours." I would love to see this thing go the Federal level, these guys are obsessed with racial and economic integration. I can remember in the late 70's we were supposed to attend elementary school 10 miles away, near the west end of L'ville. My folks said no way, and by July we were living in LaGrange.

Ironically,the big winner in all this are the Jefferson Co Parochial Schools and and the other various private schools.
You are so right on every point. Just to add to your last point, a year of parochial high school is about $7500 per child per year. Put that into an Oldham County home, your child will have a great education, you'll have at least twenty thousand towards each child's college, and the only expense will be about 5-7000 in additional commute cost, assuming that you would live 5 miles or less from your work in Jefferson County.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
School districts/ redistricting and high taxes are the main reason America's central cities have declined in population so much since 1950. I still say that the high amounts of energy needed for people to commute from those isolated rural subdivisions, not to mention all the farmland that is gone forever are issues that weaken America in the future. Our economy is ruined when gas gets above $4 a gallon because everyone has to drive to get to everything

Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
School districts/ redistricting and high taxes are the main reason America's central cities have declined in population so much since 1950. I still say that the high amounts of energy needed for people to commute from those isolated rural subdivisions, not to mention all the farmland that is gone forever are issues that weaken America in the future. Our economy is ruined when gas gets above $4 a gallon because everyone has to drive to get to everything
Census, you are dead on target!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
For nearly three years, I have been Churchill before Poland. Now, to the moderator and any other doubters, doesn't this article prove my pain. Yes, pain. I am sad that there is no integrity in JCPS administration.

Angry parents seek school assignment transfers | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
Your arguments that you can't get as good an education in JCPS as you can in OCPS are incorrect (though potentially prophetic if Berman and Co. get their way). However, your arguments that the administration of OCPS is worlds better than JCPS are spot-on. JCPS is a microcosm of what this country is rapidly becoming: "make sure no one fails or excels - strive for homogeneity."

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Your arguments that you can't get as good an education in JCPS as you can in OCPS are incorrect (though potentially prophetic if Berman and Co. get their way). However, your arguments that the administration of OCPS is worlds better than JCPS are spot-on. JCPS is a microcosm of what this country is rapidly becoming: "make sure no one fails or excels - strive for homogeneity."
First of all.... I have NEVER said that a child can not get a good education in JCPS. I have said and I will continue to say that child for child, OCBE does a better job than JCPS.

My biggest and most emphatic argument is that the people of Jefferson County deserve to have a better educational opportunity for their children. Once again the middle of the pack is the forgotten group. People with money can buy their child a better education. Some people without money will sacrifice with unbelievable suffering to see that their child gets that education even if its a parochial or private school. People at the lower end of the financial chart can get a very uplifting education, but they don't know how to motivate their children to excel. There are millions of dollars being spent on a group of people that really could care less. It's not that they don't want to care, they don't know why or how to care.

So, the middle gets busted again. Hauling children like cattle for hours weekly, pushing the advanced classes and the alternative classes for those who are capable but very much underachievers.

The retired principal of one of Kentucky's most recognized high schools said 30 years ago that of 1,500 students in his school he knew about 2/3 personally. The top third and the bottom third, but those in the middle just where not on his radar.

Don't you think our students, your child maybe, deserves the best?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,886 times
Wow, if you want to get a pulse of the anger of some parents, read the comments in the CJ article. I read, in one situation, a child that lived in Prospect was being reassigned to an elementary school in Portland.
I wonder if some of the parents could band together and force thing back into the the court system?
FWIW, if we ever move back to the L'ville area, we will be looking at Oldham or Shelby County. I love Louisville, but I will not send my kids to the circus better known as JCPS.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
No sir. Racism is the reason that America's central cities have declined. After the riots of the 1960's, whites feld central cities across America. This trend sadly continues today. It is nothing more than closet racism. Why are places like the highlands and old louisville full of "liberals?" The answer is these are the only people left who do not believe in this policy. I have now lived in 7 cities and visited another 64 of the top 100 largest metro areas. I can tell you that every city has a Highlands, and every city has an Oldham County, they are just to differing degress of sophistication or local culture. Disguise it any other way you must, but racism is what it is. And until this fact changes, and Americans institutes smart growth, energy efficient construction, and mass transit, it will continue to be a declining cesspool. I would actually love to move to Europe.

In fact, I would be inclined to argue that almost all America's problems are rooted in its history of classim, racism, and slavery. Even our healthcare crisis is a direct result of our social situation. Who is crowding ERs, dying from heart disease, and has a 800% higher prevalance of HIV? Minorites. And the divide only gets worse. Until the established and upper classes try to solve our social and cultural problems instead of running to sprawling exurbs like Oldham County, then this country will continue to have more and more problems. It is all interralated. Racism creates classism, whcih creates segregation, which leads to sprawl, which leads to wasted energy etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area