Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times

Advertisements

There is a Confederate acres in SW Jefferson County, it is in district 13 :

The neighborhoods represented in District 13 include Auburndale, Candlelight, Confederate Acres, Fairdale, Glengarry, Minor Lane Heights, Scottsdale, Yorktown North & South and parts of Valley Station.

I doubt they will change their name anytime soon.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,806 times
Quote:
n the past three years the name of the monument was changed to Unity and the street on Greek Row was changed to Unity Place from Confederate Place. Oldham should do the same with that subdivision. If a similarly named subdivision exists in Jefferson County, it should change its name too.
I really disagree with this statement. Whitewashing history.

Quote:
Wrong, Confederate Estates gets its name from being in very close proximity to the Confederate Cemetery in Pewee Valley Kentucky.
I belive there was a Confederate Veterans or Widows home in Oldham, too. This is near Floydsburg/Crestwood area?

I have to say I find this a bit disturbing myself. Oldham was not known, during my time in Louisville, as Klan country. Now I do know that Bullit and Fairdale did have more of a Klan presence at one time.

Historically (in the 1920s and 30s) there was more serious Klan activity in SW Jefferson County, real no-joke nightriding Klan activity, burning down black churches and (I suspect) driving the black country folk out of the area, since there was a rural black community there since after the Civil War.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,806 times
Quote:
There is a Confederate acres in SW Jefferson County, it is in district 13 :

The neighborhoods represented in District 13 include Auburndale, Candlelight, Confederate Acres, Fairdale, Glengarry, Minor Lane Heights, Scottsdale, Yorktown North & South and parts of Valley Station.
I think there is a Robert E Lee Drive somewhere in Louisville, too.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville is not even one of the most progressive racial places in the nation, so how can its conservative, 95% white exurb be? (a county that doubled in population from around 14k to 28k in the 1970s when Louisville announced its bussing plan that helped integrate schools more).

Oldham County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, Tomox has misquoted me. I did not "expect racism" in Oldham County. Please refer to the original posting for the true context of what I said, in light of a sad and factual situation. What makes this case so disturbing and makes it less likely to be a teenage prank is that an actual interracial couple living in a subdivision called "Confederate Acres" was targeted with the flier while next door neighbors were not. Someone does not want her black husband there. Louisville actually had a monument called the Confederate Monument by Greek Row at UofL. In the past three years the name of the monument was changed to Unity and the street on Greek Row was changed to Unity Place from Confederate Place. Oldham should do the same with that subdivision. If a similarly named subdivision exists in Jefferson County, it should change its name too.
Unity Place? How refreshingly liberal... BTW, you inferred that you weren't surprised that this occurred in Oldham County. I grew up in Louisville and moved to OC back in the early 80's. There have been less than a handful of "hate" incidents in Oldham dating back to the 70's. Actually, a minority would be much safer in Oldham as opposed to the west end of Louisville or even the south part of the city. While I appreciate your enthusiasm about Louisville, your attacks on Oldham County are quite old.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Default Can I read?

STX, you stated that I misquoted you. How else would someone of reasonable understanding of the English language interpret this "but not surprised that it happened in Oldham county". If that is not an expectant phrase, then I suppose I best get a refresher course in English.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 982,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There is a subdivision called "Confederate Estates" in Oldham County? And a mixed race couple chose to live there? The developer might as well a sign at the entrance saying "Whites Only". I don't think you could get away with that even down here in North Alabama.
So are you saying blacks or inter-racial couples should not move to places like Plantation, Florida?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM

81 posts, read 254,426 times
Im guessing ill get flamed for this, but the KKK doesn't hang folks anymore but there are thousands of hate crimes against whites in this country from this thug culture gone ape****. Things are so screwed up in this counrty i halfway welcome them. As long as they stick to speaking only, all they are is the white version of jesse jackson and reverend wright. Why the hypocracy? Black folk and mexicans get to yell and scream why not the whites? Oh becuase we are the majority? yeah prolly not forever.

Ive given up on humans.....just whatever. Stupid idiots.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM

81 posts, read 254,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
In the past three years the name of the monument was changed to Unity and the street on Greek Row was changed to Unity Place from Confederate Place. Oldham should do the same with that subdivision. If a similarly named subdivision exists in Jefferson County, it should change its name too.

This makes me sick, what are we all 5 years old? We dont like what happened 400 years ago so lets pretend it never happened, Way to go!! Also a great way to honor and remember our slaves, indentured servants, and soldiders who fought on either side for what they thought was right.

The civil may have been fought for white indentured servants just as much for black slaves anyway. But we wont get into that one. We just want unity, even if it is a lie.

Again, this is bottom of the gutter pathetic.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
I have to agree that the name of the street and monument shouldn't have been changed. Right, wrong or indifferent it was a part of our history and should remain as such. Another monument could have also been erected to appease those who didn't like the other.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,876 times
A few random thoughts. I didn't see stx's comment as being anti-Oldham county, nor do I remember him having a vendetta against Oldham County. What I got from his post was that he was somewhat surprised it happened in OC, which is a compliment in a way. I'm not surprised if this happens in Mississippi but I am when it happens in this area.

My feeling is that the Klan presence in OC is practically non-existent. This seems to be a very isolated occurance, which is one reason it made so much news.

As to Confederate Acres, the one I know about is a little older subdivision, probably built back in the 70's by my guess. So we have had a little progress since then and I'd be very surprised if any developer today would have a subdivision with roads names Mananas Drive or Five Forks Drive or Missionary Ridge Drive. (Although in a way, it seems to me he was probably more of a Civil War fan than a Confederacy fan -- Five Forks was a huge Confederate defeat, so much so that sometimes it is called the "Waterloo of the Confederacy." A neo-Confederate would never have named a street Five Forks.)

I think a lot of these names are left over from previous times when we were not so enlightened. Also, I did run a map search for Jeff Co and did not see a Robert E. Lee Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area